P7 in a L6.... Didn't go so well.

Supernam

Enlightened
It's not even worth posting pictures. So I bought an L6 a couple of years ago. It has gone through a couple of transformations since then. Originally it was a Lux V at about 700mA. I was unhappy with the donut and about 6 months after getting it, I had a Cree P4 put into it by CM and the current bumped to 1A. It was way brighter, but the beam became a little TOO narrow. It was like a little needle with bright spill. I then swapped out the Cree for a SSC P4 USVOH. The beam improved and the color was much cleaner.

The light has been well used. It was never a shelf queen from day one, it has banged against plenty of Yosemite granite, taken a fall on asphalt, and been clicked on until HOT inside of a duffel bag. It can take it all!

With technology developing at an exponential rate, I knew that while the cool looks of the L6 will never get old, the performance will. The head at this at this point had numerous scratches around the bezel and other damage to the HA. So... I took a big risk and decided to try the P7 swap.

I started by drilling a 3/8" hole to enlarge reflector, it fit perfectly. I didn't have to touch the driver since it was already running at 1A and the Vf's of the previous Cree and SSC P4's were similar to the P7's. I was most concerned with the reflector's focus with the quad die P7. If it turned out ok, I would order an SOB1500 from the shoppe and have a handy 400lm L6. Unfortunately... the beam was NOT nice.

DARN DONUT HOLE!

Yes it was brighter but... DARN DONUT HOLE.

It's ok, it was the KL6's time to retire. Goodbye KL6, you have served me well. Someone hold me. :grouphug:

Last edited:

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't give up just yet. At what distances do you get a donut hole? Have you tried backing it out of the reflector a bit to see if it helps? If that doesn't work you may have to trim the bottom of the reflector a bit to get it to its sweet spot.

-LT

marcdilnutt

Enlightened
Dont give up, you can cure a donut pretty easily. If you really dont want it any more you can send it to me!

Supernam

Enlightened
I tried... The believe the focal point is correct. The beam gets worse when you go in or out. It actually comes down to the fact that it has 4 dies. So it projects cross looking shape in the beam.

This was true with the Mag hosts also, even though you can adjust infinitely with those, there will always be a cross in the beam. It's easy to fix with a Mag though with some texturing.

I was hoping that the MOP of the SF reflector would handle the die configuration of the P7. It doesn't, lol.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try a diffuser film on the window. I think Milky did that with Donns to help clean up the beam. Hell, try some scotch tape if you have any around or that protective film for PDA's. It just might work....

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried... The believe the focal point is correct. The beam gets worse when you go in or out. It actually comes down to the fact that it has 4 dies. So it projects cross looking shape in the beam.

The original Lux V has 4 dies too. At certain distances it will show a void but in use it's not visible. I still think it should be tweakable.

-LT

Lightguy27

Enlightened
So what are you going to do with it? I would send it off to milky to see what he could do with it if you are sure that the P7 won't work, Im sure that he could still make you a "Handy 400lm L6".

-Evan

ICUDoc

Enlightened
Great experiment- thanks for posting. Any chance of a reflector swap in that lovely reliable old frame to help you out. I can't remember how mine looks inside ( at work now so can't go and look). Good luck, and it is nice to see everyone supporting you in this!!!

Supernam

Enlightened
Honestly, I think the KL6 is pretty poorly designed. The emitter is mounted to a pretty thin aluminum plate that is screwed to 3 posts which is the only way that heat is transfered to that giant head. SF could have easily designed it differently to conduct heat better.

I'm probably going to send it to Milky. It's a pretty beat up head as I've stated, so I don't know if I even want to spend money on it. I might just give it to Scott no strings attached.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nam, sorry to hear about these developments. Per your request I just emailed you... I'll try to get the old guy back into some form of useful service. :thumbsup: