Glo Toob Problems?

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got a blue Glo Toob FX. It seems to be very difficult to switch between modes. Most times than not it doesn't switch easily. I have to find a sweet spot to make the jump from one mode to next, requiring several tries, sometimes it skips modes.

I had to attach a small carabiner to the split ring and pull on it to make tension while twisting the little on/off plug to get it to switch thru. anyone else have this problem?
I got it as a gift and not really able to get another one. Otherwise I would find it a useful little gadget to have.

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to the instructions its wait 5 seconds to "lock" the mode, then quick on/offs to switch, isn't it?

Don't have instructions with me right now, but I'll give it a try.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Turn it on.
Wait 7-8 seconds (instructions say 5 seconds - ignore that), and press switch to toggle between modes.
Once you find the mode you want, stop.
Give it 5 seconds in that mode, and the Toob will lock itself onto it.

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
This one doesn't have a switch per say (FX model). I think its the lithium model that has the switch.

Regardless its a pita because as you tighten down the post in the cap, you get to a certain point where it barely makes a connection and you have to kind of "work around" this area. Sometimes it switches modes easily, sometimes it takes many, many tries, sometimes it switches so fast you end up skipping modes and have to go around the menu again.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Reference the earlier models...I sprayed some electronic contact cleaner/lube in & around the threads. Went through "several" on/off/on/off/on/off cycles & mine worked much easier.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Webley445, I had this problem when I first got my FX, and tried for days to "trouble-shoot" it. I was at the store looking at spare batteries, and noticed the energizer/duracell ones had a plastic base at the positive terminal. Needless to say, I bought two, took them home and replaced them with the factory battery, and they worked fine. Looking at the factory "cheapo" battery, the terminal had a "cardboard" base, which seemed to interfer with the connection some what, and made it hardeer to turn the cap switch. The switch spun alot smoother on the plastic base batteries, and I haven't had a problem since. Hope this helps?

litetube

Enlightened
I recently got a lithium Glotoob and I have to say the process of switching modes is a complete PITA. This has to be the worst UI I have ever encountered .

I sit there trying to count 5 seconds and it takes on average 5 MINUTES of stopping and starting over again and again and again and finally "catching" it by accident and then trying to react quickly enough before loosing the window of change. I cant imagine ever needing this thing in a stressful situation. And is it --turn it on and then start counting or start counting right precisley when activated ? And then is it right on 5 or 5 and then .....

Anyway you see where I am going. I have finally just gotten sick and tired of fiddling with it have set it to the britest (which is pretty lame) and left it in a corner to collect dust. I might throw it in a saddle bag on my bike in case I break down and set it to strobe or something .

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
litetube,
I feel your pain bro. I really don't see using this item in a stressful situation. Probably the best I would think right now, is to set it to a specific function and use if needed.

I suppose if I got lost on a mountain top or out at sea, then I would need to adjust for the situation. But it would be nice to change modes without it being too painful or arduous.

Angelofwar,
I was wondering about new batts. Will get some and try it out.

Thanks for all the inputs. I feel the Glo Toob would be most useful for signalling/marking tool. But nightlight function of full or semi on is a nice option. If nothing else a definite glovebox item in case of breakdowns.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Three pieces of "Food for thought" on the Glo-Toob FX:
1) I will concur that the Glo-Toob is not a easy to use device...but just think of it as driving...once you get it down you'll never forget. (Turn it on for five sec., off, and then on-off-on-off...etc. to the desired setting)
2) Glo-Toob's were originally designed as "locator" beacons, and this should be the primary purpose for which tey're intended...diving, spelunking, troop location, etc.. If you bought it for something else, then you would be easily frustrated once you realize you have nothing to do with it.
3) What really set's them apart is their indestructability...waterproof to the bottom of the ocean (ok, only 11,500 feet...in comparision, most "waterproof" lights are only good to 30'). These things can be dropped from virtually any height, run over by a car, kicked, and thrown, etc.

I switch mine between my Pelican case, 3-Day Assault Pack, or my CFP-90...basically for quick location of essential gear/etc. in a dark, non-hostile enviroment.

Just food for thought, but overall, they're a very well made peice of equipment...I just wish they wouldn't have skimped on the batteries.