A2 Incoming, Got A Question

Shurock

Newly Enlightened
Hi:

I have a Surefire A2 on its way.

I was wondering whether I could run rechargeable batteries, and if so how high of a voltage, without negatively affecting the LED option? E.g, can I run 2 x 3.7's from AW or any of AWs other higher output rechargables?

Also, if I drop in a 120 bulb from lighthound for the main lamp, can you still use the LED function normally?

Thanks.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Lumens Factory 120 lumen A2 bulb will not take RCR123s. It is stated as a 6 volt bulb, 7.2 volts would be too much.

Also, I have no idea how the LF bulb interfaces with the regulator circuit, or whether it bypasses it completely. I would assume that the LEDs should work as normal. LF should realise that the LEDs are important.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
People have had mixed results running the A2 on rechargeables. Some have had no problems at all, whereas other have almost instantly ruined the LEDs. Regardless, the LEDs are definitely the problem at higher voltages.

Regards,
Tempest

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
The A2 is voltage regulated, so using a RCR123A shouldn't have any impact on the new LF lamp. Some people have been using rechargeables in the A2 without problems. But you will be overdriving the LEDs a little bit.The overdriving has the least impact on the red LED version. There might be a new LED ring coming from a CPF member, this could solve the problem with overdriving.
The biggest problem is to find rechargeables that fit inside the A2, most of the AW protected cells don't fit. Someone said that unprotected Powerizer batteries fit?
I have never tried rechargeables in my A2.

Last edited:

Shurock

Newly Enlightened
As always, you guys are great. Will stick with regular 123s.

From which CPF dealer should I get the new LF 120 bulb?

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lighthound has them in stock. I'd wait for reviews first though, these lamps are pretty new. I can't see much difference in output in the first beamshots, but I am waiting for outdoor beamshots. Mark from Lumens Factory said he is probably going to do the same lamp but not frosted = even more output (some rings at close distance, but the A2 is not ment for wall hunting).

Shurock

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, Daniel.

Lighthound has them in stock. I'd wait for reviews first though, these lamps are pretty new. I can't see much difference in output in the first beamshots, but I am waiting for outdoor beamshots. Mark from Lumens Factory said he is probably going to do the same lamp but not frosted = even more output (some rings at close distance, but the A2 is not ment for wall hunting).