New To CPF --- Need Help Deciding

Cray

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone! I have to start off by saying you guys are awesome :thumbsup:. I've just joined CPF & I'm in need of some advice. I'm looking for an LED EDC (will be using a holster) which will be for general use & to investigate the occasional "bump in the night" at home (75 foot maximum distance). I'm planning on using CR123s and possibly rechargeables, I'd like a minimum of 150 lumens, with a momentary-on switch, 4-6 inches in length, & an HAIII finish. My budget is $75. Ideally, it would be great if this light could be easily upgradeable for someone who is not familiar with modifying, but that isn't an absolute requirement. Now based on these guidelines, I've narrowed my choices down to the Lumapower M1-T, Wolf Eyes 6AX HO Q2, and the Fenix TK10, but I just can't decide which one of these to get :thinking:. And, no, as much as I would love to, buying 2 of these or all 3 is not an option. I'd really appreciate any help you could give me. Thank you.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TK10 is a very beefy light, and not best suited to EDC unless you've got a job that warrants that level of light (security, etc). The L2T uses "standard" AA', but fulfills all of your other requirements. I wouldn't get this light if reliability is a serious issue though, as the forward clickies on the older models were a bit unreliable, and have yet to be proved on the newer models.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
This may be slightly outside your budget, but how about Surefire 6P and buy an LED Drop in? You could get the 6P for about $40 or under, and you could get an LED drop in from anywhere between $20 - $70. The best one that I know of is Malkoff M60, M60L drop-ins (http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop2/index-main_page-index-cPath-1_8.html). The M60 is 235+ lumens and M60L is 140 Lumens. The Surefire 6P is very easy to modify, just open the bezel remove the existing lamp assembly, put in the new one, and you're done. This thread shows you the P60 dropins: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/193992

Cray

Newly Enlightened
The TK10 is a very beefy light, and not best suited to EDC unless you've got a job that warrants that level of light (security, etc). The L2T uses "standard" AA', but fulfills all of your other requirements. I wouldn't get this light if reliability is a serious issue though, as the forward clickies on the older models were a bit unreliable, and have yet to be proved on the newer models.
Thank you, Jarl. I didn't realize the L2T had a forward clicky.

gilly

Enlightened
Except for the forward clicky, sounds like a P3D would suit you just fine. Also, as previously mentioned, the L2T V2.0 would fit the bill with a forward clicky, although in AA format. 4Sevens has a great new warranty now:

https://www.fenix-store.com/information.php?info_id=2

If for some reason you had a problem, they are QUICK to take care of you. Customer service is #1 with those good folks.

A though about upgrading - read this perspective in another thread recently: An upgrade will cost you anywhere from 30 to 75 bucks anyway, and then you just have an old pill to show for it. Whichever light you end up getting, it will be a solid performer - regardless of how much lights improve over the next few years. Why not just get a new light when ready to upgrade - probably won't cost much more, if any more than the darn new pill! And then instead of an upgraded light and a used pill, you'd have TWO flashlights - maybe throw the older (but still very effective) model in the glovebox on your car...some food for thought!

Good luck picking!

m2usa

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to CPF! :welcome:

Even though the 6P is Level II and not HA, it is still a nicely made light and I have a 6P that is over a decade old, and now running an R2 dropins. For the money, it might be a good place to start. In regard to the dropins, even though I don't have a Malkoff myself (M60 or M60L), I hear nothing but great things about them. It might be worth it for you to start there. Good luck!

Cray

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. The Fenix L2T v2.0 sounds great as does the Olight T20 Tactical. I also like the idea of a 6P with a dropin, but is there a decent, 150+ lumen dropin for less than $60?

Also, does anyone have any thoughts re: the Lumapower M1-T or the Wolf Eyes 6AX HO Q2?

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find the l2t body tube too thin to hold comfortably in hand, it's thinner than minimag.

If you want upgradability, surefire 6p is best. Fenix is easily upgradable too if you can open the head, but most of them are glued shut.

Cray

Newly Enlightened
Oops, my bad, I answered my own question re: 6p dropins under $60 (thanks xcel730, found the Bugoutgear dropins). What rechargeable batteries can the 6p run on?

Cray

Newly Enlightened
OK, so if I get a Surefire G2 or 6P, depending on the led drop-in, I could end up with a single or multi-level light that runs on rechargeables as well as CR123s? It looks like the description for the drop-in would state how many levels it is designed for. How would I know if it can run on rechargeables & if so, what type?

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is Level II and how does it differ form HA?
IMHO the 6P suggestion PLUS a Malkoff drop in is a very good way to go because for one thing it will allow you to expand your collection.
The 6P is a fantastic starter light it is part of a very expandable system.
It is also USA made and carries a lifetime warranty. Unlike many of the lights mentioned so far.

The Fenix TK10 is a cool light but it is what it is you will not ever be able to add a turbo head to it or a different switch or even try different light sources. The fenix is fixed and can not be altered without modding the light. The 6P allows for a great deal of add on changes heads switches even the ability to use "regular" globes which are available as very bright Hotwire globes which are quite inexpensive.
I say go for the 6P and buy a drop in for it. You should stay away from the cheap clones or knock off from CHINA. the prices are tempting but you loose the great customer care from SUREFIRE.
You have lots of options. I highly recommend that you go and try as many lights as possible. Your local GUN shop or Police supply shop or even army surplus and sporting goods shops all may carry Surefire products and since the 6P is so popular you should be able to find it in almost any of these places. BTW You may even want to consider the G2L which is a nitrolon (glass filled polymer) version which comes with a LED globe for starters. It is a complete light ready to go and within your price range. The G2L is very high quality and is durable beyond belief.
Good luck chose wisely.

