Answered: Fenix L2D Holster and Beam Questions

geobio

Newly Enlightened
Question 3:
I've been looking at the Fenix L2D Premium Q5 for $62.50 minus $5 with code "CPF8" at fenix-store.com... but also know that there will be new CREE's coming later this year. Seeing as I can wait to get a newer light with newer technology, etc - but then if it's not much of an improvement... do you suggest I wait, or just get one now?
Self answered with this data chart (not my own work):
http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/3889/fluxsi5.jpg

Question 2:
How does the Fenix holsters work?
Thanks! Gilly: "just below the tag on the holster, the webbing splits to form a belt loop - it is about 2.5 to 3 inches wide and will accommodate most belts. It is really quite a nice little holster. The [removable] plastic ring on top is to lash it to a backpack, etc."
Picture from QSX71: http://pic19.picturetrail.com/VOL1043/1488985/19009634/303256974.jpg

Question 1:
Although the beam of the L2D (Q5 specifically) looks quite decent in beamshots, it does not seem to have the smoothness of Inova or Surefire lights. Are there any rings near the center, or change in tint/color?
--Read below for answers. Generally people find it decent and not obstructive in real life use, despite the slight tint in beamshots.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Re: Fenix L series beams smooth/rings??

THe OP reflector will give a smoother beam then the smooth reflector.

The ring should not affect most real world use.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have some older L2D Q5 and new L2T V2.0 Q2. L2T has a new silver core Cree and slightly more aggressive textured reflector and there are no cree rings in the beam. It looks as smooth as L2D Rebel 100. Only throw is little bit shorter. Maybe current L2D Q5s also have smoother beam?

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
in use (not in whitewall hunting) You wont notice the rings at all,
You can mod the beam a bit by twisting the two parts of the head
Inovas Tiros beams (to which most ppl refer when that "good Inova beam" is talked of) are this ugly ringy - useless imho

... its more a kind of personal view, than technical measurable data

... if You happen to be able to use a Sandwich Shoppe aluminium reflector with a Cree, output increases + there are no rings at all :)

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast

The rings are not of any significance in the real world.

I have had the smooth and OP L2D Q5 and there is very little difference between them. The halo still looks the same in the OP version and both beams in general are nearly identical.

It is a fantastic light!

geobio

Newly Enlightened

Thanks everyone! This has closed my concerns, and I think i'll be getting one soon. :)

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was looking to buy the new L2D Q5, and noticed that from some pictures the beam is not all that smooth. Although quite decent, it does not seem to have the smoothness of Inova or Surefire lights... but some pictures show it as quite good.

If you own or have personally seen one, what do you think about the beam? Are there any rings near the center, or change in tint/color?

Curiously, I have one L2D with a smooth reflector, and it don´t have any ring! There are no rings near the hotspot, and the tint is neutral white, just like my other Fenix! No greenish or purpleish tints!

geobio

Newly Enlightened

I just put in a new question in this thread, now about the holster instead of beam... I didn't want to make lots and lots of new threads asking about the same flashlight.

gilly

Enlightened
Re: Fenix Holsters???

Just below the tag on the holster, the webbing splits to form a belt loop - it is about 2.5 to 3 inches wide and will accommodate most belts. It is really quite a nice little holster. The plastic ring on top is to lash it to a backpack, etc. (there's an open portion on bottom of holster to loop another tie through to lash the other side also)

You won't regret getting an L2D - very nice light!:thumbsup:

Last edited:

QXS71

Newly Enlightened
Re: Fenix Holsters && L2D/L1D Beam Tint/Rings ?

Hi Geobio,
As Gilly said there's a belt loop there.. The plastic loop can be easily removed should you not want it.. I wear mine on my belt and did not like having the keyring loop. I had a problem with the elastic stretching slightly on my holster, I laid on the ground to look under my truck and the light slid out of the holster, so I added some velcro and a flap. Here's a pic of the holster now. http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?&p=3&uid=1488985&gid=19009634&&imgid=303256974#top

John

geobio

Newly Enlightened
Re: Fenix Holsters && L2D/L1D Beam Tint/Rings ?

Hi Geobio, As Gilly said there's a belt loop there.. The plastic loop can be easily removed should you not want it...(truncated)

Thanks for the picture, and "personal" reply. And yes, Geobio is my real name (sounds like Joe By Oh). Anyways, I changed it to another question again. now regarding whether or not I should buy the light I've asked so many questions about... or wait for the newer cree's (that will soon be replaced by even newer ones:laughing:)