Streamlight 4AA - 7LED OVERDRIVEN

Bob Snow

Newly Enlightened
I purchased one of these puppies a few weeks ago. I like the tail switch and size and was amazed that it was actually brighter with four fresh alkalines with it's 7 LEDs than my 19LED Trek 1900 with three fresh C alkalines. The color of the light was very blue and I was reluctant to use the light because the LEDs seemed to be massively overdriven.

I am a big fan of lithium batteries for unregulated lights. I find I get near full brightness much longer with a steep drop at the end of the battery life. I would not even consider trying four in this light.

I contacted a fellow CPF member who had recently purchased 10 dummy AA cells to ask if he would sell me a few. Instead he just gave them to me! Nice group of folks we have here.

I am now running the Streamlight with 3 AA Lithiums and a dummy cell. What a difference. The light is less blue and now just about as bright as the Trek 1900 The light is also weighs much less and should stay this bright much longer than alkalines. I suppose this light is fine if you only use somewhat depleted alkalines in it.

Sorry, but I just can't afford to do runtime tests with lithiums!

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I metered about 80mA per LED on 4 fresh alkalines - very overdriven - BUT - Streamlight has a lifetime warranty on the light, so if you cook the LEDs (using ALKALINE batteries - no others are recommended or mentioned in the packaging), they'll send you another one.

I run mine on 3 alkalines and 1 dummy - results in about the same output as the Streamlight Septor 3-AAA headlamp on the 7 LED setting. Output reduced from 150 lux to 90 lux by using the dummy cell.

More discussion on the resistance in these lights Here.

DrAg0n

Banned
[ QUOTE ]
Quickbeam said:
I metered about 80mA per LED on 4 fresh alkalines - very overdriven - BUT - Streamlight has a lifetime warranty on the light, so if you cook the LEDs (using ALKALINE batteries - no others are recommended or mentioned in the packaging), they'll send you another one.

I run mine on 3 alkalines and 1 dummy - results in about the same output as the Streamlight Septor 3-AAA headlamp on the 7 LED setting. Output reduced from 150 lux to 90 lux by using the dummy cell.

More discussion on the resistance in these lights Here.

[/ QUOTE ]

From your review, you said:

"The LEDs are protected from too much voltage with resistors"

do u think that is enough to protect the leds?