**Arc LS SSC P7 TriFlupic Mod** UPDATED

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Yes you read correctly. I stuffed a P7 into an Arc LS! I've been carrying it for about a week now. Although I'm not done, I said I would post this week so here it is.

Body:
-Sterile HA Arc LS w/ 1x123 TSP (currently using R123 but will change to a 14670)

Light Engine:
-Aleph E-Screw, TriFlupic, SSC P7 CSWOI

Reflector, Lens:
-Khatod 20mm smooth reflector, shortened & turned down using a Dremel to spin it. Mineral glass lens.

Beam is not a flood type beam. The modified Khatod produces a hotspot that is very large with a very slight hint of a donut hole. I can't stand donut holes & this is so slight that it doesn't bother me. Hotspot is 2ft in diameter at 5 foot distance. I'm working on a McR-20 as a replacement. Beamshots to come later.

So do I currently have the brightest Arc LS in the world?

Thanks for looking. Hope you enjoy, I know I am! :wave:

Update:

Thanks Fred/PhotonFanatic's great work, I now have a 14670 Li-Ion TSP. I've also modified a McR-20 to fit (again, modified using a Dremel) & gives a much nicer beam now. Looks sexier too! Beamshot in the second post. Pics below, size comparison pic also included.
Now my mod is complete! :party:

Img_1507.jpg

Img_1478.jpg

Img_1298.jpg

Img_1302.jpg

Img_1355.jpg

Img_1464.jpg

Khatod 20mm Smooth:
Img_1472.jpg

Img_1466.jpg

Img_1358.jpg

Update:

14670 TSP:
Img_1789.jpg

Img_1781.jpg

McR-20
Img_1745.jpg

Img_1750.jpg

Img_1767.jpg

Last edited:

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Re: **Arc LS SSC P7 TriFlupic Mod**

Beamshots w/ Triflupic on max. All camera settings locked. Taken from 4 ft. (Sorry the beamshots are so close together. I was limited on space)

Left: Arc LS CSWOI McR-20, Right: McLux PR 3x123 VVOU Direct Drive:
Arc_LS_CSWOI_McR20_McLuxPR_3x123_VV.jpg

Left: Arc LS CSWOI Khatod 20mm, Right: Arc LSH-ST Stock
Arc_LS_CSWOI_Khatod20_Arc_LSH-ST.jpg

Left: Arc LS CSWOI Khatod 20mm, Right: Arc LS USXOH 611ma McR-18S
Arc_LS_CSWOI_Khatod20_USXOH_611_McR.jpg

Left: Arc LS CSWOI Khatod 20mm, Right: Surefire L4 Stock
Arc_LS_CSWOI_Khatod20_SF_L4.jpg

Last edited:

roguesw

Enlightened

Whats your drive level on the flu-pic darkzero?
I am contemplating a build similar to this, stuffing a P7 into
a McLux PR head, but downgrading the drive level from 2800 mA
to about 1000 mA
cheers
nice build
Best regards
Des

easilyled

Flashaholic

Wow, what a neat job.

I love the Aleph tri-flupic P7 L.E

I have an Aleph-LE compatible 27XR light made by TB.

Apparently the P7 should fit straight into the hole of the 27XR reflector
to produce a nice beam.

This L.E looks like it might be exactly what I want.

toby_pra

Flashaholic

How did you get 2.8Ah ti this LED?

How ybout some beamshots?

This Arc looks awesome man!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast

That is Crazy Cool!!!!!!!
Fantastic Work!

I don know... maybe we have to call you BRIGHTzero from now on :crackup:

BTW Happy B-day :party::party::party::party:

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast

That led is either way underdriven or you're torturing your cells. I assume you already know this, though. :p

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,

Thanks Miguel & olrac. Yup I turned 30 today! I feel old now.:party: :laughing:

roguesw, I have no idea what the TriFlupic puts out. I'm running the outputs in parallel. I'm still trying to find a definite answer. Anyone know what each output is rated?

toby_pra, I promise to get beamshots but not till next week or so when I get my other tail pack & the McR-20 in. I will post beamshots with both reflectors.

Fallingwater, as you can see in the pic, I'm running the three outputs of the TriFlupic in parallel to the P7. I don't know what the the TriFlupic is rated but I doubt it can get 2.8a to the P7 on a R123. It's still very bright though & gets really hot if left on for a while! Yes I know I'm killing the Li-Ion. I'll be using a 14670 later but even with that I'm sure it's tough on the battery. That's ok, I have plenty of other Arc LSs for practical & every day use. This one is strictly for the cool factor & for showing off. :grin2:

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast

Absolutely fantastic. When LS3 sleeps, it dreams of being your mod.

Where do I send my LSH to get modded? Just kidding... :broke:

TexLite

Enlightened

roguesw, I have no idea what the TriFlupic puts out. I'm running the outputs in parallel. I'm still trying to find a definite answer. Anyone know what each output is rated.

