6PL upgrade

CaptainJack

Newly Enlightened
Hello everone,
Found this forum while searching the web for an upgrade
LED lamp for both of my new SF 6PL's.
The PL's are rated at 80lum, and can said to be bright, but
I'm hoping to ramp it up to the 150lum range.
One of these will be mounted to my Mossberg 590 and the
other will be used as a tactical light for use with one of
my pistols.
In some areas of my house and property, the throw is 30ft, so I want the arriving beam to be overpowering.
My intent is to blind an intruder (either literally or figuratively) so the next course of action is mine to take.
I've seen the Ebay listings, but worry about fit and quality. And while searching thru the threads here I've
run across several mentions of the P60, but no Lum rating. The CREE Q5 is another LED talked about alot, but
again, is it high output?
I don't mind paying more to get a quality unit that is backed by a long standing merchant and warranty.
Any comments or thoughts would be welcomed.
Jack

Darkseeker

Newly Enlightened
:welcome: Hi, I have a cree Q5 I purchased from HKequiptment on ebay and its fits nicely in my 6p and its very bright. I believe its rated 240 lumens from the emitter.Anywho its way brighter the p60 that was in it.

Last edited:

GPB

Enlightened
I have a Bug Out Gear drop in that is considerably brighter than the stock LED that was in my G2L ( which is the same as your 6PL ) I don't know how well it would stand up to the recoil of a gun mount, but I would think it would be OK. The othe module that gets very high praise here is the Malkoff unit. One thing you may want to consider is that Surefire has promised to have a high output LED module sometime this year that is rated at 200 lumens. If can wait a few months before you have to blind and shoot someone, you might be able to go that route. It will probably be more expensive than the BOG or the Malkoff, but it might be worth it to some.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Your best bet is the link provided by Marduke, in his post.

BTW, you wouldn't happen to be the same CaptainJack who posts on New Grounds, would you?

CaptainJack

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys,
Did some looking around after your recomendations and
I'm leaning towards the Bug Out Gear drop in for $50
that will ramp up output from 80 to 230 lumens.
I looked at the sticky and although I don't like to spend money I don't have to, I don't want to waste money either.
BOG has a return policy and a warranty; and Malkoff units
were all sold out. I don't want to find out I have a bad unit
at the wrong time since both of my 6PL's are for home protection weapons based applications.
My L4 and G2 are for emergency use for my wife's and my cars so if an upgrade failed, you could always use the
original that will be stored in a SF battery and lamp holder in the glove box.
And no, GPB, it's not blind and shoot; it's blind so you don't have to shoot. I'm mean, who wants to clean blood out of a carpet unless you have to..LOL
Monocrom, I'm not the same CaptainJack at New Grounds. Interesting site though.
Thanks again,
Jack

GPB

Enlightened
Werdnawee: If you are buying the light with the intention of switching out the lamp, you might as well get the incandecent version. The only difference is the lamp and you're taking that out. It will save you about 25 bucks.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Cool, I also had the same query.

I am looking at a SF which uses a P60L. (6P, Z2 etc)

So ALL of the drop-ins from the above link will fit in these light? And it just comes down to price/build/quality etc?

Physically, most all of them would fit. However, check the voltage ranges. Some are meant to work on a single Li-Ion cell, while others are meant for 3+ cells.

BigD64

Enlightened
I can't believe no one has advised you to get a Malkoff M60. You can't beat the beam. I ordered one for my G2 and another for my Mossberg590C forearm. You can't beat the light output. The only hard part is actually getting one. BTW don't compare 80 Surefire lumens to a dropins claim of 230 lumens Surefire measures lumens out the front, most others list emitter lumens. You may also want to wait for Surefires P61L.

Last edited:

Centropolis

Enlightened
I can't believe no one has advised you to get a Malkoff M60. You can't beat the beam. I ordered one for my G2 and another for my Mossberg590C forearm. You can't beat the light output. The only hard part is actually getting one. BTW don't compare 80 Surefire lumens to a dropins claim of 230 lumens Surefire measures lumens out the front, most others list emitter lumens. You may also want to wait for Surefires P61L.

Are you having heat issues with the M60 in a G2?

