Novatac or Surefire?

Dan0s

Newly Enlightened
Ok guys so ive been broke for so long due to studying and very little work. Its my birthday and finally i have some money to purchase something i will find useful:twothumbs. Ive been thinking about the Novatacs but i don't really know the difference between the 120E, P or T in output usefulness and also runtime.

But I'm also interested in the Surefire E1B, E1L and L1. As you can see i would like a single cell CR123 powered light. But i would like one that can take some rechargeable's, although i am unsure if any of them can.
Would love any feedback on my situation!
Thanx guys :twothumbs

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't mind doing a little more studying go with the Novatac. The "P" is a programmable model that allows you to customize your settings. There is a bit of a learning curve but once you have the light programmed the way you like it is esy to use. Surefires are good too but the Novatac is a little more versatile and fun to mess around with IMHO. Good luck with your choice!

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are all great lights, but unfortunately the only one you have listed that takes rechargeable batteries is the Novatac. As the previous poster said, the 120P is user programmable, and can be set to 4 levels of your choice. Takes a day or two to master the program, but it very fun once you have it. The other thing I like about the UI on the 120P is that you don't have to cycle through levels to get to other levels. Any of the levels are available just with a click of the the button. So, if being able to use rechargeable batteries is a must....the Novatac is your only choice. Like I said....the Surefires are great lights, and if you haven't noticed...#1 in my opinion. If you decide rechargeable batteries aren't a must...any one of those SF lights you listed are great lights.

Whooo Hooo! I just noticed that this is my 1000th post.....:party:

Last edited:

frank777

Enlightened
Last edited:

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Novatac 120P and can't be more than happy with it. There are flashlights out there that are brighter, but for practical purpose, I rarely need more than 120 lumens. In fact, my primary setting for my 120P is only 60 lumens. I think currently the 120P is the most versatile and has the most advanced circuitry for a flashlight.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
my primary setting for my 120P is only 60 lumens
Mine is only 30l:nana:

The 120P is awfully nice. But the E1B & E1L have their place as well. If you want a skinny light, go with the SF. If you want total control, get the Novatac. Hard to fault any of the three.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's very true. Forget about Liteflux.

Also, on a side note, from all my flashlights, the Novatac has the nicest beam. It's also little bulkier and heavier than other 1xCR123a lights, but that's because it's built like a tank. I've gotten used to carrying it now and it doesn't really bother me too much.

LiteFlux is in the same category, but UI of NovaTac is much better.

I too like my NovaTac.

HKJ

Flashaholic
That's very true. Forget about Liteflux.

Why "forget about LiteFlux"?

I only have the LF2X (1xAAA), but it a good flashlight and like any other of my flashlight it has some good sides and some bad sides.
I can not really compare performance to NovaTac, because it has much less power (due to the AAA battery) and it only has two easy accessible levels, where NovaTac has four, but it can things that NovaTac can not (the opposite is also true).

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, I'm sorry, I was typing quickly and didn't realized that what I said could be misinterpretted. When I said "Forget about Liteflux", I meant, "Oh, I forgot about Liteflux". I agree that Liteflux has a pretty sophisticated circuitry. I actually want to pick up a LiteFlux LF2X, but I already have the Fenix L0d. What I may end up doing is buy a Streamlight Microstream, put my L0d's head on instead, and use my L0d as a penlight, and then buy the Liteflux for my keychain.

Sorry, off topic.

Why "forget about LiteFlux"?

I only have the LF2X (1xAAA), but it a good flashlight and like any other of my flashlight it has some good sides and some bad sides.
I can not really compare performance to NovaTac, because it has much less power (due to the AAA battery) and it only has two easy accessible levels, where NovaTac has four, but it can things that NovaTac can not (the opposite is also true).

