NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        
Results 1 to 30 of 30

Thread: Which EDC is best for me?

  1. #1
    Flashaholic* 04orgZx6r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North of Indy, Indiana
    Posts
    523

    Default Which EDC is best for me?

    Hey, to start this off I am looking to buy a pocketable EDC, but unfortunately am having a hard time choosing.
    Before i tell you what I am thinking let me tell you about what i am looking for in an EDC.

    1. It needs to be small and reliable, I want to carry it around in my pocket, not a holster. Since I will be using this everyday, It needs to have great quality, I want to know that it shouldn't fall apart after a few months. Also this will be my first "more expensive" flashlight as I have a few cheap ones from DX.
    2. Price range is about 40-80 dollars.
    3. I don't really care whether it has forward or reverse clicky
    4. Batteries, I will be using rechargeables, so agian i don't care what battery it uses, AA 14500 rcr123 are all fine.
    5. I like a real bright light to impress people, also some useful applications, but a solid medium to low are more important.

    Heres, what I'm thinking....
    I really like the looks of the NDI but it costs around 80 dollars, at the top of my price range, and seems to have some reliability issues.

    So.... I think that I want the Jetbeam Jet 1 IBS, which is only 56 dollars and looks great too. This would still be a pretty big purchase for me, I'm in college+too many hobbies=broke, so i want to be sure i get the right one the first time, so I need some input from the pros

    Basically what I am asking is, is there any reason I shouldn't get the Jet, if so what? Also is there anything in my price range that you think would be better?
    Thanks in advance for any Input!
    Last edited by 04orgZx6r; 04-28-2008 at 05:41 PM.

  2. #2
    *Flashaholic* Marduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    10,110

    Default Re: Please, help me make a decision.

    Fenix L1D Q5 or L1T Q2

  3. #3
    Flashaholic RainerWahnsinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    223

    Default Re: Please, help me make a decision.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marduke View Post
    Fenix L1D Q5 or L1T Q2
    +1
    Rainer
    h8 2 w8

  4. #4
    Enlightened
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    23

    Default Re: Please, help me make a decision.

    Fenix L1D Q5

  5. #5

    Default Re: Please, help me make a decision.

    I recommend the Fenix P2D CE, or stretch your budget $20 more, and get a NovaTac.

  6. #6
    Flashaholic* 04orgZx6r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North of Indy, Indiana
    Posts
    523

    Default Re: Please, help me make a decision.

    Thanks for the suggestions. How is the L1D better than the Jet? The only advantage I see are the extended runtimes but at the cost of lower levels of output, but hey thats what rechargeables are for. The way I see it is, for the same price I could get a brighter, programmable, more attractive IMHO, EDC light. Also is the L1D fully functional on 14500 batts. I don't think so but correct me if i am wrong.

  7. #7
    Flashaholic* 04orgZx6r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North of Indy, Indiana
    Posts
    523

    Default Re: Please, help me make a decision.

    Quote Originally Posted by CRESCENDOPOWER View Post
    I recommend the Fenix P2D CE, or stretch your budget $20 more, and get a NovaTac.
    I considered the P2D but, can you use rechargeables without losing the low mode? Also I like the nova tac 120s but really $80 dollars is stretching my budget.

    Anyone have anything against the Jetbeam? Or if you really like yours tell me about it. I really like the light but it is so new that not a lot of people haven't said much about it except for the people that have reviewed it.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Please, help me make a decision.

    I second the recommendation for the NovaTac. I really like my 120P, though a case can be made for a light that accepts AA cells. At any rate, the 120P is more than your budget, but I do not think you would be sorry should you decide to spend the extra.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Which EDC is best for me?

    How about a Olight T-20? I EDC mine ( I have two) and they are well made, reliable, adjustable output. I use rechargeable 123's. Got them from Batteryjunction.com, nice folks.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Which EDC is best for me?

