A short appreciation of the iconic Citroen ...

cmeisenzahl

Enlightened
Charles Bremner - Times Online - WBLG: France celebrates its little old Citroen
"Since it's spring in Paris and I'm taking a few days off, let me indulge in some four-wheeled nostalgia. You see it in the picture -- the Citroen Deux Chevaux. It's 60 years since the rustic, quirky "deudeuche" was offered to an initially unimpressed public and it's 18 years since the last of five million left the assembly line. You don't see many around any more but the intrepid little 2CV is the object of fond memory for anyone lived those decades. If you're one of them and around Paris, it's worth a visit to the show that the Cité des Sciences has just opened in homage to the little car."
http://timescorrespondents.typepad.com/charles_bremner/2008/04/post-2.html

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Google "2CV rally" and among other things you'll find a site for:

A 2CV set up for an African "rally raid"

Photos of 2CV's built for the race track

2CV's doing the rock climbing rally thing

These were (are) durable and versatile cars with a lot of character.

Now, was it "Traffic" with Jacque Tati that had a great scene in a traffic jam and how all the drivers and passengers take on the character of their cars? Great comedy and you don't hear anyone speak a word during the scene. The old man in the 2CV is wonderful.

This thread will be totally lost on the Lexus/Escalade/M-Series Bimmer crowd, but if you ever had a VW Bug with an air cooled engine, you can just begin to appreciate how many good memories a 2CV can provide.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I was a kid, my mom told me about how her father had a Citroen. This was in Vietnam in the mid 1960s. They called it a "Catfish car" for some reason. My mom's younger brother ended up wrecking it when it was still brand new.