Q5 light on ebay?

jrdhmmr

Newly Enlightened
Looks like an Aurora WF-800. You can get one from DealExtreme.com.

Do a search for WF-600 here on CPF and you'll find several reviews, some include comparisons to the DBS & a Fenix Q5 light. The Aurora throws right up there with them, or out throws them.

I have the WF-600, its an amazing little light. It is an AWESOME thrower. Really, you'll be impressed.

The only difference between the 600 & 800 is the 800 runs on twice the batteries. You can also run two 18650's in the 800. Note: There are 2 version so of the WF-600, one is multivoltage, the other runs on 18650's ONLY. Your ebay light looks to be the multivoltage version of the WF-800, as it will run on CR123A's also.

DealExtreme is slightly more expensive than the ebay light, but they also have free shipping. Expect at least 2 weeks for arrival time on the light though. KD also carries this light.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Probablt the WF-800 or Aurora WF-800.

Good thrower and price is also decent.

Won't throw as far as the Dereelight though.

camper1970

Newly Enlightened
Hello all, I just recvd. my light the one on ebay...... it has cree printed on the side middle and on the other side has Sacred Fire on the other. From what I can tell it is identical to the WF-800 and the Aurora WF-800 both in design, build and finish..... the battery's it came with are 4 marked with JP 16340 1000ma 3.0v, same size as the Sure fire SF123A 3.0v cells..... I fully charged them to 4.1-4.2v and got the following amp draw readings: with 4 cells in the light 280ma and with 3 cells 390ma? now my lowes cree 2 c cell with duralcell battery's I get 950-1000ma draw..... so my question is is this normal? and will the light get more amps out of using 18650 batterys and more light? or is there a possibility that ther is a different power regulator in this light or a different emitter? if so how would I identify what is in the light?

Over all this being my first real thrower light I am impressed with the quality and out put for the money spent, which was about $42.00USD delivered with 4 battery's and charger. Oh it also has am aluminum reflector that has a smooth mirror like finish.

Please let me know what you think about the readings and if it is normal.

Thank you for your help

Mark

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
That sounds right.

around 16.6v total * 0.290 amp = 4.8 watt

What charger did you use?

4.2v sounds too high for a normal 3.0v rechargeable battery.

camper1970

Newly Enlightened
Hello I used the charger that came with it... the specs are as follows:

model: SE-H001 LIR123A 3.6V
INPUT: 110-240V/50-60Hz
OUTPUT:2x 4.2V -300ma
60ma at 15hrs (standard charge)
300ma at 2.4hrs (quick charge)

That is what is on the back of the charger

Here is some pics of the light and charger...note the battery' in the photo are not the same brand, and the name on the case is "Romisen"
CREEQ5powerT1.jpg
CREEQ5powerT1_02.jpg
YL-112-1.jpg
YL-112-2.jpg

I think the brand name as printed on the front is: SINCE... not as shown in the photos but the same charger....

Thanks
Mark

Last edited:

camper1970

Newly Enlightened
Vary impressive finding today..... I just went to my local Streamlight dealer and demoed there most powerful lights including the Ultra Stinger
model and compared it to the light I just got on ebay the cree WF-800 or equivalent..... and they had nothing to come lose to it in light output or tight beam throw...... That really surprised me as I always have thought they where one of the most powerful lights made.

Question how can one tell if they have a true Q5 emitter and what is the wattage of a Q5? Are there any emitters out there that are higher wattage? and what other flashlights if any put out at least 2x as much light and throw? as now I am interested in finding one the will blow this one away or upgrade it to do so.... if possible?

Thank you for all your input and opinions and help.

Mark

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You can't easily tell if it's a real Q5 or not. You would need accurate equipment to determine if it's a Q5(via testing).

Technically a 1 watt rated LED can be run at 10 watts if you have significant heatsinking.

The Cree XR-E Q5 can run at 1 amp(max recommended), which can be anywhere from 3.4 watt for a really low Vf LED to over 4 watt for a really high Vf LED.

Knowing the drive current would be better.

The Cree XR-E R2 is a bit brighter then the Q5, but IMO not enough to warrant an upgrade(only 1 step higher).

The light now is a pretty good performer. You can try a fitting aspherical lens and that should give you more throw. Something like this. You can also overdrive the LED.

camper1970

Newly Enlightened
Thanks gunner, I like your light!!! where can I get a lens like that I would love to try one?

I also have a D cell Mag light where can I get hi power upgrades for it?

Also do you know of any other lights and brands that have a higher out put and throw?

Thanks for your help
Mark

Gunner12

Flashaholic
It's not my light, it was built and owned by cryhavok.

As for the lens, KD has one, Surplus shed had a few, there are also a few other sites that had them.

As for the maglite, I'd suggest checking this thread first.

The Dereelight DBS would be able to throw a bit further, easily upgradeable, and have better quality.

Neverready

Newly Enlightened
I received my light today from the same seller as you did. I put in the 4 CR123A batteries, pushed the tail cap switch and got awesome light for about 10 seconds. Turned the light off and back on, and now nothing.
The tail switch stuck in the depressed position, and there was a strong
smell of electronic parts overheating. My guess on this light is that it
is built to run on 18650 batteries, not CR123A's. Twelve volts to the Cree
probably done it in. The other give-away is the bottom of the batteries get crushed in if you tighten the tail cap down all the way. The CR123A batteries also have alot of slop in the tube. I was hoping someone else
has had some experience with this light and could provide an answer..