    I also like the Olights and I have the T15 and T20. I prefer the 15 as it uses one AA battery instead of CR123a's. I have the original version of it and it is very bright with 5 modes of operation. The new version is even better and it is less than what I paid!!

    http://www.batteryjunction.com/t15-olight-aa.html

    You can also get a 5% CPF discount at Batteryjunction!! Use the cpf2006 discount code. They also have great service!

    Hope this helps!

    Mike

  11. #11
    Flashaholic* 04orgZx6r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North of Indy, Indiana
    Posts
    523

    Default Re: Which EDC is best for me?

    Honestly after the Jet, the T15 was my next choice as it is almost identical to the L1D Q5(runtime and brightness), but almost half the cost.
    Thanks for all the suggestions but I think I have decided to buy the JET, I really like everything about it. The problem is I want everything but only "need" one, lol.

  12. #12
    Flashaholic gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Northeastern US
    Posts
    457

    Default Re: Which EDC is best for me?

    Can't say I agree with you on the NDI having reliability issues. A few quirks here and there - but let's face it - there's a lot of talk about this light. If they are unreliable, how come everyone and his brother wants one???

    Only risk I see you taking is that the Jet is newly out on the market. Reviews aside, it may take awhile for any bugs, glitches to present themselves. In any case - good luck!

  13. #13
    Flashaholic smopoim86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    327

    Default Re: Which EDC is best for me?

    I just got a Jet-I IBS today and really like the IBS system. It's so nice to be able to program the modes you want. (one thing i noticed about it though is that the trustfire 14500 from dx are too long to fit. Anything longer than a normal AA, even by a mm or so, will not allow you to screw the cap on enough for it to work.)

  14. #14

    Default Re: Which EDC is best for me?

    I will recommend my current EDC - LumaPower IncenDio.

  15. #15
    Flashaholic* 04orgZx6r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North of Indy, Indiana
    Posts
    523

    Default Re: Which EDC is best for me?

    Quote Originally Posted by gilly View Post
    Can't say I agree with you on the NDI having reliability issues. A few quirks here and there - but let's face it - there's a lot of talk about this light. If they are unreliable, how come everyone and his brother wants one???

    Only risk I see you taking is that the Jet is newly out on the market. Reviews aside, it may take awhile for any bugs, glitches to present themselves. In any case - good luck!
    Right, as I don't own an NDI I really don't know, I just know what others have said. I really like the looks of the NDI, well actually almost everything about it. It just sounds a little shaky because a lot of people have had problems with theres, just look around at the recent posts and you will see what i mean. To me the quality kinda sounds like DX. Personally most of my lights from there have been great. But my others that are bad, such as a bad switch..., others have reported great quality. I really expect this at a $15-$25 price tag. But at $80 for the NDI I really don't want to hear about these problems because honestly knowing my luck I would be one of the people to get a bum light...not cool in my book.

    I agree with you about the Jet being new and problems haven't really had time to show up yet, but Jetbeam also has a pretty high reputation for quality, so I am not too worried.

    I am excited, however, about the Nitecore Extreme and hope it will be a great light, waiting for the reviews will hopefully give me time to save up for it as well.

  16. #16
    Flashaholic* 04orgZx6r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North of Indy, Indiana
    Posts
    523

    Default Re: Which EDC is best for me?

    Quote Originally Posted by smopoim86 View Post
    I just got a Jet-I IBS today and really like the IBS system. It's so nice to be able to program the modes you want. (one thing i noticed about it though is that the trustfire 14500 from dx are too long to fit. Anything longer than a normal AA, even by a mm or so, will not allow you to screw the cap on enough for it to work.)
    Great to hear. Where did you get yours from? I'm thinking about just ordering from HKequipment they seem to be the cheapest....So I guess non-protected 14500's might be the way to go?

  17. #17

    Default Re: Which EDC is best for me?

    I know, I know, it's more $$$... but I have to say, NOVATAC NOVATAC NOVATAC !!!