Yaesumofo

Welcome to CPF! :welcome:

Even though the 6P is Level II and not HA, it is still a nicely made light and I have a 6P that is over a decade old, and now running an R2 dropins. For the money, it might be a good place to start. In regard to the dropins, even though I don't have a Malkoff myself (M60 or M60L), I hear nothing but great things about them. It might be worth it for you to start there. Good luck!

Wattnot

Enlightened
Nobody is going to mention the Dereelight CL1H? I believe it meets all of the stated requirements in the first post. A lot of the lights mentioned so far have reverse clickys so that kills the momentary requirement. The CL1H is a forward clicky with tactical momentary. The CL1H is probably one the most upgradeable lights around, being able to just replace the pill and not an entire module. You can get the CL1H with the 2SM option and have a high and a low AND the ability to run CR123's or a rechargeable 18650. It meets the upper end of the size requirement and the finish is awesome. You can easily put it in a holster but after you try the belt clip once, you won't even want a holster.

Do some research on the CL1H. It's one of the most beloved lights around and I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned because it seems to be the only one that meets all of your requirements.

PS>>>> I'm not sure but as for your 6P rechargeable question, the 17650 Lithium Ion might fit but you'll be down to a lower voltage that will cause some slow dimming as the battery's voltage drops below the regulated threshold of many of the drop-ins. The drop-in plus the light exceeds your $$$ requirement anyway.

:welcome:

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Dereelight CL1H is another good option.

You'll know what batteries the drop-in can take by looking at the allowed voltage. 8.4v or more means it can use up to 2 Li-ion batteries.

Last edited:

Cray

Newly Enlightened
Is there any benefit/advantage in going with a Surefire 6p versus a G2 if I was interested in utilizing a Malkoff drop-in or BOG drop-in?

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there any benefit/advantage in going with a Surefire 6p versus a G2 if I was interested in utilizing a Malkoff drop-in or BOG drop-in?
the 6P is made of aluminium, and will act as a better heatsink for the LED drop in, which is very important.

I agree with yaesomofo, if youre gonna a 6P, get a surefire..

but ill be putting in a vote for the Tk10..:D because the money you save can later go into a C2....

Crenshaw

Cray

Newly Enlightened
Now I've got to ask a question that only a rookie could come up with.

If you were to take a stock Surefire 6P LED (at 80 lumens) and compare it with a Surefire 6P with a BOG Cree Premium Plus drop-in (at 170 lumens) would the difference be that noticeable? How about between a stock 6P LED and a Surefire 6P with a Malkoff M60 Mod drop-in (at 235 lumens)? Using a scale of 1 thru 10 with 1= huh? and 10 = an OMG moment.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
A surefire at 80 lumens is very bright. You may be surprised as their 100 lumen lights often hang with other manufacturers 150+ lumen lights. At 75 feet I'm pretty confident that any 60+ lumen surefire will do you well, even the floody L4. That said, for "OMG MY EYES!" brightness, 200+ lumens is where it's at.

Stainz

Enlightened
I cannot speak to the comparison between the 6P LED's output and that with a higher power aftermarket drop-in. I did try the T1 and the 6P LED at the same time. I chose the 6P LED, although the Fenix light was 'warmer' - and seemed a little brighter. I also ordered a Fenix '4 in 1' kit from the Fenix-Store. That's a special combo including the P2D Q5 Premium and a spare L1D battery holder, cap, holster, and switch, along with some other goodies.

I just liked the SF 6P's feel, runtime, and output. I grab it first at night. I know, with those disposable CR123s, it will work - or, in just seconds, new cells on board, it's back at full power. I liked it so much, I ordered a 6P from an evil-bay site to 'upgrade' - and ended buying a P60L for it, making it a 6P LED for now... when Surefire's own high power drop-in appears later this year - I may just get one. I carried a 6P LED in my pocket for an EDC for a while. Size wasn't a problem... there usually is protection in the other pocket.

The Fenix 'kit' allowed me to 'try' a high output Q5 Premium head - rated at over twice the output of the 6P LED - and on a single CR123. It will put out nearly as much with a single AA. I carry it, in one fashion or the other, on my belt now as an EDC, the 6P being in the car. The P2D configuration is neat - but too small for my hands to hold for extended periods. The 6P fits better - as does the T1. At an outdoor, actually poolside, auction last month, I retrieved the 6P as the sun fell below the horizon - no one had thrown the breakers, or knew where they were, so the outdoor lights were off. I loaned my P2D to the event director and I used the 6P LED - we were able to keep the buyers out of the pool - and get the display items to the buyers. I'd say they averted potential disaster - there was an open bar! Oddly, from across the olympic+ pool, I could see that super bright P2D - and illuminate some of the tables with my 6P LED from there as well. The P2D was in my pocket... I had to go to the Jeep for the 6P.

The Fenix 'kit' is ~$67 delivered - the SF 6P LED runs $85. My pair of 6Ps and the 'kit', all bought since Feb, are still on their original batteries, although I ordered a couple of dozen SF CR123s (I may get to test that shelf life!). Either way, you won't miss - both are great products. As a pocket/belt sheath/purse light, the P2D/L1D will always have a home. As an upgradeable, the 6P LED is great - not a bad first choice (Like they told me, there will be more...).

Stainz