JET-I MK. I.B.S. or NiteCore® Extreme

jalibass

Newly Enlightened
While breaking down these two lights I noticed that one cpf member's review of the Jet-I IBS had the Nitecore defender edging it out. By Edgetac's own admission the Nitecore Extreme will better the defender, so will the extreme be a no brainer over over the Jet-I IBS?

25 lumen, 20 minute run time and battery type differences aside, one thing that popped out was a color matched sapphire crystal lens vs an "Impact-resistant optical lens with Dual-Coating TM technique" for the Nitecore. Does anyone know that that means? Is it a piece of plastic with two layers of film on it?

I'm pretty much sold on the Nitecore but wanted to check with everyone to make sure I'm not missing something.

04orgZx6r

Enlightened
I am in the same boat as you. Personally I Like the Jet over the NDI, because of reliability issues and over all output, although the NDI looks amazing. I think the reviewer picked the NDI over the Jet, but that was just personal preference, He even said they were virtually even. Also the Jet can be bought for $20 less than the NDI. However, When you throw the Extreme in the equation It becomes a tougher call. I don't think I can wait for the extreme to come out and be tested so I think I will go with the Jet, maybe by the time I can get ahold of the extreme i will have enough cash to get it as well.

jalibass

Newly Enlightened
On Thursday the 24th, Greg Andersen at tadgear emailed me in response to my asking if I can prepay for the NiteCore Extreme and he said:

"Hi Jason,

The lights are now in stock and available for
sale.

-Greg"

I emailed him and told him I would take one with batteries and charger and have yet to hear back from him. Now I'm second guessing. Any one else with input?

04orgZx6r

Enlightened
I have to say that there is no way they have the Extremes in stock yet, knowing TAD's reputation I would say that he didn't read your e-mail close enough, and quoted you that the NDI was in stock.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm ... maybe he misunderstood you and thought you said Nitecore Defender Inifinity. From what I know, TadGear have been out of stock for a long time ... until this month. I thought the Nitecore Extreme is not going to come out until much later. :thinking: I want to pick one up just to put it on a Surefire E series light.

gilly

Enlightened
Don't own a Jetbeam so can't comment. I do own a Raidfire Spear and an NDI, both from Edge Tactical. VERY impressed with both - fit, finish, performance. No problems with either. For those who have had problems, Edge Tac seems to have really 'stepped up to the plate'. Looking forward to getting an Extreme as well when they become available.

Good luck with your decision!

smopoim86

Enlightened
I just got the Jet Beam today (my first non cheap light) and really like it. The programmable modes are very nice (all lights should implement this). The only issue i have with it is that the cheap trustfire 14500 from dx do not fit. Anything more than a mm longer than a normal AA will be too long. Other than that one gripe, it seems to be a very nice light.

jalibass

Newly Enlightened
The subject line said Nitecore Extreme and I said it again in the body of the email. Back to the lens... does anyone know what the " Impact-resistant optical lens with Dual-Coating TM technique" is? It doesn't sound all that solid.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there another thread on the NiteCore Extreme that I missed? I didn't know there was a new NiteCore coming?

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
NDI has simplier UI (2 modes), mode memory, better switch, more efficient circuit and nice transition from spot to spill (spot is most intensive in the center).

jalibass

Newly Enlightened
You were right, I just got an email from greg at tadgear and he only has the defender right now. How do you guys like the lenses on the spear & defender? Are they described the same way the extreme's is?