    I bought a P2D Rebel 100, and it's awesome. I've EDC'd it for a year now and love it. I do know though that I would love the Novatac even more as it actually puts out 120 lumens out the front and has the ability to go REALLY LOW. My P2D only puts out about 100 lumens on high, and can't stay there that long. As well as blinding my wife at night with the "low" it has...

    I wish I would've gotten a Novatac to begin with and saved money by just buying one light...

    (words of the wise)...

    -RC
    Quark: 123 XP-G R5 Lite Flux: LF2XT - XP-G R5 upgrade Nitecore: EX-10 GDP Fenix: P2D [/FONT]CE with L2D, L1D bodies Zebralight: H30-Q5 Coleman: Exponent lantern

  18. #18
    *Flashaholic* Marduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    10,110

    Default Re: Which EDC is best for me?

    Quote Originally Posted by 04orgZx6r View Post
    Right, as I don't own an NDI I really don't know, I just know what others have said. I really like the looks of the NDI, well actually almost everything about it. It just sounds a little shaky because a lot of people have had problems with theres, just look around at the recent posts and you will see what i mean. To me the quality kinda sounds like DX. Personally most of my lights from there have been great. But my others that are bad, such as a bad switch..., others have reported great quality. I really expect this at a $15-$25 price tag. But at $80 for the NDI I really don't want to hear about these problems because honestly knowing my luck I would be one of the people to get a bum light...not cool in my book.

    I agree with you about the Jet being new and problems haven't really had time to show up yet, but Jetbeam also has a pretty high reputation for quality, so I am not too worried.

    I am excited, however, about the Nitecore Extreme and hope it will be a great light, waiting for the reviews will hopefully give me time to save up for it as well.

    Where are you hearing this from? Most all the posts I've read deal with the user's inability to work the unique UI of the light properly. They either don't clean the contacts like they should, do not twist the head far enough, or simply don't understand the sequence to switch modes.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Please, help me make a decision.

    Quote Originally Posted by jdonner View Post
    Fenix L1D Q5
    +1

  20. #20
    Flashaholic* 04orgZx6r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North of Indy, Indiana
    Posts
    523

    Default Re: Which EDC is best for me?

    Quote Originally Posted by Marduke View Post
    Where are you hearing this from? Most all the posts I've read deal with the user's inability to work the unique UI of the light properly. They either don't clean the contacts like they should, do not twist the head far enough, or simply don't understand the sequence to switch modes.
    Are you seriously that blind, I am not trying to be a jerk, but come on.... I have seen you post in threads involving quality issues...recently.

    I am not dissing the NDI, or Edge Tac, because personally I kind of want one myself, but like i have said before I have a problem buying an $80 dollar light when there are rumors of reliability and quality problems, i just don't want to take that chance yet.

    And if you still don't believe me about where I am hearing this, look around. i don't have the time to quote posts but, many people have commented on having switch problems, why do you think they include a second one. And on TAD's website they say that the NDIs he is selling have "better" quality for the US. Why would they think to specify better if there aren't already reports of bad quality.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Which EDC is best for me?

    I EDC a P2D Q5, and I'm about as happy as I could be with it.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Which EDC is best for me?

    I think you should go for it the JetBeam. I have limited experience with the other Fenix lights mention, but my JetBeam MKII IBS is really nice. Pocketable, and not TOO expensive. It's impressively bright for a light that size on a 14500 battery, I carry mine in my pocket every day.

  23. #23
    Flashaholic RdlyLite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Reedley, Ca
    Posts
    295

    Default Re: Which EDC is best for me?

    From what I have read and experienced, I would like to add the following:

    To me, EDC = Simple user interface that allows access to different lighting levels on the fly, acceptance of primaries and rechargeables, good throw and spill, and durability.

    With that said I recommend the Lumapower Incendio.
    Subaru lovin',tree-huggin', flashaholic kinda nerd.

  24. #24
    *Flashaholic* Marduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    10,110

    Default Re: Which EDC is best for me?

