Which EDC is best for me?

04orgZx6r

Enlightened
Hey, to start this off I am looking to buy a pocketable EDC, but unfortunately am having a hard time choosing.
Before i tell you what I am thinking let me tell you about what i am looking for in an EDC.

1. It needs to be small and reliable, I want to carry it around in my pocket, not a holster. Since I will be using this everyday, It needs to have great quality, I want to know that it shouldn't fall apart after a few months. Also this will be my first "more expensive" flashlight as I have a few cheap ones from DX.
2. Price range is about 40-80 dollars.
3. I don't really care whether it has forward or reverse clicky
4. Batteries, I will be using rechargeables, so agian i don't care what battery it uses, AA 14500 rcr123 are all fine.
5. I like a real bright light to impress people, also some useful applications, but a solid medium to low are more important.

Heres, what I'm thinking....
I really like the looks of the NDI but it costs around 80 dollars, at the top of my price range, and seems to have some reliability issues.

So.... I think that I want the Jetbeam Jet 1 IBS, which is only 56 dollars and looks great too. This would still be a pretty big purchase for me, I'm in college+too many hobbies=broke, so i want to be sure i get the right one the first time, so I need some input from the pros:twothumbs

Basically what I am asking is, is there any reason I shouldn't get the Jet, if so what? Also is there anything in my price range that you think would be better?
Thanks in advance for any Input!

Last edited:
Re: Please, help me make a decision.

I recommend the Fenix P2D CE, or stretch your budget $20 more, and get a NovaTac.

04orgZx6r

Enlightened

Thanks for the suggestions. How is the L1D better than the Jet? The only advantage I see are the extended runtimes but at the cost of lower levels of output, but hey thats what rechargeables are for. The way I see it is, for the same price I could get a brighter, programmable, more attractive IMHO, EDC light. Also is the L1D fully functional on 14500 batts. I don't think so but correct me if i am wrong.

04orgZx6r

Enlightened

I recommend the Fenix P2D CE, or stretch your budget $20 more, and get a NovaTac.

I considered the P2D but, can you use rechargeables without losing the low mode? Also I like the nova tac 120s but really $80 dollars is stretching my budget.

Anyone have anything against the Jetbeam? Or if you really like yours tell me about it. I really like the light but it is so new that not a lot of people haven't said much about it except for the people that have reviewed it.

tposs01

Newly Enlightened

I second the recommendation for the NovaTac. I really like my 120P, though a case can be made for a light that accepts AA cells. At any rate, the 120P is more than your budget, but I do not think you would be sorry should you decide to spend the extra.

Frankiarmz

Enlightened
How about a Olight T-20? I EDC mine ( I have two) and they are well made, reliable, adjustable output. I use rechargeable 123's. Got them from Batteryjunction.com, nice folks.:thumbsup:

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also like the Olights and I have the T15 and T20. I prefer the 15 as it uses one AA battery instead of CR123a's. I have the original version of it and it is very bright with 5 modes of operation. The new version is even better and it is less than what I paid!!:thumbsup:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/t15-olight-aa.html

You can also get a 5% CPF discount at Batteryjunction!!:thumbsup: Use the cpf2006 discount code. They also have great service!

Hope this helps!

Mike

04orgZx6r

Enlightened
Honestly after the Jet, the T15 was my next choice as it is almost identical to the L1D Q5(runtime and brightness), but almost half the cost.
Thanks for all the suggestions but I think I have decided to buy the JET, I really like everything about it. The problem is I want everything but only "need" one, lol.

gilly

Enlightened
Can't say I agree with you on the NDI having reliability issues. A few quirks here and there - but let's face it - there's a lot of talk about this light. If they are unreliable, how come everyone and his brother wants one???

Only risk I see you taking is that the Jet is newly out on the market. Reviews aside, it may take awhile for any bugs, glitches to present themselves. In any case - good luck!

smopoim86

Enlightened
I just got a Jet-I IBS today and really like the IBS system. It's so nice to be able to program the modes you want. (one thing i noticed about it though is that the trustfire 14500 from dx are too long to fit. Anything longer than a normal AA, even by a mm or so, will not allow you to screw the cap on enough for it to work.)

