Wet blanket on the E01 party

Don99

Newly Enlightened
I received two E01s today and was immediately was impressed with the quality build of the lights. I like the form factor of a simple, well designed, and good looking light...but the output leaves me wanting more. I know that we are talking about 10 lumens but both lights seem rather dim with an overly bluish tint and very little spill. I compared the E01 output against a promotional 5mm keychain light and the E01 is the least desirable of the two. I really want to like the E01 but these will be gifts to a friend and family member.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
the idea of the E01 is for its runtime. Try comaparing the output of the 5mm keychain light to the E01 after a few hours... ;)

Crenshaw

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received two E01s today and was immediately was impressed with the quality build of the lights. I like the form factor of a simple, well designed, and good looking light...but the output leaves me wanting more. I know that we are talking about 10 lumens but both lights seem rather dim with an overly bluish tint and very little spill.
It has always bothered me that 5mm LEDs have overly blue tints, I see no inherent reason why a 5mm LED can't be made in a nice neutral white tint, akin to what is available in high-power LEDs such as XR-Es.

Also, I find that high power lights in reflectors, run at reduced outputs, have more useful beam patterns, including flood, compared to the 5mm LEDs at the same lumen output.

Last edited:

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Low lumens is not a sin, lol. More often than not we need far less lumens than we tend to get excited about and feel we "need". Long runtime with low lumens is extremely attractive to some, like myself, for EDC and emergency carry. I would rather have a light that lasts a very long time that gives off just enough light, rather than a very bright one that you have to rely upon spare batteries in an extended time of need. I can always carry a different, brighter light for other purposes :).

warlord

Enlightened
I don't think anyone needs to convince you that the E01 is a nice light. If you don't like it, you don't like it. You already know the pluses and there are certainly enough threads about it that we don't need another.

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
For 15 dollars people are having really high expectations, I received one yesterday and its a phenomenal value.

During tail stand, in a pitch dark room there is more then enough light to navigate. The tint is only noticeable when you shine a white wall and people who were complaining about the spill are crazy, this has plenty of spill. The threads are so smooth and I have not found ANYTHING negative on this light. 8 hours regulated runtime on 1 Alkaline, thats fantastic. If you want brighter, whiter perfect beam lights, they are available, but not for 15 dollars. This is the best value going right now, The only question is how well they hold up over time. I will be ordering more.

Just use your light at night, and I hope you end up enjoying it and seeing its usefulness over your initial impression.

-bobby

mighty82

Enlightened
From most of the pictures comparing the E01 and E0, the E01's tint seem much less blue, more yellow with a brighter hotspot. My dx fauxtons has even more blueish tint than the E0.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Compare the Fenix to the keychain light after 30 minutes of constant on time. I've seen so many of these posts; "my keychain light is brighter"...

:rolleyes:

The keychain light is massively overdriving the led in the 60+ milliamp range. The Fenix is probably around spec of 20ma. But, the crappy little 2016 coin cells cannot maintain that current for long; they will voltage sag hard in much less than an hour and continue to sag after that.

But, they have their place. If you are truly going to use the light solely to illuminate keyholes, then I'd agree to go with the fauxton (individual ontime bursts would be measured in second, preserving that brightness for a longer time). If you want a general use light to count on, it's not even close.

Led75

Newly Enlightened
Id prefer an E01 in my pocket during a blackout than an L0D!...The E01 is plenty bright !In fact The other night the hall lights were out in my apartment when we got home.And my E01 lit lit up the whole hall which is about 30-35 feet . Once i got my family in I took the old E0 out to do some comparing in the dark hall And the E01 appears to be alot brighter I wish i had some pics to show you guys:(.. So for the price i dont think the E01 can beat!!:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Mangurrian

Banned
For 15 dollars people are having really high expectations, I received one yesterday and its a phenomenal value.
Yup for $15 is what it is, next thing people going to ask is support for lion, then the ability to use it as microwave to heat up tv dinners, washing dishes...

osalsa

Newly Enlightened
I don't have an EO1 yet, but I have been using my EO for a couple of years now, unobtrusively hanging from a thin lanyard around my neck. I use it all the time, and really would have a hard time doing without it. Even at 10 lumens, it is plenty bright enough to light almost any mechanical work I am doing during the day, as well as to provide more than enought light to serve night duty. It even is too bright in many nighttime applications. A little duct tape around the barrel and I can hold it in my teeth ( which I do all the time) and have hands free. Now some of my aircraft mechanic buddies are expressing interest after using it, when before they thought it a toy. 100% reliable, long lasting, I don't know its there until I need it- Perfect!

