TK10 vs. P60 drop-ins?

dandruff

Enlightened
Hi everyone,

The time has come for me to get another light. I am looking for a sturdy production-bodied, 2x cr123-sized, BRIGHT light with a good mix of throw/flood (tight hotspot with bright even side spill).

I have been away from CPF for awhile and it seems the hottest light around at the moment is the Fenix TK10. I must admit I LOVE the form-factor of the TK10. It has to be one of the nicest looking lights around and I must admit to be very tempted by it. All the reviews I've read so far have been very favourable as well, and judging from the beam shots, it has really nice beam profile.

Another contender I am considering is a Surefire 6P with a led drop-in. I like this idea because you get a future-proof, Surefire-quality body. The ability to upgrade to new modules in the future is a BIG plus in my opinion. However from the threads I've seen, the TK10 seems to outperform the P60 drop-ins, but I couldn't find that many comparisons.

So...

1) Which P60 drop-ins do you recommend? (multilevel preferred, so that rules out the Malkoff)

2) Or am I just better off with the TK10? So much light for not that much $$$

3) I know from some reviews that a number of TK10s' light engines can be separated from the head, what are the prospects of production TK10 upgrades in the future?

I would really like to hear from everyone who owns both a TK10 and 6P/G2/C2 etc...

Thanks!

USM0083

Enlightened
I own a TK10/6P/6Z/G2/G3.

In short, the TK10 is an excellent light for the price. Fit and finish is very good, the clicky sounds a bit fragile, but we'll see.

I have a DX R2 Cree in a G2Z with my old 6Z bezel for some heatsinking. The TK10 is a bit brighter, but with a very nice and fairly wide hotspot, and no artifacts. The R2 cree dropin is almost as bright, but with a tighter and well defined hotspot, and a little less spill. There is a darker ring around the hotspot, but only noticeable on a white wall.

Among my SFs, I have P60Ls, P4 Cree dropin, and a HO-9.

The TK10 is very nice, but does not replace any of my SFs.

A 6P is an excellent choice for upgradability. Dereelight has some nice and reasonable multi-level dropins. http://www.dereelight.com/module-list.htm

Pacific Tactical has more expensive and higher end dropins.
http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/productList.aspx?uid=1-25-114-125

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator
A light that uses a D26 (P60) style drop in is going to be far easier to upgrade as better LEDs become available. I bought a Dereelight for exactly that reason, the Dereelight makes proper contact with the drop in for heat sinking. Lots of module to choose from, I think the TK10 is going to be very limiting, at least with the Dereelight you can play with different modules with diffent LEDs and modes.
Norm

yalskey

Enlightened
I just had a thread about this very subject going a few days ago. I would post a link to it foe you but I am currently on my iPhone so I can't cut and paste. Just search for it in the led forums. It should only be a couple pages back. It starts with tv words Quick Comparison.

My advice, having just gone through this exact situation, go with the TK10! It costs as much as the wolf eyes dropins I bought. So the whole saving money by going with dropins is pretty much out the window. For the cost of the dropin, you could just get another whole fenix light.

the TK10 is a very impressive light. Seriously, go for it. Get it from pocketsunshine.com using the discount code for CPF and you can get it for $63 shipped (I think).

dandruff

Enlightened
Thanks for the replies so far!

USM0083- "The TK10 is very nice, but does not replace any of my SFs." does this mean you prefer the SFs to the Fenix?

Norm- I hear you. I know its a bit lame, but the dereelight just doesnt excite me with the way it looks.

yalskey- Thanks for your opinion! i think it was your thread i read about the tk10 outperforming the p60s:)

right now i am leaning towards the fenix. sigh decisions decisions....

Delta

Enlightened
USM0083- "The TK10 is very nice, but does not replace any of my SFs." does this mean you prefer the SFs to the Fenix?..

Where did all these eggshells suddenly come from?

I used to never care for the 6P type lights, but now that we have a Novatac clip that works well with them and a smorgasboard of drop-in choices, I see no reason why not to jump on that train again.

That being said, I love my TK10 with its custom made Ti clip...

pimpclip1.jpg

AOBRICK

Newly Enlightened
If your very torn and have the cash Get both.
However many many people have a 6P, it's the glocks of tacticool lights. The Fenix is sorta exotic and sexy.
As far as reliability you shoulden't have a problem with either.
I have both for on duty use, (my 6P has a super quality malkoff). If Im going to be glove heavy I use the 6P its agressive knurling grips the gloves but is not nice to bare skin so I usually keep the Fenix in the belt pouch......If you can only buy one get the fenix and ditch the clip (my .02).

Last edited:

AOBRICK

Newly Enlightened
Oh yeah the 6P dosent really work well as a stand up candle.

USM0083

Enlightened
Thanks for the replies so far!

USM0083- "The TK10 is very nice, but does not replace any of my SFs." does this mean you prefer the SFs to the Fenix?

I've carried SFs onduty for 17 years, and they've never let me down. The TK10's clicky tailcap and low mode is nice, but is useless for what I use my lights for. It's also bulkier than my G2Z.

That said, my EDC is a L2D CE.

dandruff

Enlightened
Delta- No eggshells, just gathering opinions so i can get to a decision:)

Aobrick- Thanks for your views. get both? hmmm :evilgrin07:

FrankW438

Newly Enlightened
Oh yeah the 6P dosent really work well as a stand up candle.

The TK10 will not tail-stand, either. It's close relative, the T1, WILL tail-stand, and it has a slightly better throw.

If you want to use the tactical grip ring on the TK10, I'd suggest the Z2 or the G2Z, instead. If you don't plan on using the tactical grip ring, I'd suggest you take a closer look at the T1.

I have the T1, TK10 and the SF G2 w/Malkoff M60 drop-in. Each has its own strengths. Right now the T1 rides shotgun in the glovebox of my SUV. The TK10 is on my dutybelt at work. I just got the Malkoff drop-in, so I haven't decided what it's new role will be.

Which flashlight do I use most often? My NDI!

-- Frank

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is cool looking, is that just the standard Novatac clip or did they make that for the Sure-Fire's? Who sells these? Lighthound?

dmz

Enlightened
Many have stated that the malkoff drop ins are the best. How does the TK10 compare to the malkoff drop ins?

Delta

Enlightened
That is cool looking, is that just the standard Novatac clip or did they make that for the Sure-Fire's? Who sells these? Lighthound?

Yes, I believe Lighthound sells them...I think the description even states that they work well with G2's.