New E2L worth the $$$?

fivesevenfn

Newly Enlightened
First Post.

I had set in mind to buy a SureFire E2L soon. I'm looking for something to light up cows at night when checking them. The question is is 60 lumens enough for this? I have a 3D mag lite wih the LED conversion in it from Lowe's, so if you could compare the brightness to that that would be great.

I saw a pic of a Fenix T1 just a few minutes ago. That mo is bright. I like it, but it's china made, so a big turn oft, though not completely. Do yall think that SureFire will step up their technology sometime soon and offer an upgrade for current lights that can rival that kind of performance? I'm willing to wait just so I can buy American, plus I hear the SureFires are tough like cold-rolled-steel blanks.

Thanks Guys, and great forum.

Brian

greenstuffs

Banned
First Post.

I had set in mind to buy a SureFire E2L soon. I'm looking for something to light up cows at night when checking them. The question is is 60 lumens enough for this? I have a 3D mag lite wih the LED conversion in it from Lowe's, so if you could compare the brightness to that that would be great.
Well the E2L and E2DL will have the same beam, besides the different brightness the E2L's first output when you click is low where as in the E2DL is high it all depends on what your usage, for Tactical purposes the E2DL is recommended and for camping, backpacking or daily light the E2L is a better choice.
The beam of surefire optics is different than the maglite 3D, the either light will out throw the maglite conversion however there is less spill so you may need to buy a beam shaper.

I saw a pic of a Fenix T1 just a few minutes ago. That mo is bright. I like it, but it's china made, so a big turn oft, though not completely. Do yall think that SureFire will step up their technology sometime soon and offer an upgrade for current lights that can rival that kind of performance? I'm willing to wait just so I can buy American, plus I hear the SureFires are tough like cold-rolled-steel blanks.

Thanks Guys, and great forum.

Brian

Surefire does not need to step up in their technology because they have the latest and gives what people wants, sure you will find a overseas manufacturer in this case fenix from china having a brighter light but that only means that the LED is getting more current from the driver. Just like having a efficient car and more powerful car but a gas guzzler.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Outdoorsman lights (E1L and E2L) are not SureFire's high output lights, so in this case it looks like they are not worth the money. For higher output, look at the E2DL, the L5, and the Inova T series.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
think that SureFire will step up their technology sometime soon
Read a Surefire using an integrating sphere & you'll get higher-than-advertised lumens out the front ... run the same test with most other lights that have 'higher output' & you begin to understand that there's no truth in advertising:eek:

Take a look at a G2L
I currently have four G2's, all with Malkoff M60LL modules. The G2 is a superb utility light to toss in the glovebox, but comparing it to the E-Series is apples to oranges.

is 60 lumens enough for this?
Maybe, maybe not. Depends on target distance & color & background, your visual acuity, etc.

The E2L is a great little light. Small enough to fit in a pocket, useful low, good high, TIR optics that give long throw with the lumens available. Nothing fancy, but it's built like a tank - because it's built by Surefire.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Read a Surefire using an integrating sphere & you'll get higher-than-advertised lumens out the front ... run the same test with most other lights that have 'higher output' & you begin to understand that there's no truth in advertising:eek:

You hear that a lot.
I'd love to see some actual integrating sphere test reports on that ;)

I don't think the light ouput figures are the main reason anyone buys a smaller Surefire. I think the new E2L is a nice light and I especially like the long, regulated run times.
Ain't cheap though.

Last edited:

Riddick

Newly Enlightened
Absolutely!!

E2L is as tough as any light in existence and at 45lm more than enough light for anyone, put the F04 beam shaper and you pretty much got it all

Now add that 2 level head 3/60lm . . . . . . . . . . What more could you want?

probably it'l cover all your personal lighting needs till the day you say goodbye to this world

Now wanting more stuff, well thats just human nature, Man always wants what he does not have . That is a human problem that each of us must learn to overcome:wave: