When it "rains" it "pours"? (Snow)

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Well the city had the snowplow fleet put to bed for the season...

Last week it was appearing the snow was "almost" melted and then we got hit with 12".

Weather warmed a bit, Spring on the way...looking like the snow was "almost" melted "again"... So far we've had 15" at my house with an additional accumulation of 8"-15" expected before this little "dump" is over.

They say this one will be in the "Top 5" ever for the amount received here in a 24 hour period. We lived in Marquette, Michigan for awhile & believe me - WE GOT REAL SNOW VOLUME there! Though this "may not" seem like a lot as far as what we've had on the ground at times...whenever 30" of snow dumps on my place in 24 hours - believe me, it's a BIG DEAL!!

I LOVE IT!!!

From the ole' National Weather Service (emphasis mine & I've got the last paragraph covered)! :D

A HEAVY SNOW WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 AM ADT SATURDAY.

A COLD FRONT HAS STALLED OVER SOUTH CENTRAL ALASKA AND IS
PRODUCING THE NECESSARY CONDITIONS FOR SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL OVER
THE ANCHORAGE AREA. AROUND 10 INCHES OF SNOW HAS FALLEN OVER THE
ANCHORAGE AREA SINCE THIS MORNING
AND SNOWFALL IS EXPECTED TO
PERSIST INTO SATURDAY MORNING. AN ADDITIONAL 8 TO 15 INCHES ARE
EXPECTED WITH THIS STORM BEFORE IT DISSIPATES.

A HEAVY SNOW WARNING MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE
EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW ARE FORECAST
THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS. ONLY TRAVEL IN AN EMERGENCY. IF
YOU MUST...KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT...FOOD...AND WATER IN YOUR
VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY.

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
That was so amazing to hear about that storm. I love how the weather reminds us how we truly have no control over anything. Snow that paints everything in a pristine white (at least for a while) always reminds me of God.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
We had gone through "breakup", the slushy melted snow in the streets & sidewalks...

Then indeed this "sound dampening-visibility limiting- insulating" blanket (still snowing like crazy out there!) - hits. I enjoy going out on to my front porch & just "listening to the quiet". Indeed very peaceful (though my driving around town yesterday was anything but peaceful - quite stressful actually!).

It's 4am here & I'm headed to bed soon, as soon as I sign off here & go out onto my porch one last time for this "night" before :sleepy: ). NOT driving anywhere today!!!!!

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sigman, I was browsing around the other day and came across this forum. I love to read the posts from Alaskans and the places they choose to live, especially in places like Barrow where there are only 100 days that the temperature gets above freezing. About 4500 people choose to live in that town.

I've experienced late April snow storms growing up in Vermont but the snow doesn't stick around.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Thanks for the link Larry, I'll try & get a couple pics posted later today. We live a bit closer to the mountains & typically get more than is reported out at the airport.

I was trying to clear more snow than was possible (heavy wet stuff), & fried a belt on my 30" wide 10hp snowblower. I NEED that snowblower, my back NEEDS that snowblower...gotta find a belt, HAVE TO FIND A BELT!! Hopefully winter has had it's final dump for the season around here!!

geepondy - thanks for that site! Did you get a chance to check out this thread of pics on the same site? That's the Alaska I know!!

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well you're supposed to have what I assume to be normal Anchorage temps of the upper 40s for the next several days so I would assume in about a week's time it will be melted.