[UPDATED: SSC P7 Aspherical on DHS Heatsink]KD's Aspherical Lens and Dropin

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi I Just got my Aspherical Lens and a Cree Drop-in from KD.
This is my first Apherical Flashlight, and i am very pleased with the result.

Lets the pictures tell the story. ENjoy

---First a short distance shots(<10m)---
I know the orange Sodium light is annoying :)
Fenix T1
DSCN7061.jpg

A Maglite 2D Using Osram 64250 + KD's SMO Allu Reflector.
DSCN7070.jpg

KD's Aspherical Lens and Dropin.
DSCN7085.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------
---Medium Distance(<20m)
Fenix T1
DSCN7101.jpg

Mag 250
DSCN7094.jpg

KD's Combo
DSCN7106.jpg

--Longer Distance(around 90m)
mag 250
DSCN7128.jpg

KD's Aspherical Lens
DSCN7123.jpg

--Even Longer Distance(415m, measure with Google Earth) :huh:
KD's Aspherical Lens
DSCN7135.jpg

Regards
Rizki P

Last edited:

IcantC

Enlightened
Re: KD's Aspherical Lens and Dropin first impressions

Thanks for the pictures, so what are your intial impressions? How is build quality and fit?

I passed on the aspheric setup for a P7 Mag since I had no use for it. Looks great though.

BenjiBot

Enlightened

Nice beam shots, love the laser-like spot of the aspherical. Have you got any info/links on KD lights? I haven't heard of them before and I've been after a Mac aspherical for a while (they don't crop up too often), so details would be nice if you have them. Oh, and your neighbourhood is prettier than mine!

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is pretty much just the push I needed to buy one. :eek:oo:

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the beamshots. How wide does it focus?

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like the Drop-in it just slide in nicely without filing or anything but to loose to make it sits still, build Quality is OK and the Drop-in is actualy made of 2 parts and can be screwed up and down. My dropin arrived "half" DOA. The driver seems to be a buck/boost type. But only buck is working on mine the boost(with 2AA) doesnt work. Now running with 4 Eneloops.
Jerry from KD is offering a free replacement and shipping for my Drop-in because it is DOA, i think i will play with it for awhile before send it back :)

I am not sure where the dropin should be sitting since it always sliding up because of the spring tension inside the mag tower, i had to add a piece of thin paper to make it really tight and sit nicely.

FYI.
The lens and the Drop-in have been in the making for more than 3 months, for those who followed the thread on CPF Marketplace knows the waiting was horrible :mecry: but finally KD pull it of.

this is the second part of the thread i mentioned. First part(feeler) is even older (before 2008 if i remembered correctly).

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=176061

First they make the Lens and latter on they have their Q5 Dropin as well. Now you lucky guys can order a Combo contains Lens and Drop-in and saves $10.

Link to the combo on CPF Marketplace.
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=178092

I believe KD is also offering a Protective Bezel for the lens but no known ETA on the bezel.

@BenjiBot: yeah a lot of vegetation around my house :)

@Jarl: not sure what you mean. but i made a beamshot from 2m(roughly) at that distance the size of the projected die is about 10cm.
DSCN7141.jpg

Thanks.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast

The stock mag is focusable, as are some aspheric mag mods (change the distance from lens to emitter will change the focus- make it more floody). Can the KD de-focus by tightening the mag bezel for a floodier beam?

KRS1

Newly Enlightened

So this KD drop in only work with this aspherical lense? i wanted to get other drop in with aspherical lense but not sure if it will give this throw beam ?

Rizky_P

can this http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.7031 work with 2d maglite?

i only got AA battery and dont own any D cell.

Please confirm

Thank you

Last edited:

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think DHS heatsink will work with KD's Lens, since mag head can be adjusted by twisting the head. Not sure about Malkoff or Hotlips heatsink though.

