What about Pelican LEDs?

oldblazer

Newly Enlightened
Hi one and all,

I've been reading this website for several years now and have learned a lot. Thanks for the "enlightenment." Rarely do I have much to say, but I've been stumped for a while.

I own different brands of flashlights (mostly AA and AAA type -- see my sig line) and can appreciate the various opinions pertaining to preferences/dislikes for each manufacturer. Without intending to start a flame war, please help me understand why Pelican lights are not as mainstream as brand xyz?

I own one MityLite 2xAAA (xenon) which works very well on NiMH cells for my EDC purposes (with a slightly modified spring for better contact) and have considered picking up a rechargeable Pelican 7060 LED for primary use in the shop as an aircraft mechanic (several other guys have Stingers which are great work lights). I've seen various Pelican models in metal and polymer that seem to be of good quality, comparable to brand xyz, but I'm still curious why Pelican products seem to be overlooked, except for the storage boxes or the donor lamps for ROP projects.

TIA
Jeff

PS -- Moderators, if this thread even starts to get flaming ugly please shut it down, that is not my intention.

warlord

Enlightened
Pelicans are used a lot in the fire service. They make great helmet lights with the optional clamps and run for a good amount of time. I would suppose that they're not terribly popular because they are practical but not easily moddable or particularly good looking.

I don't know that I'd prefer to EDC a plastic/resin light over a well made aluminum/metal one. Although I don't think I ever had a flashlight that wasn't yellow and resin in my turnout gear.

oldblazer

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Warlord.

I have a lot of friends with the local volunteer fire dept. Seems like almost every helmet, set of turnouts, or gear bag has a Pelican Sabre and/or ProPoly mounted, clipped, strapped, or otherwise attached.

I agree on the looks of Pelican lights, functional and not particularly outstanding. I guess I never thought about the mod factor but I would think that the 2300 series in aluminum would be moddable.

My resin MityLite is super light to carry in a shirt pocket and really useful to light up a dark storage container, under a desk, or inside an itty bitty part (with the help from the optional, clear plastic "Litebender"), not to mention that the switch allows it to be dunked in fluids (accidently) or safely activated inside a vapor filled room.

J.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think most pelcian lights are better used like u said for fireman but also are mainly used for diving. Until the 7060 came out they really didn't have a bright led light like many other light manufacturers.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pelican lights are overlooked because, except for the 7060, (great light btw - you'll love it) they use previous generation Luxeon emitters.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pelican lights are overlooked because, except for the 7060, (great light btw - you'll love it) they use previous generation Luxeon emitters.

+1

I really like pelican lights.... but they need (just like Underwater Kenetics) to update their lights. The 7060 is a great light though!

Matteblack

Newly Enlightened
oldblazer,

Some of us still hang on to older technology, that is for sure. I have roughly half a dozen or so of the 2AAA Mitylites, and I use them for everything. It is the one flashlight that I never really worry about damaging. I have abused the hell out of a couple of them ,yet they keep coming back for more. Great little light! On the other hand, you can never account for peoples tastes....my favorite two other lights are a Mclux PD and one of the cheap Garrity aluminum lights.

So use that Mitylite! Beat it and Flog it and make it feel cheap!

oldblazer

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone!! This is why I really like this place -- where else can a person find almost instant info with a great depth of knowledge about all things pertaining to focusing photons.

:twothumbs

I still haven't actually decided to purchase the 7060 (the Stinger LED still looks fairly attractive), but at least I feel I can make a better decision.

Again, many thanks.