    Quote Originally Posted by 04orgZx6r View Post
    Are you seriously that blind, I am not trying to be a jerk, but come on.... I have seen you post in threads involving quality issues...recently.

    Yes, I have. I've seen a couple posts about a switch that went out, but the VAST majority are just people not using the UI properly and think the quality of the light is to blame when it acts screwy. Reading the directions more than once, a little lube, and a little cleaning go a LONG way to a proper functioning light (true for ANY brand).

    No offense, but you've been watching NDI threads for what, a little over ONE month when you registered in late March?? I've read through just about every thread that pops up about them since their introduction in early November. That includes every single post in both announcement threads, which includes all 1874 posts on 63 pages in the MP, and 707 posts on 25 pages in CPF proper. Along with dozens of other threads.

  25. #25
    Enlightened m2usa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    59

    Default Re: Which EDC is best for me?

    Quote Originally Posted by Marduke View Post
    Yes, I have. I've seen a couple posts about a switch that went out, but the VAST majority are just people not using the UI properly and think the quality of the light is to blame when it acts screwy. Reading the directions more than once, a little lube, and a little cleaning go a LONG way to a proper functioning light (true for ANY brand).

    No offense, but you've been watching NDI threads for what, a little over ONE month when you registered in late March?? I've read through just about every thread that pops up about them since their introduction in early November. That includes every single post in both announcement threads, which includes all 1874 posts on 63 pages in the MP, and 707 posts on 25 pages in CPF proper. Along with dozens of other threads.
    I've read that there are some quality issues with some of the NDIs that have gone out (i.e., a bad switch), but I don't think we should assume that they are all facing these issues. Many CPFers have the NDI and as far as I can tell, they are happy with them. For me, the UI is super easy; however, I think that you have to try one to really know if it's going to work for you or not. Some people just prefer a soft-switch to change modes which the Jetbeam uses. Again, I like the C-LEv2, but maybe if you tried an NDI you might like it. There were some NDIs in the BST forum that were going for around $60 or so. Just a thought. Good luck.
    SF A2 Avi@tor : SF 3R-BL : SF 3P : SF 6P : SF 9P : SF 9N : 1nova X5 : N1teCore ND1 : JetBe@m C-LE v.2 : Fen1x L0D-Q4 : Camo ARC-AAA : Ultraf1re WF-502 : SolarF0rce L2 R2

  26. #26
    Flashaholic* 04orgZx6r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North of Indy, Indiana
    Posts
    523

    Default Re: Which EDC is best for me?

    Quote Originally Posted by m13a8 View Post
    I think you should go for it the JetBeam. I have limited experience with the other Fenix lights mention, but my JetBeam MKII IBS is really nice. Pocketable, and not TOO expensive. It's impressively bright for a light that size on a 14500 battery, I carry mine in my pocket every day.
    Thanks for the suggestion and I am going to go with the JET. Hopefully I will love it.

  27. #27
    Flashaholic* 04orgZx6r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North of Indy, Indiana
    Posts
    523

    Default Re: Which EDC is best for me?

    Quote Originally Posted by Marduke View Post
    Yes, I have. I've seen a couple posts about a switch that went out, but the VAST majority are just people not using the UI properly and think the quality of the light is to blame when it acts screwy. Reading the directions more than once, a little lube, and a little cleaning go a LONG way to a proper functioning light (true for ANY brand).

    No offense, but you've been watching NDI threads for what, a little over ONE month when you registered in late March?? I've read through just about every thread that pops up about them since their introduction in early November. That includes every single post in both announcement threads, which includes all 1874 posts on 63 pages in the MP, and 707 posts on 25 pages in CPF proper. Along with dozens of other threads.
    True, I haven't been here since the release of the NDI and I realize that not everyone knows how to use their new lights properly, therefore the claims of it acting "screwy". I guess this sudden outburst of NDI quality threads threw me a bit. This is a big purchase for me, as I am still getting into flashlights, and hope to make the right decision the first time.
    I think that most people with the NDI are more than happy with their lights, as I am sure I would be. For me I pick the JET, however if they were equal in price I would probably be a tougher choice. That gives me all the more reason to buy the Extreme when it comes out, that way I can try a nitecore for myself.

