On the P7

Cevulirn

Newly Enlightened
Is it wrong of me to want a Fenix TK10 with a P7 LED in it? or to see This and and want to see one with 3 P7's in it?

Anyone know whats out there as far as P7 drop-ins so far?

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it wrong of me to want a Fenix TK10 with a P7 LED in it? or to see This and and want to see one with 3 P7's in it?

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/193993
post #4
Elektrolumens have one.

You will probably have to build your own.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/195358

There is a slight problem with your second idea. The M*g switch can only handle 5 amps and a P7 can pull up to 3.8 amps measured.
Which means
1) you find a 15 amp switch that fits. EDIT 8.4A nominal, 12A max at 3.6V /EDIT
2) run the LEDs in series and use 3 D size Li-ons. EDIT 2.8A nominal, 4A max at 10.8V /EDIT
http://www.illuminationforums.com/IlluminationForums/showthread.php?p=2803#post2803

Last edited:

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes its wrong of you to want something that would draw 3 amps (or close to it) at the LED head to give you the kind of light you want out of that size flashlight/battery form factor. It would be better for them to increase the efficiency of the light output so that something that doesn't draw any more power than you current CREE XRE whatever LED, but gives you 2 to 3 times more light. (Where is the 300 lumens per watt 3watt, 900 lumen LED. Thats the one I want) It defeats the whole purpose of having a small hand held LED flashlight that has good run time and great brightness to suddenly suck down power like a tungsten filament, even though you will get the magical brightness of a super LED, because it will get really hot, and burn through your batteries. I am waiting to hear more stories of batteries going kablouie (venting with flame) trying to drive these high currents with current regulation devices to where no one will be able to trust their trustworthy flashlights any more because they went crazy with power consumption for the ultimate LED brightness and forgot the main purpose of the LED: Very good brightness with a lot less power consumption to keep those small batteries in that small form factor light from melting down like goo or lasting a whopping 8 minutes.

We all want 500 lumens or more out of a 1AA flashlight that will last 6 hours run time but then again we are all driving the makers to provide multi chip LEDs like the P7 to have those 900 lumens right now, but now we are right back up to 9 to 12 watts or real power consumption to do it. I don't want to hold a flashlight running off of 2 CR123 batteries sucking down that much power that fast that the batteries just might vent.

I know some one is going to say that from the batteries at 6V the current isn't 3 amps, its 1.5 to 2 based on real power consumption, that is still too much. Those batteries putting out 9 watts of power are going to roast. The 3.7v 18650 drawing 2.8 amps may do it for a while but that is going to degrade the batteries overall life and will it die an ugly death???, or just not take a charge after a lot less cycles?

Are these things really worth it? And if they put the P7 in the flashlight but limit the current draw to something more reasonable and then you don't get the lumens out of it that you know it can make isn't it so disappointing that you know everyone will modify it with a hotter driver, right back to square one

I want my flashlights to be super reliable as well as bright with good run times.

I can see putting these things in big D cell maglights with big batteries that can handle 12 watts of power easily, not a small 2 CR123 form factor type light.

The ones that run off of 3 18650s in parallel or series seem like a better way to go, but again they aren't the pocket size light any more are they.

That's my official not so humble opinion.