SF, 17670, 18650 & Leef questions?...

mega_lumens

Enlightened
I don't post here much but I try to be on top of new LEDs and new models. I have my eyes set on SF BackUp but I'm waiting to see if there are viable rechargeable solutions, as I read now that there is flickering on RCR123s. Of course I'm waiting for new P7 stuff to hit CPF lol.

1) As I understand if I go the SF route the 17670 can power the P60L in 6PL and G2L, but no SF body will take a 18650 (?), so I would need to invest in a Leef body? My question is how much of a difference is there in terms of total time output and performance between a 17670 and a 18650? Are these totally different type of cells or they are similar in performance? Is anyone using a Leef body with a P60L set up on 18650s?

2) I know the P61L and KL9 are not out yet, but would anyone know if a Leef body with a single 18650 or a double set up would power those heads?

My goal is to come up with standard rechargeables, and for some reason the 18650 is a desired based on what I've been reading here. Once the P61L or the KL9 hits the market, I hope to settle on one of those heads for an ultimate LED light with rechargeable option.

Thanks for the explanations.

bagman

Enlightened
A 17670 will power the P60L but it is not as bright as on 2 x 123A's (you can see the difference on a wall but it does not look huge to the naken eye, no idea of actual numbers sorry)

I dont know but would imagine that a Leaf body running 2 x 18650 or 2 x 18500's would be an excellent host for a P61L (2 x 18650 will be a bit big though for standard carry options)

I have a Leaf 2 x 18500 C-C body that I can run a Malkoff M60 in and it is a superb set up for long run time, although I usually run the M60 in a C2 body with 2 x R123A's as it is much easier to carry.

Hope this helps

rtt

Enlightened
A 17670 will power the P60L but it is not as bright as on 2 x 123A's (you can see the difference on a wall but it does not look huge to the naken eye, no idea of actual numbers sorry)

I dont know but would imagine that a Leaf body running 2 x 18650 or 2 x 18500's would be an excellent host for a P61L (2 x 18650 will be a bit big though for standard carry options)

I have a Leaf 2 x 18500 C-C body that I can run a Malkoff M60 in and it is a superb set up for long run time, although I usually run the M60 in a C2 body with 2 x R123A's as it is much easier to carry.

Hope this helps

Bagman, can you tell us the approx runtime you get with the 2 x R123A's in your C2 with the M60 drop in?

bagman

Enlightened
Bagman, can you tell us the approx runtime you get with the 2 x R123A's in your C2 with the M60 drop in?

Sorry I dont have a clue, my new job is in the city centre with no more night shifts and I actually dont get to use my torchs very much in comparison to before :eek: :mercy:

I just bring the cells home and top up if its been used for more than a few minutes.

I am back to work tomorrow on days and will try and remember to bring the set up home and do a bit of a runtime test with it tomorrow night if I get the chance.

Last edited:

mega_lumens

Enlightened

I usually run the M60 in a C2 body with 2 x R123A's as it is much easier to carry.

Hope this helps

Would you know if a single 18650 would be able to feed a P61L, because the P61L is advertised for 2 cr123 body lights? (I would assume as with P60 the lumen output will drop slightly on a single 18650?)

Also, how comfortable are you with running rechargeable 123s in your C2 body light?
(I like the C2 body and if the 18650 can power the desired heads, I'd think it would be a nice investment to bore the C2 to accept 18650.)

bagman

Enlightened
Would you know if a single 18650 would be able to feed a P61L, because the P61L is advertised for 2 cr123 body lights? (I would assume as with P60 the lumen output will drop slightly on a single 18650?)

No clues I'm afraid :D

Also, how comfortable are you with running rechargeable 123s in your C2 body light?
(I like the C2 body and if the 18650 can power the desired heads, I'd think it would be a nice investment to bore the C2 to accept 18650.)

I'm always careful with my Li-ion cells and have never been worried about multi cell applications. I have carried 2 x 17500, 2 x 18500 and 2 x 18650 lights running high output incan bulbs without any problems. Before AW's R123A's came out I used to carry a Z2 with a P90 on 2 x unprotected R123A's :O

I also keep forgetting to bring my light home to test the run time :rolleyes:

mdocod

Flashaholic
The P61L will almost undoubtedly have a higher voltage requirement to stay in regulation, my gut tells me that a P61L won't be much if any brighter than a P60L when driven with an 18650 as the input voltage will just not be high enough. The best way to drive these drop-ins is almost always a pair of Li-Ion cells. This way the voltage level stays above the "in-regulation" requirements of the drop-in module through the entire discharge.

In the OP you ask if the 18650 would be much brighter than a 17670...
in theory, yes, by some practically immeasurable amount while fresh off the charger, but what's going to be most noticeable, is that the 18650 would dim more slowly, either cell is going to spend a lot of the discharge driving the module out of regulation, (slowly dimming through the duration of the discharge)... but since the 17670 has less total capacity, you can expect it to dim more rapidly. So there may be a very noticeable difference in output after an hour.

Some people prefer the slowly dimming setup. In reality, you won't see much difference for quite awhile, and it really extends the runtime way out. As the module runs dimmer and dimmer, it is using less and less power, and getting more and more efficient. So the trail of usable light on a 18650 might be many hours before the cell is technically dead.

bagman

Enlightened
I finally remembered to bring home my C2 from to test the run time.

Fully charged the AW RCR123A's on my UF WF138, both came off at 4.18v

Into the C2 running a Malkoff M60 Q5 version

It ran for 50 minutes in what to my eyes looked like full regulation until it just died.

One measured 2.99v and the other 3.30v (hopefully I've not completely beggered them, I'm a bit worried about the 2.99v one?)

Just back on the charger now so I'll check them over when the light goes green :D

The C2 was in my heand for most of the test to take some heat away but it only got warm, nothing like the heat my L4 generates.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
I finally remembered to bring home my C2 from to test the run time.

Fully charged the AW RCR123A's on my UF WF138, both came off at 4.18v

Into the C2 running a Malkoff M60 Q5 version

It ran for 50 minutes in what to my eyes looked like full regulation until it just died.

One measured 2.99v and the other 3.30v (hopefully I've not completely beggered them, I'm a bit worried about the 2.99v one?)

Just back on the charger now so I'll check them over when the light goes green :D

The C2 was in my heand for most of the test to take some heat away but it only got warm, nothing like the heat my L4 generates.

Thanks for testing:twothumbs

Both cells should be fine btw:D

Sverre

bagman

Enlightened
Both cells should be fine btw:D

Sverre

Splendid :D

They are still charging away, I pulled them off to check about 15 minutes ago and they measured 3.85v.

I have another M60 now and am going to compare it running on a 18650 to the 2 x RCR123A's (at work though so it will have to wait again :rolleyes: :D)