Fallingwater, as you can see in the pic, I'm running the three outputs of the TriFlupic in parallel to the P7. I don't know what the the TriFlupic is rated but I doubt it can get 2.8a to the P7 on a R123. It's still very bright though & gets really hot if left on for a while! Yes I know I'm killing the Li-Ion. I'll be using a 14670 later but even with that I'm sure it's tough on the battery. That's ok, I have plenty of other Arc LSs for practical & every day use. This one is strictly for the cool factor & for showing off. :grin2:

Great Mod,Very Clean!

Level 8 I'm getting 1421ma,Burst is 1200ma per output,I get like 3.576a.It heats up a 2D Mag pretty well at that that level,I cant imagine that little rocket with a cell that could actually provide close to that amperage to the emitter.The strange thing is on level 10 output is 2214ma,its maxed here except for the step up to burst.If I,m getting full current on three outputs thats ~730ma per out,not sure what to make of this.I'm going to put together another and check the current output.

Michael

Last edited:

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,

Great Mod,Very Clean!

Level 8 I'm getting 1421ma,Burst is 1200ma per output,I get like 3.576a.It heats up a 2D Mag pretty well at that that level,I cant imagine that little rocket with a cell that could actually provide close to that amperage to the emitter.The strange thing is on level 10 output is 2214ma,its maxed here except for the step up to burst.If I,m getting full current on three outputs thats ~730ma per out,not sure what to make of this.I'm going to put together another and check the current output.

Michael

How do I get to burst mode?

EDIT: N/M saw your other post. Thanks Michael.

Last edited:

TexLite

Enlightened

Yep,same for the Tri-Flupic.Burst is level 3.This is the only thread I know of,but if you have the flowchart you probably already seen it. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/123520

It should have came in Interface 1,press 5 times,not click,and hold on the 5th press.If all presses have been less than 1 second each,you'll see a quick flash,if you continue to hold it will flash twice,three times and so on.If you want interface two,just release the momentary switch after it flashes two times but before it flashes three times etc.To set the levels 1 and 2 in interface 2,press the switch 7 times and hold the seventh,you'll see one flash indicating you're about to set level one,after the one flash and as you continue to hold the switch the Flupic will turn on at brightness 1 and step up through brightness 10,when you get to the level you want it set at,just release the switch.To set level 2,same procedure,7 presses,hold the 7th,flash once for level 1,continue to hold,will count up to 10,the down to 0,continue to hold,Flupic will flash twice for level 2,will progress up through the levels,just realease the switch at the level you want in set.

Once you get the hang of it you wont even need the chart,seriously.I still prefer interface 1,I have it set for 2,8,then burst.If I'm somewhere where I think I'll need high brightness right off or I'll be turning in on and off a lot,I set it for 8,2,burst,that way I just need one click.

Michael

Edit:Ha,Ha Cross posted again.Man I must type slow.

Last edited:

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast

:wow: very nice mod Will. :clap: :twothumbs ... and glad to have you back my (old... :grin2: :aaa: ) friend! :buddies:

Nice lanyard btw... :thumbsup: where did you get it from? :thinking:

Last edited:

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cool Mod :)

I'd be worried about driving a Li-Ion cell that hard. I hope your using a Protected Cell?? Since R123's are really only around 600-650ma 1.2 amps is the max you should be driving them.

Mac

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,

:wow: very nice mod Will. :clap: :twothumbs ... and glad to have you back my (old... :grin2: :aaa: ) friend! :buddies:

Nice lanyard btw... :thumbsup: where did you get it from? :thinking:

Thanks ol' pal! :buddies:

I got the nice skull lanyard from J Smith. They normally come in a longer length but he can make them in different sizes upon request. He also offers monkey fists too.

GreenLED gave me a nice lanyard not too long ago (Thanks again Miguel!). I liked it a lot but found that he was not offering them anymore. When I saw that Jeff was offering them I asked if he could make the size I wanted & he did. Miguel's lanyard has a twisted body which I like very much too which you can see below. I hope he starts making them again. :poke:

The glow in the dark bead is courtesy of Sigman (thanks Rick, see I knew I would find a use for them).

Img_1534.jpg

Last edited:

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cool Mod :)

I'd be worried about driving a Li-Ion cell that hard. I hope your using a Protected Cell?? Since R123's are really only around 600-650ma 1.2 amps is the max you should be driving them.

Mac

I'll add to this, 2C is about the limit for what anyone would want to discharge a LiON, and Mac's right, according to testing done by some folks I trust a great deal on such matters, most RCR123 deliver about 600mAh regardless of how they're labeled.

The problem is not usually on the discharge side of things, though... what typically happens is the cell structure gets damaged by the extreme discharge and symptoms show up when one goes to recharge the depleted cell.

Best but unlikely case: nothing happened, cell is perfect!

More likely case: cell's service life has been reduced to about 10 charge cycles.

Worst case: vent, flame, KABOOM! :eek:oo:

I really don't think it's worth the risk, frankly. Just be caseful please.