P7 Beam. Hows yours?

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
HI guys I have been fiddling around with a P7 emitter mounted in a Mag host. I am using a 3 "D" cell unit running 3 "D" nimh cells. I figure there is enough current to get close to maximum output from the P7.
Here is the problem. When using the stock reflector (no cam) the beam has a bit of a clover leaf as opposed to a donut hole. I am thinking a larger reflector is in order.
Maybe a five mega cam-less number would do.
I have a couple of aluminum reflectors which are going in next, I am thinking the added aluminum may help with the heat which is generated by this sucker which is PLENTY, on the other hand I doubt there is good heat transfer at the connection between the reflector and the heat sink....
Anyway how have you guys dealt with the beam quality of the P7 emitter?
I am looking to the P7 to be a replacement for the LUX V emitter.
I have a number of LUX V lights which have great beams. I am hoping to turn this mag into a light with a really good beam.

BTW there is NO Doubt that the P7 is one hell of a bright number I mean like WOW!! When pushed with the 3 "D" NiMh cells there is a heck of a lot of current running to the emitter. I am guessing there is 3 plus amps...the light is running at close to 9 watts.
I really like the idea of tossing a regulator in there (I am now in search for a good regulator).
The P7 is a powerful emitter. IMHO it is NOT suitable for use with small single cell lights. But give the emitter some current and WOW!
I will whip out the power (I use an astroflight) meter and measure it for certain. I will also whip out the meterman 631 and measure the LUX at one meter and see what it is doing.
I sort of want to wait until I get a decent beam out of the thing before measurements are taken..If that makes any sense.
Ideas and comments are welcome here. I really want to hear how you are dealing with the BEAM cloverleaf and what you think about reflector size in relation to how well the P7 works.
Yaesumofo

Greg G

Enlightened
I would like to see a beamshot of what you have. I have a M@g 3D P7 build planned. I have all the parts including a FiveMega LOP reflector, just need to sit down and build it.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
I would like to see a beamshot of what you have. I have a M@g 3D P7 build planned. I have all the parts including a FiveMega LOP reflector, just need to sit down and build it.

You're probably gonna need at least a MOP reflector to get rid of the donut hole. I've tried LOP & the donut is still noticeable.

TexLite

Enlightened
yaesumofo,mine is pretty good with a MOP reflector.Even with the factory smooth reflector I can get a decent useable beam if I screw the head in to the place where I get the donut hole,then adjust it out just a little.Theres pretty good throw with the smooth adjusted like that.There are some very faint artifacts or shadows,but there barely even visible,its still better than some factory lights I've owned.

I only get that strange cloverleaf if I unscrew the head out way past where the donut hole.this may be a dumb question,but are you sure the reflector is travelling down past the emitter far enough?I get the donut hole with the opening of the reflector just about at the emitter/sink junction.I can try to get some beamshotes if it would make it more clear.

I'm going to try some different textures with some automotive clearcoat and refinish equipment.I think something between LS and MOP will work well.

You could do like Streamlight,just call it a Firemans beam.Is that really what there talking about?http://www.streamlight.com/education/glossary.aspx#6

Michael

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Lux V in a L6 has a pretty nice beam. Perhaps a FM deep 2" reflector would accomplish the same thing for the P7.

-LT

Greg G

Enlightened
You're probably gonna need at least a MOP reflector to get rid of the donut hole. I've tried LOP & the donut is still noticeable.

I posted wrong. I do have an MOP reflector. I went back and looked at the ad where I bought it.:twothumbs

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
I agree with Texlite, you should only be getting the clover leaf if the reflector is backed way off the emitter out of focus.

husky20

Banned
I also just got my mag p7 and noticed the beam indoors on a wall is not that appealing with alot of artifacts and lines shadows.if anyone can tell me were to buy a better reflector for this i will be stoked dont know if ive got the skill to mycgiver it like supernam:bow: but outside this thing is a prowlers worst nightmare!:eeksign::eek:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
My MTE P7 5 mode has a haevy textured reflector.
L1T v2 RB80 left, MTE P7 right:
L1Tv2highP7high.jpg

Last edited:

gojira54

Newly Enlightened
p7cam7.jpg

With DX Al MOP reflector

p7bzy1.jpg

With 'sputtered' stock reflector

P7 mod running DD with NiMh on both :0)

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found an old Otok aluminum reflector which is sputtered.
The beam is very acceptable now it is almost perfect.
So What I am seeing is a HUGE hotspot!!! It is like the LUX V on steroids.
I redmember when I first saw a LUX V compared to a LUX III the LUX V was a thick big beam. Now with the P7 the beam with all things being equal is MUCH thicker and of course Brighter! The P7 has real promise IMHO. I would like to see them slim down the whole package a bit.

I want to find a Five Mega reflector which is cameless. IMHO this is the best way to go for a thrower.
I love the Mag host in that I now have lights based on the Mag host with LUX I LUX III LUX V cree and seoul emitters and NOw the P7.
Each generation adds it's own character.
There is no doubt the P7 is By far the brightest and thickest beam of all.
I love what you guys are doing with the P7. We are certainly more imaginative than so many of the commerical flashlight manufactures out there.
How long will it be before sombody makes a P7 drop in for the Mag?
Yaesumofo

husky20

Banned
Thats were i got mine from wayne im happy with it i just want to get a better beam out of it.I know someone will find or make a better reflector for it and when they do i will buy it.:thumbsup:

TexLite

Enlightened
Some Smooth reflector beamshots,done on low to keep the brightness from masking any artifacts.

Head screwed all the way down(bottomed out to sink)
2447306137_ea75d24c35.jpg

Screwed out about 3/4 of a turn.Most throw(tightest focus) but the infamous donut hole appears.
2447307345_b68bee31b6.jpg

Screwed out just a Little...useable.
2447308473_14d4fc89cf.jpg

Screwed out some more,almost a full turn...
2447309645_d9284c4d31.jpg

Now a textured reflector...
2448133860_babde7088b.jpg

The camera was focused on the spot,about 2 meters from the wall.All the pics are the spot only.The spill is not shown.

Michael

Edit:I found the reason for the horrible tint in these shots,I failed to remove the UV and Polarizing filters.The tint is actually much better.YMMV

Last edited:

IcantC

Enlightened
With a SMO reflector, I was able to get rid of the clover design, but have a small donut.

Using a sputtered reflector, the beam is perfect. What if just the area near LED was sputtered and the rest left smooth?