E1B Optic stress cracks?

Dreck

Newly Enlightened
I was showing my friend my new E1B and he asked "what kind of reflector that was around the LED and what was that star thingy in the middle?" Of course I said "star thingy?"
Upon further inspection I noticed if one looks into the head straight-on there is what looks like radial cracks coming from the opening where the emitter is. I checked my KX2 abd it had only one but very small. The E1B has about six. Could it be that the person who assembled this head torqued it down a little too much? Have any of you noticed this in yours be it an E1B or any of the TIR optics from S/F?
I wouldn't think the performance would be affected...or would it?

Chao

Enlightened
I check mine, I don't see any cracks you described in my E1B optics, I think it may not affect the performance, but you can send it to Surefire for replacement.

greenLED

Flashaholic
back in the day I woul've blamed it on "farkle" (ha! I just dated my CPFself) but today's emitters... better call SF.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
My E1B optic has three of these. I wouldn't worry about it.

Yes, "farkle" was the first word that came to my mind, too. :p

Dreck

Newly Enlightened
I'll have to wait untill I get home. I've got a pretty good macro on my camera so I should be able to get some pretty good pix.

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a few on my E2L and on my L1 but they are not that long. I just don't care, as the lights work perfectly and it probably doesn't affect the beam. Anyway, those lights don't have the most perfect beam I've ever seen but they are quite useful when you don't hunt white wall! ;)

Dreck

Newly Enlightened
It came this way right out of the package. I kind'a "noticed" them when I opened it at first but this was in broad daylight. I thought they were just reflections. Like I said in my first post, my KX2 has some also...but only two and one's pretty long. Apparently these are passing S/F's final inspection, but still they ARE cracks. I guess as long as they don't get any bigger or cause any weird artifacts in the beam I can live with them. I just goy mt E1 and gotten quite attached to it and I really don't want to send it back already.
Still...wouldn't you think...

greenLED

Flashaholic
More than cracks, they look like scuffs.

A couple of years back that would've made me feel differently and would've contacted SF. Nowdays, I wouldn't worry about it.

cv3po

Banned
Hmmm, mine have a few of those as well. I'm not too concerned about 'em but being the curious type I'd REALLY like to know what the heck they are. My E1B has 2-long and 2-short almost in an X pattern. The beam on mine is also not "whitewall" perfect but is totally serviceable for actual useage. Whatever, it's still a great light and it sounds like this phenomenon is just a character mark of the TIR optics :shrug:

BTW, I'd bet that PK can tell us what these are...........

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do the new generation of emitters even have potential farkle?
My E1B doesn't have any of these marks.
Could they have been caused by dropping?
Is it possible that it is just an optical illusion?
If these "cracks" are not visible in the beam then maybe they aren't physical....Just thinking out loud...
Yaesumofo

Dreck

Newly Enlightened
Farkle....boy do do I remember that...wasn't it Arc Farkle? (my LS1 never had any) More than anything..I just would like to know what these things are and why they are in my light.

dougie

Enlightened
I am guessing but I think these marks are as a result of defects in some of the optics. Either poor QC, assembly, or both. I have just had an original KL1 modified for me and the optic which was perfect is now showing some of these types of marks. However, I don't regard it as an issue as the body of the optic is quite substantial and not subject to unnecessary stress or movement so the optic is hardly going to self destruct. My own E1B doesn't have any of these marks and I've not seen too many other posts about this issue so I assume that it isn't too widespread?

As a precaution (because I'm overly cautious) I've always used a filter rubber on the bezel to protect it from cosmetic damage in the event of dropping it (which I've done on numerous occasions). However, I'm not sure that this is necessary to protect the optic. My opinion (for what it is worth) is to either return it to Surefire or to keep it and see if the problem becomes any more noticeable over time?

My 2 cents

Doug