Don99

Newly Enlightened
It is definitely the blue/purple tint and the artifacts in the spot that disappointed me off. I compare the E01 against another $15 single mode light - the KD buckle light - and KD has far more spill, a warmer color and an artifact-free spot. The E01's 10 hour run time is an interesting specification but in a practical sense having to swap batteries every couple of weeks instead of once a month don't balance against the output of these two lights. I guess I'm looking for the E02, the very same design, form factor and quality build but with a higher-end LED.

Mangurrian

Banned
It is definitely the blue/purple tint and the artifacts in the spot that disappointed me off. I compare the E01 against another $15 single mode light - the KD buckle light - and KD has far more spill, a warmer color and an artifact-free spot. The E01\'s 10 hour run time is an interesting specification but in a practical sense having to swap batteries every couple of weeks instead of once a month don\'t balance against the output of these two lights. I guess I\'m looking for the E02, the very same design, form factor and quality build but with a higher-end LED.

You are spliting hairs my friend, 10 hr runtime is a must for any serious flashaholic looking to venture into the wild rain forest. Ain\'t no batteries in the Amazon

mighty82

Enlightened
The E01 can't be compared to the kd buckle light, nor the fauxton's. The E01 has about 10 times the runtime of any of those. With FLAT output. A fauxton has the same or better output the first 5 minutes, then it drops dramatically. It takes only a few minutes before the output is below 50%. So it's not a matter of changing batteries once a month vs a couple of weeks. The difference is MUCH bigger than that.

If your light has artifacts, you must have gotten one with a bad gs led. Maybe you could ask for a replacement if it's really bad?

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I guess it really all comes down to what's important to you really. Up until the release of the E01, I choose to EDC the Arc-AAA DS light. I did this for a reason. It had nothing to do with being in the "Arc Cult" or anything along those lines. The reason was that, even if I had no other lights source with me, I was guaranteed to have my trusty Arc on my possession. My reasons were not to impress anyone or to be able to light up a city block or anything else like that. It was to be sure that, in a very worse case scenario, I would be in immediate possession of a light that I could count for that had good run-time. It was to have a light on me that took a common cell, that had a really good chance of being available by others, in an emergency situation. My reasoning for all of this really solidified during the 911 disaster. Does anyone realize how my people didn't make it for the simple reason they could not see the way out? Although I've always been obsessive about having some sort of light source with me at all times, 911 increased that possession.

So, here comes the E01. A light that not only runs longer on that same little, easy to find alkaline cell, but it runs at a much better level of regulation. Even more importantly to me is that the E01 will fire (start and produce light), from a cell that would be considered long drained by any other application. Go find yourself an alkaline battery, drain it down to .4 volts and tell me of anything that it will successfully power. Let me know how you make out. Only time will tell the reliability of the E01, but I'm banking on it to hold up to whatever the circumstances will throw at it. It has to, since my life and lives of others may depend on it.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is definitely the blue/purple tint and the artifacts in the spot that disappointed me off. I compare the E01 against another $15 single mode light - the KD buckle light - and KD has far more spill, a warmer color and an artifact-free spot. The E01's 10 hour run time is an interesting specification but in a practical sense having to swap batteries every couple of weeks instead of once a month don't balance against the output of these two lights. I guess I'm looking for the E02, the very same design, form factor and quality build but with a higher-end LED.

The E01 has easily got 10 times more run time than the KD buckle light, so I don't know how you've gone from couple of weeks to every month. That implies twice the runtime ;)

Couple of weeks compared to every half year? That's a fairer comparison.

Snow

Enlightened
It has always bothered me that 5mm LEDs have overly blue tints, I see no inherent reason why a 5mm LED can't be made in a nice neutral white tint, akin to what is available in high-power LEDs such as XR-Es.

Also, I find that high power lights in reflectors, run at reduced outputs, have more useful beam patterns, including flood, compared to the 5mm LEDs.

The 'snow white' LEDs used in Peak lights have a very nice white tint without blue.