The adapter you are showing will have trouble making contact with the maglite spring since the negative metal plate is to deeply seated, have one my self and the metal spring wont make any contact to the negative side of the adapter.

So this KD drop in only work with this aspherical lense? i wanted to get other drop in with aspherical lense but not sure if it will give this throw beam ?

Rizky_P

can this http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.7031 work with 2d maglite?

i only got AA battery and dont own any D cell.

Please confirm

Thank you

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast

The stock mag is focusable, as are some aspheric mag mods (change the distance from lens to emitter will change the focus- make it more floody). Can the KD de-focus by tightening the mag bezel for a floodier beam?

Yes, just make the lens sits closer(tightening the head) to the lens and it will become a flood as long as the dropin sits deep enough inside the tube's end, different kind of flood compared to flood made by reflectors though.

Last edited:

KRS1

Newly Enlightened

Rizky_P

how deep and wide is your reflector?

And where or which adapter can i buy to host AA battery?

SOrry i never own a mag but soon i will :p

Last edited:

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast

Rizky_P

how deep and wide is your reflector?

And where or which adapter can i buy to host AA battery?

SOrry i never own a mag but soon i will :p

This Aspherical Setup doesnt use a Reflector if that is what you are reffering.
I am currently using 4 Eneloops using KD's cheap 3AA to D adapter with one of the adapter bypassed to hold 1 battery only to make total 4 AA inside 2D maglite.

Get a Mag Soon and mod it, its kind of an initiation for CPF members :)

KrisP

Enlightened

I think DHS heatsink will work with KD's Lens, since mag head can be adjusted by twisting the head.
As I said over in the MP, the KD lens DOES NOT work with the DHS heatsink. I've tried it, it doesn't work... The KD lens focal length is too short :(

[edit] Please disregard what i've written above. My DHS heatsink is recessed into the host so the focal length is extended more than normal.

Last edited:

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: [UPDATED: DHS Heatsink + SSC P7]KD's Aspherical Lens and Dropin

Ok i got my SSC 7 Mounted on DHS Heatsink and moved theKD's Aspherical Lens to this setup. It Actually works in projecting the 4 dies :huh:. I think Cree On DHS Heatsink should work with the lens but i dont want to argue because i havent tried it with a Cree LED. :shrug:

DSCN7155-1.jpg

SSC P7 on DHS Heatsink ready to be place inside Mag tube
:oops: the cable was too long :ohgeez:
DSCN7159.jpg

The finished product
DSCN7167.jpg

:whistle::):eek:
DSCN7170.jpg

Underexposed
DSCN7171.jpg

Still few hours before dark.

Last edited:

KrisP

Enlightened

rizky... I have to apologise... After seeing your pictures I went and pulled my aspheric light apart and found that my DHS heatsink has had the lip ground off so it's recessed back into the tube several millimeters. I'm going to go back and correct my posts that said the lens didn't work with the DHS heatsink.

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast

rizky... I have to apologise... After seeing your pictures I went and pulled my aspheric light apart and found that my DHS heatsink has had the lip ground off so it's recessed back into the tube several millimeters. I'm going to go back and correct my posts that said the lens didn't work with the DHS heatsink.

No apologise needed KrisP :wave:, loves to hear that soon you'll have a nice Aspherical Lens working. Keep me posted please :) I would like to see the lens with Cree LED mounted on DHS Heatsink. A thin piece of paper might work in holding the Heatsink in the right place since the lip is not there to hold the heatsink.

Cheers
Rizki P

Last edited:

KRS1

Newly Enlightened
Rizky_P

is that the driver your got from KD too? 2.8A?

also did you have to bore the reflector to fit the P7?

got my P7 today waiting for other parts :mecry:

please post outdoor shot with p7 aspherical lense

Drewfus2101

Enlightened

Good to hear that your case is unique. I'm still waiting on my aspheric to arrive but the results look great if you can get the focal length right. I'll post my impressions when using this with the DHS when this lens arrives.