Fenix E01 - Tighten up head?

The Shadow

Newly Enlightened
Regarding everyone's favorite light of the moment, the E01, does anyone think the head is a little too loose? It appears well-made and is very smooth, but I'm concerned about the head unscrewing off during keychain use.

One of the great features of my old Mag Soli, besides the blinding brightness, was the fact that the head TIGHTENED to turn off. I could snug it up tight and it'll stay off and stay put.

Any way to tighten the E01? I'm thinking maybe a slightly fatter O-ring would give some resistance???

chaosmagnet

Newly Enlightened
I put Nyogel 760G on mine before a battery went in it, and it doesn't feel to me like the head could come off by accident.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Nope, it's not going to unsrew itself. I love the feel and smoothness of the twisting action. It's just right for me. It sure beats the muscling of what I'm used to, cranking the bezel down with force, like I have to do on my Arcs. If you're that concerned, try a larger O-Ring or put a bit of teflon tape on the treads, keeping the flat brim section clear from the tape.

sabre7

Enlightened
Nope, it's not going to unsrew itself. I love the feel and smoothness of the twisting action. It's just right for me. It sure beats the muscling of what I'm used to, cranking the bezel down with force, like I have to do on my Arcs. If you're that concerned, try a larger O-Ring or put a bit of teflon tape on the treads, keeping the flat brim section clear from the tape.

It is obvious this guy LOVES this new light, his rah rah comments are in every thread about it. In another tread, he even raves about how good it feels in his mouth of all things.

In fairness, how about backing off a bit and letting people air some of their negative feedback without an immediate reply negating their comments?

BTW, once upon a time Nascar was about real car racing, not about mass marketing, pretty boys & attracting WWF fans.
Car Of Tomorrow?? :crackup:

Last edited:

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
this_is_nascar - I appreciate your comments and suggestions and I certainly won't hesitate to express excitement about a new light in more than one message thread. I'm anxiously waiting on an E01 that will very likely be hanging on a zipper on the wife's purse so it's good to know about this.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is obvious this guy LOVES this new light, his rah rah comments are in every thread about it. In another tread, he even raves about how good it feels in his mouth of all things.

In fairness, how about backing off a bit and letting people air some of their negative feedback without an immediate reply negating their comments?

BTW, once upon a time Nascar was about real car racing, not about mass marketing, pretty boys & attracting WWF fans.

Alternately, how about you stop trolling? Crazy, I know....

If you hadn't noticed, he also goes on to mention a fix to make it harder to turn which hadn't already been mentioned. Chances are you made up your mind about him long ago, so selectively didn't read it. If you're going to point out behaviour you think is inappropriate, make sure it really does bring nothing of value to the thread. (i.e, I've re-read you post a couple of times just in case I managed to miss a single word of helpful advice. I didn't miss anything.)

DM51

Flashaholic
sabre7, you should ask yourself whether that rude post of yours was really such a good idea. Take 4 days off and think about it.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

Yep, I love the light so far. So what? I was responding to the question/concern the OP had about the head being too loose. I don't believe it is to loose and not only did I say that, I was constructive in suggestion a way to address his concerns.

The Shadow

Newly Enlightened
I'm anxiously waiting on an E01 that will very likely be hanging on a zipper on the wife's purse so it's good to know about this.

And that's why I asked about tightening the head! I think a lot of us ordered a 2nd light for a similar reason, and once that light hits the keychain and enters the purse anything can happen. I don't want to find an empty shell of the E01 on her keychain...

Thanks to everyone who gave constructive advice. I'm going to try and find an assortment pack of O-rings somewhere so I can try out different sizes. Maybe tomorrow after the race at Talladega! :twothumbs

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tightness on mine seems just right. I am not worried about my E01 lossing it's head. :) I have more on the way, so when I eventually get them all I'll see if there is any variation in the tightness of the threads.

mighty82

Enlightened
How many rounds do you have to turn the E01's head before it comes off? On my E0 i have to turn it 5 full rounds before it falls off. I don't know how one could accidentally do that, maybe if you keep it in your pocket all the time and doesen't use it for a year or two.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tightness on mine seems just right. I am not worried about my E01 lossing it's head. :) I have more on the way, so when I eventually get them all I'll see if there is any variation in the tightness of the threads.

rarrgghhh! you E01 lover boy, you! Don't post in this thread! rarararar! Ug!

:crackup:

(sorry, take this post with all the seriousness it deserves, I just couldn't resist ;))