  28. #28
    *Flashaholic* Marduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    10,110

    Default Re: Which EDC is best for me?

    Quote Originally Posted by 04orgZx6r View Post
    True, I haven't been here since the release of the NDI and I realize that not everyone knows how to use their new lights properly, therefore the claims of it acting "screwy". I guess this sudden outburst of NDI quality threads threw me a bit. This is a big purchase for me, as I am still getting into flashlights, and hope to make the right decision the first time.
    I think that most people with the NDI are more than happy with their lights, as I am sure I would be. For me I pick the JET, however if they were equal in price I would probably be a tougher choice. That gives me all the more reason to buy the Extreme when it comes out, that way I can try a nitecore for myself.
    The reason for the sudden "outbust" of NDI threads is due to a much more mundane reason. The initial production run of 500 units was sold quickly and shipped in December. For a number of months the only source of of them was second hand. Just recently there have been renewed production runs of the light, which inevitably leads to another spike of people threads dealing with numerous "issues", both real and imaginary.


    Read such threads with a grain of salt. There is a reason an "issue" thread has three VERY common responses within the first few posts. They are not meant to offend, but they simply solve a huge chunk of the "issues"

    1) Have you checked you batteries and tried one that's positively fresh?
    2) Have you read the instruction manual? Twice?
    3) Have you cleaned all contacts and threads with an alcohol swab?

    The NDI has the added complication of having a very unique switching mechanism with the head twisting, which throws a lot of people off.

  29. #29
    Flashaholic* LEDninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Hamilton Canada
    Posts
    4,896

    Default Re: Which EDC is best for me?

    Quote Originally Posted by 04orgZx6r View Post
    Since I will be using this everyday, It needs to have great quality, I want to know that it shouldn't fall apart after a few months.
    The NDI have not been around long enough to prove it's long term reliability.
    A certain older model of Jetbeam has a 40% failure rate and Jetbeam and it's dealers were non responsive to complaints. Jetbeam started a QC program when sales to CPF members fell off but I still read posts complaining they have not got their act together. The I.B.S. is a brand new model of unknown reliability.
    The Fenix L1T have been around for a couple of years now and the v2.0 over 9 months. Have not heard any reliability problems other than with the original forward clicky (because Feniix was not sure of the reliability of those switches they also shipped the old reliable reverse clicky in the early batches so owners of dead forward clickys have a replacement switch at hand). Also 4sevens owner of the Fenix store is very quick to fix/replace broken down lights. If you do not need strobe or SOS or low the L1D may not be worth the extra cost for a slight increase in brightness.

    I find AA lights a bit big for pocket carry. The only AA light small enough for me is the Civictor V1 but that is dim by todays standards. Being a twistie there is no click switch to worry about.

    I carry the Ultrafire 602C from DX as my main EDC (surprise!) with a Fenix L0D CE as backup on my keychain. With rechargeables the battery dies quite abruptly so it is preferable to always carry a backup light.
    Last edited by LEDninja; 04-29-2008 at 11:30 PM.

  30. #30
    Flashaholic* 04orgZx6r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North of Indy, Indiana
    Posts
    523

    Default Re: Which EDC is best for me?

    @Marduke Thanks a lot for all of the helpful information. I really shouldn't have been so quick to judge the NDI with "reliability issues" After a lot of though I orderd the Jet because of personal preference, honestly mostly what it came down to was the smooth vs. rough finsh for carrying it in my pocket. And again, Thanks for the help!

    i do have one more question though; As long as I don't overcharge(I have a charger with a 4.2v cut off) and take the battery out shortly after %50 usage, will I be ok to use 14500 unprotected batteries in these types of lights?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •