Alaska Experiment on Discovery Channel

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you get Discovery channel check this show out, the first episode was last week. It is on Tuesday nights and looks like it may be very interesting. Perhaps, just perhaps it might be on of the better of the survival "reality" shows. It is designed and ran by a bushpilot/survival expert and they are watched, but not tampered with unless it is to save them.

There are 4 groups and they are pretty interesting, to say the least. Each group was dropped off last week, given a map and compass and had to travel to a predetermined camp where they will spend 3 months. Each camp has a small amount of food, a wood stove, cook gear, fishing gear, and a rifle by the sounds of it. The group will have to make their furniture/acouterments it sounds like. They WILL have to hunt and fish to subside, the food given is only emergency short term stuff. Each camp looks to be a one room afair at best.

1. Is a married couple, the wife is an adventure racer, they had the longest trek to their abandoned trappers cabin. It took them all day and until the next day to traverse the 10 mile overland hike to the abandoned trapper cabin. This couple has possiblities, in part because of her racing/outdoors experience.

2. Second married couple, they had to kayak through a glacier bay 6 miles to their wall tent camp. It took them until the next day also. This group might do well, he KNOWS that he has a LOT of work to do gathering food, and learning, and has a healthy respect for wildlife.

3. A father and his 2 daughters. They had a 4 mile hike to a cabin. This group is going to implode quickly. The girls are eating the food like it is endless, the father is helpless for fishing so far, he cut his line with a big salmon on the hook, thinking it got caught on a drag. They are going stir crazy and screaming at each other already, the one daughter was going nuts over how the direction the toes of her fathers boots were pointed when stored under a card table.

4. 3 techies from California I think it was. 2 men one woman. They had a 4 mile hike, straight and easy and it took them almost two complete days to make the trip, then they cut across a march area instead of skirting it for safety justbecause they could see the cabin. The first thing upon entering the cabin was, where is the bathroom.

The previews showed one group hunting with a rifle, so it will be interesting I think.

flashlite

Enlightened
I'm already hooked. I think I'll be rooting for group #1 above.

It should be real interesting. It looks like they gave them a few supplies but didn't bother to tell them how to used them (e.g. map and compass).

e2x2e

Enlightened
Haha :) I think #2 is going to do well. Can these be watched online?

nbp

Flashaholic
Glad someone started a thread on this, I didn't think of doing that. I did see the first episode and am really looking forward to seeing how things go. I like the two couples as well and think they have the best chances. I'm glad though, that they put the crazy girls/dad group in as well for comic relief :crackup:. "MMMMM Peanut Butter"...:shakehead

Burgess

Flashaholic
To Marduke --

Wow, that link works Great ! ! !

Thank you to everyone for this thread !

Very interesting stuff here.

:twothumbs

( especially for an "armchair explorer" like myself )

_

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast
watched my first episode tonight, awesome stuff! I was hooked while the Guy was treking up the mountain to shoot one of those goats....crazy!

Mayo

nbp

Flashaholic
This show keeps getting better! The guy whos 40 lbs overweight has to climb a flipping mountain to shoot a goat, and the other group has to cut and split 5 tons of wood for winter. Five tons! With a two man hand saw! And all the while the father and daughters are ready to use the axe on each other...priceless. I'm hooked, thank goodness for DVR, ensuring I dont miss one moment of this highly entertaining adventure. :popcorn:

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
I left when the couple were hand grabbing salmon and then putting them in their landing net when they could have just caught them in the net.

Remember guys, all these "reality" survival show are pure entertainment. They have very little to do with real survival skills and knowledge. But if you like them, then it's entertainment that takes place in some wonderful places.

Last edited:

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I got the most entertainment from those dumb-a**es that screwed up in canning thier salmon and lost half their stock. That mistake should prove interesting in another month or so.

e2x2e

Enlightened
I left when the couple were hand grabbing salmon and then putting them in their landing net when they could have just caught them in the net.

Remember guys, all these "reality" survival show are pure entertainment. They have very little to do with real survival skills and knowledge. But if you like them, then it's entertainment that takes place in some wonderful places.

Correct...one thing they are really lacking is the STOP principle...(Stop Think Observe Plan). They waste SO much energy and don't think or plan too much. But it's entertaining.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I am interested in seeing is, if they actually learn anything from the not insignificant mistakes they are making. All of the things for survival are there, including their brain, the most important tool. I am hoping to see at least one group actually learn from their mistakes and inadequacies, and apply the lessons learned, that is after all, how our ancestors survived. Or are they too immersed in modern living to be able to learn old lessons.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I enjoyed the guys cutting the wood. They obviously were showed how to fell a tree in their survival 101 briefing prior to the show, but they totally screwed it up by forgetting a lot of the technique. Two horizontal face cuts?? :shrug: :ohgeez: