who can mod SL Microstream?

cv3po

Banned
I've been using my Microstream for awhile now and it's become one of my most used lights. The unit that I have has what I consider to be perfect tint, beam pattern and general purpose output. I was wondering, however, if there was somebody out there who is able to make the MS a dual-level light. While the current output level is ideal for a huge range of uses it would be nice to have a lower level for battery life and for dark-adapted eyes. Something like 4-5 lumens would be beautiful. For that matter, seeing as how it uses a Seoul emitter you might be able to get a 30-40 lumen "high" mode instead of a low. I don't know the specs of the emitter nor do I know much about electronics in general so that is purely conjecture but that would be pretty sweet considering that great beam! Anyhoo, if anyone thinks that might be possible I'd love to hear from ya'........................

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could try putting a red or blue colored Chapstick lid on the head to reduce output.
That's what I use on my LODCE and it fits perfectly.

cv3po

Banned
Just get one of these: LODCE Q4
https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_69_49&products_id=191
I think the head will fit your MS if you want to keep the forward clickie of the MS.
The Fenix E01 has a long runtime but I think it is a little brighter than 5 lumens as well as the LODCE.

Good call. I actually have an LOD-Q4 already..............in fact that was the reason that I bought the MS to use as a body host. The problem was that once I rec'd the MS I liked it so much that I decided to keep it stock! I love the LOD as well but the beam is a little too floody for my tastes where the MS beam has a nice tight spot and still has alot of spill light. That's why I'l like to keep the MS's emitter/reflector combo as-is. As far as the EO1, that is kinda what I'm going for is to have something like that and the MS in one package with a forward tail clickie.............that would be a great package :rock:

cv3po

Banned
You could try putting a red or blue colored Chapstick lid on the head to reduce output.
That's what I use on my LODCE and it fits perfectly.

That's a good idea and I'll probably end up doing something like that but I was hoping that there was a dual level driver board that would fit the MS. I am going for reduced output but if I can get longer batt. life as well as not having a filter to lose that would be a huge bonus. :D

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read that thread a while ago ... I still need to buy a SL Microstream and a new L0d just for it. :naughty:

cv3po

Banned
I read that thread a while ago ... I still need to buy a SL Microstream and a new L0d just for it. :naughty:

It is a beautiful pairing. If the LOD had a tighter beam pattern it'd be perfect for me. That's why a dual output MS is making me drool............mine has such a perfect beam. For anybody who doesn't own one go out and get one RIGHT NOW. The new Fenix EO1 is the same price and a nice partner to the MS. The EO1 has around 8 lumens (by most estimates) for 8.5 hours and the MS is around 20 lumens for 2.5 hours with a forward tail clickie. For $15 apiece just take your pick!