04orgZx6r

Enlightened
Can't say I agree with you on the NDI having reliability issues. A few quirks here and there - but let's face it - there's a lot of talk about this light. If they are unreliable, how come everyone and his brother wants one???

Only risk I see you taking is that the Jet is newly out on the market. Reviews aside, it may take awhile for any bugs, glitches to present themselves. In any case - good luck!

Right, as I don't own an NDI I really don't know, I just know what others have said. I really like the looks of the NDI, well actually almost everything about it. It just sounds a little shaky because a lot of people have had problems with theres, just look around at the recent posts and you will see what i mean. To me the quality kinda sounds like DX. Personally most of my lights from there have been great. But my others that are bad, such as a bad switch..., others have reported great quality. I really expect this at a $15-$25 price tag. But at $80 for the NDI I really don't want to hear about these problems because honestly knowing my luck I would be one of the people to get a bum light...not cool in my book.

I agree with you about the Jet being new and problems haven't really had time to show up yet, but Jetbeam also has a pretty high reputation for quality, so I am not too worried.

I am excited, however, about the Nitecore Extreme and hope it will be a great light, waiting for the reviews will hopefully give me time to save up for it as well.:D

04orgZx6r

Enlightened
I just got a Jet-I IBS today and really like the IBS system. It's so nice to be able to program the modes you want. (one thing i noticed about it though is that the trustfire 14500 from dx are too long to fit. Anything longer than a normal AA, even by a mm or so, will not allow you to screw the cap on enough for it to work.)

Great to hear. Where did you get yours from? I'm thinking about just ordering from HKequipment they seem to be the cheapest....So I guess non-protected 14500's might be the way to go?

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
I know, I know, it's more $$$... but I have to say, NOVATAC NOVATAC NOVATAC !!!

I bought a P2D Rebel 100, and it's awesome. I've EDC'd it for a year now and love it. I do know though that I would love the Novatac even more as it actually puts out 120 lumens out the front and has the ability to go REALLY LOW. My P2D only puts out about 100 lumens on high, and can't stay there that long. As well as blinding my wife at night with the "low" it has...

I wish I would've gotten a Novatac to begin with and saved money by just buying one light...

(words of the wise)...

-RC

Marduke

Flashaholic
Right, as I don't own an NDI I really don't know, I just know what others have said. I really like the looks of the NDI, well actually almost everything about it. It just sounds a little shaky because a lot of people have had problems with theres, just look around at the recent posts and you will see what i mean. To me the quality kinda sounds like DX. Personally most of my lights from there have been great. But my others that are bad, such as a bad switch..., others have reported great quality. I really expect this at a $15-$25 price tag. But at $80 for the NDI I really don't want to hear about these problems because honestly knowing my luck I would be one of the people to get a bum light...not cool in my book.

I agree with you about the Jet being new and problems haven't really had time to show up yet, but Jetbeam also has a pretty high reputation for quality, so I am not too worried.

I am excited, however, about the Nitecore Extreme and hope it will be a great light, waiting for the reviews will hopefully give me time to save up for it as well.:D

Where are you hearing this from? Most all the posts I've read deal with the user's inability to work the unique UI of the light properly. They either don't clean the contacts like they should, do not twist the head far enough, or simply don't understand the sequence to switch modes.

04orgZx6r

Enlightened
Where are you hearing this from? Most all the posts I've read deal with the user's inability to work the unique UI of the light properly. They either don't clean the contacts like they should, do not twist the head far enough, or simply don't understand the sequence to switch modes.

Are you seriously that blind, I am not trying to be a jerk, but come on.... I have seen you post in threads involving quality issues...recently.

I am not dissing the NDI, or Edge Tac, because personally I kind of want one myself, but like i have said before I have a problem buying an $80 dollar light when there are rumors of reliability and quality problems, i just don't want to take that chance yet.

And if you still don't believe me about where I am hearing this, look around. i don't have the time to quote posts but, many people have commented on having switch problems, why do you think they include a second one. And on TAD's website they say that the NDIs he is selling have "better" quality for the US. Why would they think to specify better if there aren't already reports of bad quality.