Tax rebates starting to arrive this monday!

kavvika

Enlightened
I won't be getting a rebate. In fact, I owe some money. Guess I'll just have to wait until I start my summer job to purchase more lights.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Normally I would hhave gotten the full rebate, but as Mom died last year, I inherited her IRA. Of course I had to use a bit more than half to pay her final bills, but got taxed on the full amount (Lawyers say that in 2-3 years when the estate is final, I can remove the bills from my taxes, but...)

So, not only did I have to pay taxes on Money I never saw, it bumped ME into AMT, and now I don't get a DIME back on the rebate, PLUS it pushed me into a higher bracket - overall, I actually LOST about $1500 inheriting Mom's IRA

jtr1962

Flashaholic
It's a puzzle for sure. A tax rebate to stimulate the U.S. economy being sent to China????
They had what I wanted at a price I could afford. If the US actually still made this kind of stuff at similar prices I would gladly buy here. It's lost on those in power that the current service economy can't provide enough decent jobs. We need to rebuild our manufacturing base. Don't blame me-blame those who created the problem. With high food prices, my hobby budget is down to a couple of hundred a year at best. I thank DX for letting me stretch this budget as far as possible.

Just out of curiosity, does buying on eBay from US sellers count as stimulating the economy? I plan to do a bit of that as well.

axolotls

Enlightened
Thank the future that I get the full amount. Everyone else that works with me (most) don't.

It won't even be half of what I paid the Fed's and Arnold on the 15th, but I already bought stuff on the card in anticipation. Gotta kick start the economy right? (good enough excuse for now).

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
yup that rebate is going straight to the gas pump:poof:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
It's a puzzle for sure. A tax rebate to stimulate the U.S. economy being sent to China????

Britain had the 19th Century; the U.S. had the 20th Century. Now China will have the 21st. It was hopeless to think that the U.S. could (or should) continue its dominance....power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely. Always has, and always will. :mecry: It was a good run.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
personal opinion aside, what does that have to do with Empath's post?

Britain had the 19th Century; the U.S. had the 20th Century. Now China will have the 21st. It was hopeless to think that the U.S. could (or should) continue its dominance....power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely. Always has, and always will. :mecry: It was a good run.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast

I say we bomb China...just take them damm flashlights
:scowl:

Why is oil so high? Didn`t we just win a war with a oil rich country? Where`s the payback on that investment? Riches of war?

Rome lasted 2000 years. They knew how to get the goods...

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Why is oil so high? Didn`t we just win a war with a oil rich country? Where`s the payback on that investment? Riches of war?
To add insult to injury U.S. troops in Iraq pay twice what Iraqis do for gas

As much as I'd love to discuss the geopolitical ramifications of this "police action" as it's termed, we both know that by doing so the thread will end up getting deep-sixed. :(

Rome lasted 2000 years. They knew how to get the goods...
Rome was expert at getting popular support from the masses in whatever country they conquered. I'll also add that in many cases the living standards of the conquered countries rose substantially under Roman rule.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Already spent it... I got the Planet Bike Alias HID that I mentioned I'd be looking to get in the previous thread regarding the rebates. I couldn't wait. I did sell some lights to mostly pay for it, though. It's completely self contained, no wires. It makes it easy for me to quickly fold my bike without having to disconnect any wires and battery packs, same story when unfolding.

Actually, though, I forgot about the rebate, so now that I know it's coming, I've got something else planned, which will be a Garmin Forerunner 101 or 102 with handlebar mount to use as my bicycle computer. Oh yeah, there's also a new a offering from Fivemega, yet to be officially announced, that he showed off at the LA Flashapalooza that sticks in the back of my mind as something I must have.

The rest will probably either go towards credit cards, or baby clothes. (wife is due in a couple of months!)

Mine comes direct deposit, so according to the links, mine should be here very soon! Hip Hip...!

Last edited:

Probedude

Enlightened
what's the point of the rebate then?:shrug:

Next door neighbor yesterday tells me, "You know where the money from the tax rebate is coming from? China! They lent us the money!"

Googling I found this
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23957476/

So I guess he is partially correct.

Me? My big boy toys are made in China, Japan, Malaysia. Gas is coming from the middle East.

I guess I could buy some rice (made in California) or go out to eat a lot.
Not much made here anymore.

Last edited: