2D Mag P7,8aa,Tri-Flupic

TexLite

Enlightened
2D Mag P7, 8AA, Tri-Flupic

Wanted to share some pics of my new favorite workhorse. Its a 2D Mag with an SSC P7, Tri-Flupic, and Fivemega 8AA/2D 4S2P adapter. The Tri-flupic is wired with the outputs in parallel driving the P7 at up to 3.6A. This really is a great form factor, not too big, but still has a good amount of runtime on tap.

I have the Tri-Flupic set for 78mA low, 1421mA medium, and burst is 3576mA. Its mounted chip side down on an H22A heatsink with the lip removed. The P7 emitter is also mounted on a modified H22A heatsink. The heatsinks are installed with a coating of thermal compound, as well as on the threads between the head and body. I have about three hours runtime so far and the heat seems manageable.

This is my most versatile combination, going from a Faucet Drip to a Fire Hose at the press of a button. If you get up at night to do something, check on that bump or let the dog out, you won't blind yourself on low, but you have enough light on had for most any situation that may arise.

What everyone has been saying about this emitter is right, it will put a smile on your face. I'll try and get some beamshots this weekend and check back in.

3631235579_1e9bd45a3b_o.jpg

3632054954_fd1ecc2f2f_o.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Michael

Last edited:

stansbrew

Newly Enlightened
Nice!
COuld you give me a little more info on the driver, Price, where to get on and so forth.
Great job..... I see one of theese in my near future!:twothumbs

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can someone explain why he's using a Tri-FLuPIC to drive a single LED? Wouldn't the standard FLuPIC suffice?

TexLite

Enlightened
Sweet!

That is a great mod Michael.

Thanks Scott,looking forward to a custom TB P7.:thumbsup:

Can someone explain why he's using a Tri-FLuPIC to drive a single LED? Wouldn't the standard FLuPIC suffice?

A standard Flupic's maximum output is 1200ma.The Seoul P7 C-bin is 700-800 lumens at 2800ma.The emitter would still be bright,~400 lumens,with a single driver capable of 1400ma,but nowhere near its potential.With the Tri-Flupic outputs wired in parallel,the output can be as high as 3600ma.

Michael

Last edited:

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Great mod. I knew I should of used the TriFlupic to do a Mag mod. Didn't think it would output enough power but it looks like with the right battery setup it will. Would have saved me a lot of money too. :thumbsup:

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I know it's from fivemega. But are those items sold somewhere, or are they custom built on request? I haven't seen them anywhere, I'm often looking at fivemgas stuff.
Stefan
I haven't seen 2S/2P listed anywhere in the 8AA -> 2D configuration either. I know he offered a 2S/2P config for 4 14670 -> 1.25D.

I guess PM or e-mail him? :whistle:

TexLite

Enlightened
Yes, I know it's from fivemega. But are those items sold somewhere, or are they custom built on request? I haven't seen them anywhere, I'm often looking at fivemgas stuff.
Stefan

Hi Stefan,send fivemega a PM about what you want,he"ll get you fixed up.
The adapter is a 4s2p 8aa to 2D.One thing to note is this will only fit a bored or honed out Mag.

Michael

Last edited:

Supernam

Enlightened
I saw the thread on the Tri-Flupic, but I wasn't sure about something. Can the "Burst/Max" setting be programmable like levels 1 and 2, or does it just dump out 3+ amps? I wanted something like .7, 1.4, and 2.8A. Also, says to limit the use of burst mode, but is this a safety issue it was made for 3W LEDs, or is this because the BOARD can't handle the heat?

Last edited:

Ganp

Enlightened
That's a sweet looking set up Michael. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the link from the other thread. :)

I have my Tri-Flupic and P7 already but no time to build them up yet - I've got to get this going soon.

Colin.

TexLite

Enlightened
I saw the thread on the Tri-Flupic, but I wasn't sure about something. Can the "Burst/Max" setting be programmable like levels 1 and 2, or does it just dump out 3+ amps? I wanted something like .7, 1.4, and 2.8A. Also, says to limit the use of burst mode, but is this a safety issue it was made for 3W LEDs, or is this because the BOARD can't handle the heat?

Hi Supernam,the burst setting is non programmable.It is 1200ma per channel,if the cell/s can output that much.The output goes from 2200ma to nearly 3600ma.I asked Eric about a possible Seoul version of the Tri-Flupic,(the Seoul Flupic is limited to 1000ma on burst)the burst would be 3000ma.We'll have to wait and see.
As far as I know,the limited use warning was out of concern for the LED,that was my take anyway.The Eneloops hold 1.3v or better under the load,so the input is at least 5.2v,a full volt higher than it was designed to run,I havent had any problems with overheating,but I'm sure the efficiency suffers.I did get some flicker(overheat warning) on the first heatsink I had it mounted to on high(basically free-air,not a good thermal path).After I soldered all the connections out the back,and mounted the driver chip-side down,with a lot of AA to a modified H22A sink its been rock solid.

2448229672_639b2fe1b4.jpg

2448228516_65fc08b440.jpg

Michael

TexLite

Enlightened