Has anyone put a p7 into a p60 drop in?

underconstruction

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone tried it? I'm not sure how you would properly heat sink it. Also the reflector might be a bit small.

Norm

Retired Administrator
I've been thinking about it, perhaps at 1.4 Amps be a nice little flood monster. :eek:
Norm

c0t0d0s0

Enlightened
Hmm.

I wonder how hard can a P7 practically be driven in P60 drop-in - with its less than stellar heatsinking capabilities. Probably no higher than 1.2-1.5A. The question is, is it really going to be much brighter than a slightly overdriven single Cree Q5?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Hmm.

I wonder how hard can a P7 practically be driven in P60 drop-in - with its less than stellar heatsinking capabilities. Probably no higher than 1.2-1.5A. The question is, is it really going to be much brighter than a slightly overdriven single Cree Q5?

x2... I think its asking a lot of the 6P design to dissipate that much heat over such a small surface area. But then again, that P7 DX torch isn't much bigger than the 6P, and it uses a plastic reflector. I am not sure how much heat is conducted through the reflector? But logically you would think an all aluminum design would fare better.

FWIW... the DX-R2 dropin gets pretty warm after ~10 minutes, sitting on a desk. HOWEVER actual use in the field with a little movement and cool air circulating over the light keeps it surprisingly cool. In-field its just a little warm around the bezel.

Multi-modes would be really nice though.

const451

Newly Enlightened
Excellent find!!:twothumbs

That means by the time SureFire will have made their 200lm drop-in available we will be buying 400lm P7 drop-ins from the third parties.