Frankiarmz

Enlightened
Happy Birthday Danos0012! I hope you have a good one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1bqrCN3tkI&NR=1

I have had several Novatacs and Surefires, and I prefer the Novatac P. But even one better would be the new HDS flashlight.

http://www.batterystation.com/hds-edcflashlights.htm

You'll probably have to wait 6 weeks to get your order, but the quality is better than the Novatac and it takes rechargeables.

Good luck!

Frank, the info on the HDS was good but that youtube was fantastic. I'm fifty four years old and remember watching that when I was a kid. Thanks.

Zenster

Enlightened
I've got the 120P as well as E1B, E1L/Dual, E1L/Single and L1.
And having rotated them all in and out of my EDC stable, I'd say to go with the 120P as your first.

The programmability coupled with the amazingly nice spill beam (as opposed to the Surefires which are throwers) and it's ability to use rechargeables make the 120P a no-brainer.
And although it has great spill, it's still a notable thrower.

Having said that, be sure to get at least a couple of the single-cell Surefires. They're built like little tanks and the simplicity of just two levels and decent runtimes make them a "must have" as much as the 120P in any collection.

Still, when I go out at night, I grab the 120P more often than any of my other EDC lights.

chaoss

Enlightened
Zenster said it perfectly, I have the L1, 120e & 120p along with a few Fenix torches but the one that I carry most often is the 120e.
Of the lights that you listed there really is no loser in the bunch. Research them all and pick the one that most suits your needs.

Happy hunting.

blinder switch

Newly Enlightened
I have 2 each second generation L1 Digital Lumamaxs and I just received my E1B a few days ago.

I really like both lights, and if you get either I am sure you will be pleased. The L1 is easier to hold onto, due to the smootheness and no ring or lanyard for the E1B, but it is a powerful pocket full of good light. My L1's actually look just as bright as my E1B with a tiny bit more outer spill. The switches are almost exactly opposite jn some regards. I like the lower light coming on first, as the L1 does.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought this was an easier answer about a month ago, but today, the gap is narrowing in my mind.

My answer is still the Novatac 120P, but more and more, I am LOVING my E1L. The beam is different than what a reflector produces, but the optic produces a fantasticly useful beam on low and high with just enough spill to be useful and enough throw to wow ya.

The E1B may even be better for EDC as the high is higher and the low is brighter as well.

Either will be a good choice, but I think that you might enjoy the 120P more.

Dan0s

Newly Enlightened
Thanks very much for the replies everyone! I think i will probably end up going with the 120P for rechargeable reasons!
I'm going to search around for some beamshots and some run times as well.
I'm looking forward to a new light! Its been a long time
Thanks again!

sawlight

Enlightened
It depends on what you are asking/expecting from the light. Two totally different beams. I LOVED my old L1 for what it was, nice low and a powerful throw on high. I guess the new ones are more floody, and I have no idea on the E1B.
If you do a lot of close work but need something that will light up somehing 50yds away CLEARLY and get you down a path the Novatacs are hard to beat. The HDS twisty looks solid, but I have come to like the UI of the Novatacs and I see no need what so ever to build it tougher than the Novatac!
I had to be talked into buying the 120P, I wanted the flat tailcap but not the problems with programing it, and am glad I was!! I have had no need to program it as the factory settings are close enough for what I need.
The Surefires are tanks, solid, work all the time everytime, the quality of these lights is second to none!!!
So, you want a tank with a bit more throw, or a tank with a little more usable "upclose light" and the versatility of several levels that you can program?
I think highly of all the lights you have chosen, so it comes down to what you expect of the light. Either way I think you will be happy.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're going to get a Novatac 120P, get it from YourCornerStore. They have the best rate I've seen ... for only $120 (about $130 with shipping and handling). They only have 5 left in black, so hurry up.

P.S. I'm so tempted to get a natural color one just because I'm :sick2:

Dan0s

Newly Enlightened
It doesnt look like yourcornerstore.com ships to Australia! I guess i'll have to hunt around for a good price with reasonable shipping!