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
For your intended use, the Malkoff unit is the best, IMHO. This is an application where quality and durability is paramount. Also, the beam quality of the M60 is far superior to the other drop-ins I've tried (and I've tried many!).

I am not disparaging anyone else's product, but the Malkoff is the one I trust with my life. YMMV

CaptainJack

Newly Enlightened
A correction to my other post, Malkoff is not sold out of
the M60. I left a message to ask some questions.
But Malkoff availablity raises another question about their
drop in and the BOG drop in compared to the P60L already
in the 6PL; are these lumen ratings, BOG 230 and Malkoff 235, really three times the output of the P60L?
As was mentioned is this an apples to apples or apples to
oranges comparsion when it comes to aftermarket lumen ratings?
Update: While writing this post, I got a call from Malkoff and had a great 10 minute conversation. Bottom line, I
ordered the M60 and told him I would do a side by side
with my second 6P LED when I got it this week. I have a
lux meter so I'll do the one and ten meter test to see if
there is the difference I'm looking for.
Jack

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
Oh, there will be a very sizable difference between the SF P60L and the M60 module. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. But remember than lumen is a measure of total lamp output, not just the amount of light at a certain point (lux measure by a light meter). So, a 180 lm light does not, necessarily, have a hotspot that is 3 times as bright as a 60 lm light; overall output would be 3 times as much, however. [I'm fairly new to all this, so if I am wrong on this, please correct me.]

BTW, you are correct in that the Malkoffs are usually sold out the same day as he puts them up on his web site. The demand is high and he can only make so many each week. You just luckily caught up to him on a day he released a new batch!

blinder switch

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys,
Did some looking around after your recomendations and
I'm leaning towards the Bug Out Gear drop in for $50
that will ramp up output from 80 to 230 lumens.
I looked at the sticky and although I don't like to spend money I don't have to, I don't want to waste money either.
BOG has a return policy and a warranty; and Malkoff units
were all sold out. I don't want to find out I have a bad unit
at the wrong time since both of my 6PL's are for home protection weapons based applications.
My L4 and G2 are for emergency use for my wife's and my cars so if an upgrade failed, you could always use the
original that will be stored in a SF battery and lamp holder in the glove box.
And no, GPB, it's not blind and shoot; it's blind so you don't have to shoot. I'm mean, who wants to clean blood out of a carpet unless you have to..LOL
Monocrom, I'm not the same CaptainJack at New Grounds. Interesting site though.
Thanks again,
Jack

Hey CaptainJack-

I would NOT stake my life on the BOG Premium Plus Cree's from bugoutgearusa.com. I bought 2 each of those drop-ins, a few months ago and one failed for absolutely no reason that I can figure out. It was on a LaRue Tactical LT-606 offset Light mount on a Bushmaster AR 15 safe queen. They took several weeks to send me another 3 watt Prem Plus (out of stock) and that sucked. So now I have a SureFire P60L in one of my ready AR 15's, with extra P60L'S for my other AR's, and I am experimenting with the other original BOG cree drop in. I can tell you this, for what it's worth, on my first look at 2 mounted SF 9P's (on AR 15's), one AR 15 with the still OK BOG, and the other mounted with a new SF P60L, the power of light, from about 15 yds away inside, their was no visible 170 vs 80 lumens difference. They appeared equal:shakehead. I know that is not really any test, but I thought the BOG would dominate. Hell no, negative domination from BOG.:thinking: SF batteries were both brand new in each AR 15 set up also. (Two Bushmaster carbines/ two LaRue Tactical LT- 606 light mounts/ two SureFire 9P's/ 3 each brand new SF batteries.)

I also have fired several hundred rounds of 5.56x45mm/.223 Rem with the SF P90 and P91 incans without any problems. The same goes for the original BOG 3 watt cree LED.

After the failure of one of the BOG 3 watt Cree's, I just will not feel comfortable with them. No way in hell.

Here are some pics, also my new E1B was in this one, damn I'm starting to love this light.
3ledb.jpg

Last edited:

Centropolis

Enlightened
Yup, 200 actual lumens and designed specifically for use in Surefire lights; by Surefire.

I can't wait for the P61L to come out. I think it'll surprise the Malkoff drop in users. Maybe they'll wish they waited!? :) But maybe not since they've been using them for months now. I hope they sell the P61L for $40 only.