Ochone! Japanese whisky is voted the best in world ...

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. I've enjoyed Japanese whiskies and felt that even the younger variants of some distillers was showing the refinement of older aged ones. Congrats to them. :)

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, interesting. I've got unopened bottles of whisky(key) that have been lying around the house for a looong time. They're probably no longer any good.

12-year old Suntory "Yamazaki" and 15-year old Karuizawa, plus several bottles of 17-year old Ballantine's and I think a couple of others. IIRC, the Ballantine's has been collecting dust for more than 15 years, which would make it 30-plus years old now...!

What's so good about this stuff?

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
So they also must be mixing beer into the whisky

Mmmm boilermakers.:drunk:

Actually when I was a college student I had a prematurely developed taste for good beer. Unfortunately my wallet preferred whatever yellowish, macro-brewed, watery substance called beer was on special. I did some mixing of my own to split the difference. A half shot of the cheap well whiskey added to a so called beer gave a nice little flavor boost.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will stick with Knob Creek and Buffalo Trace. I never "acquired" the taste for Scotch. Nor anything else one has to acquire a taste for. :nana:

Although I do like some of the names; Pig's Snout, Sheep Dip.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
There was a nice dark beer, Sapporo Black, I used to get at Trader Joe's and Safeway. Haven't seen it around lately.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
NA8, what part of the country do you live in? I believe I can still pick up Sapporo at my local Lucky. I'm in Northern California, btw.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in Frisco. We've got Sapporo, but not Sapporo Black.

Flash Harry

Newly Enlightened
Twenty years ago, I was in the enviable position of being the Beverage Manager of a five Star Hotel. The job really bit the big one but there were some perks: I developed a taste for Bollingers R.D., Penfolds Reds and Suntory Signature.

The last one is now out of my budget but I remember doing a taste test with every whisky of it's type we could get and it won hands down. It's not going to be for everyone but it's really that good.

Cheers :drunk:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in Frisco. We've got Sapporo, but not Sapporo Black.

I believe they carry it at Nijiya or Uoki in Japantown, give 'em a try. If not then there are quite a few stores on the peninsula, and San Jose if you want to go on a stretch.

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I enjoy wine, food, cigars, microbrews, single origin espresso, and whiskies. Matter of fact the restaurant scene in NY is one of the few reasons I still live in this insanely expensive town.

However, I hate when food or drinks a rated "The Best in the world". We are talking about taste and everybody has different preferences. I will take a Domincan cigar over a Cuban, Australian wine over California, Guatamala espresso over Kona, Bourbon over Scotch. As a matter of fact even though some scotch are one of the highest rated whiskies I do not care for it at all.

Not to take anything away from Japanese whisky, because those guys are hardcore as the Scottish, American, Canadian, Irish counterparts.

I just wish there was more awareness of finding your personal taste preference and finding the best origin or estate for you. Rather than people going out buying something because it was rated the "Worlds Best" and is more for status than enjoyment.

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry about the rant, Its 10AM and I still did not have my coffee. I guess I will go start up my espresso machine

IMG_0008.JPG

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Few words can only begin to describe this picture... tub**** for one.:sick2:

Maybe, but if your coffee does not look like guiness beer in your cup, I assure you after drinking this you will realize that the coffee you have been drinking is stale and tastes like tub****:sick2:

espressopour3.jpg

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe, but if your coffee does not look like guiness beer in your cup, I assure you after drinking this you will realize that the coffee you have been drinking is stale and tastes like tub****:sick2:

I wasn't commenting on the flavor, just the way the pic looked. IOW I was just joking.:laughing::kiss:

Last edited:

Latest posts