What light can take a lot of Shock/Impact <60$?

jake25

Enlightened
I have a non flashaholic friend (probably AA's would be best) who needs a light for close up work, probably working on cars. He drops his light a lot so he wants something inexpensive and that can take an impact from say 3feet more or less

he only has a mini-mag and maybe a 5mm led lamp so any cree would probably shock/awe him

brainstorm?

Last edited:

AOBRICK

Newly Enlightened
Terra lux 5w upgrade for his mini mag i have one and it makes the mini mag acceptable and much brighter

AOBRICK

Newly Enlightened
Fenix L1D is very tough and uses 1 AA lotta light for small cash

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix L1T, and order a reverse clicky module while you're at it. The forward clicky would probably be slightly more damageable due to dropping than the reverse clicky. It should be easier for a non-flashaholic to use.

Any LED light with a decent circuit board will be fine with 3 foot drops.

RustyKnee

Enlightened
I possibly wouldn't recommend the Fenix L2D....I am sure it will survive a knock about....but I have been using it as a bike light on my road bike. Pot holes and 100PSI in the tyres is enough to make it switch between levels. The P3D is going on next to try.

Stu

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I possibly wouldn't recommend the Fenix L2D....I am sure it will survive a knock about....but I have been using it as a bike light on my road bike. Pot holes and 100PSI in the tyres is enough to make it switch between levels. The P3D is going on next to try.

Stu

Sounds like the spring isn't keeping the batteries in contact with the +ve bit on the PCB, breaking the connection so it switches levels. No problems like this with my L2D, which I use on the helmet for MTB.

Last edited:

RustyKnee

Enlightened
Sounds like the spring is keeping the batteries in contact with the +ve bit on the PCB, breaking the connection so it switches levels. No problems like this with my L2D, which I use on the helmet for MTB.

Yeah my thoughts too. I bet your head doesn't see the shocks my bars do :)....unless you stacked it lol.

I might try it with a wrap of paper around the cells too. Just snug enough to hold them selves in when tipped up with the cap unscrewed. No prons getting the battery out as the tube can be opened at both ends.

Stu

HKJ

Flashaholic
Stu

I have also been using the L2D on my bike and have newer had a level shift.
But I would not call level shifting when dropping a flashlight a serious problem.

But maybe a polymer flashlight is better, it does not dent or scratch when hitting something.

jake25

Enlightened
the first thing(s) that came to my mind were the Fenix L1D and the Olight T15, 2007

thats all i can mostly think of

Cydonia

Enlightened
I would just get a MJ 2-AA Module kit from the Sandwich shoppe.
Only $11 and super run time... up to 30 hours on alkalines... only draw 80ma or so... suck batteries down to 0.8v... pretty simple tough drop in too. At about 15 lumens it will be several times brighter than a stock mini mag bulb.
I think it's the best MM drop in out there IMHO.

aussiebob

Enlightened
A fenix l2d q5, mine has taken many falls and still works like new!
Give him a set of rechargables also and he'l be happy.:naughty:

BigD64

Enlightened
Surefire G2 or G2L if you drop it and it breaks you get a new one FREE.

Alero

Enlightened
Surefire G2L would be tops for me, but not if you want to stick to "normal" batteries.

A Nice LED upgrade (lighthound has one on sale for $7 right now) for the old mini-mag would be great. And he's already used to carrying it and how it works.

Tek-Tite 3xAAA would be a decent polymer light that's cheap and nearly impossible to break. The Streamlight pro-poly 2xAA would be another nice small, indestructable polymer one.

96TL

Newly Enlightened
I know its a little over your budget, but my Novatac can take a beating. I've dropped it from hand height (I'm 6') right onto cement 3-4 times already. It always lands on the tail cap, which is only $20 to replace. The rest of my light looks perfect, and it operates 100%.

lumafist

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would just get a MJ 2-AA Module kit from the Sandwich shoppe.
Only $11 and super run time... up to 30 hours on alkalines... only draw 80ma or so... suck batteries down to 0.8v... pretty simple tough drop in too. At about 15 lumens it will be several times brighter than a stock mini mag bulb.
I think it's the best MM drop in out there IMHO.

+1

Both moneywise and brightwise...:)
He will not be needing more then that to actually be able to see (not be blinded) what he is doing....

DaveG

Enlightened
How about a Inova X-5? Not the brightest but one tough light.Buy your friend replacement batteries on line and he will be good to go.