E2DL - Quick Reivew, with Beamshots

seattlite

Enlightened
I just got my single stage E2DL head yesterday. I took some quick lightbox/meter reading and this is what I got:

E2DL-2.jpg

I'm a little disappointed in the 1xRCR123 tests. I was hoping for something to replace my EDC Novatac 120P with something that has a little higher output, but from the charts they are about the same. Feeding the E2DL head with 2xCR123's/2xRCR123's is where this light shines.

The hotspot is much brighter than a P3D/P2D and the Novatac at a distance of about 60 feet. I really like the E2DL optics compared with the older Lux III KL1 optics.

I also ran the head with 2xRCR123's and they work, but I didn't take a lightbox/lightmeter reading.

1M Measurements:
E2DL-3.jpg

BEAMSHOTS:
E2DL/2xRCR123
IMG_2249_E2DL.jpg

Novatac 120P/1xRCR123
IMG_2250_Novatac_120P.jpg

P3D_Rebel100/2xRCR123
IMG_2251_P3D_Rebel100.jpg

LunaSol/1xRCR123
IMG_2252_LunaSol.jpg

MTE P7/1x18650
IMG_2253_MTE_P7.jpg

Insight(Gladius Clone) S-P4/2xCR123
IMG_2254_Insight_P4.jpg

U2/1x18650
IMG_2255_U2_Lev6.jpg

SF M6-R(JS Regulated Battery Pack)/MN21
IMG_2256_M6R-MN21-.jpg

Microfire Warrior II
IMG_2257_Microfire_WarriorII.jpg

KT4/Tower Module/XX1S/2xCR123
IMG_2258_KT4-TM-XX1S.jpg

A2
IMG_2259_A2.jpg

Error E2L(L2 Head)/2xRCR123 Direct Drive
IMG_2260_Error-E2L.jpg

Last edited:

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: E2DL - Quick Reivew

Whats the tint like?

Is it green like alot of the KX2s out there?

Thanks in advance.

seattlite

Enlightened

I'll take a 2xRCR123 reading later today. Unfortunately I don't have any 17670 cells, but I figure that performance should be similar to 1xRCR123.

Nathan

Enlightened

Whats the tint like?

Is it green like alot of the KX2s out there?

Thanks in advance.

Mine is nice and white, especially compared to my greenish KX2A (single mode). But I'm not sure if I got lucky or the tints are improving on the E2DL's.

curlyfry562

Enlightened

Do we know if any of new E2DLs are dual mode, or is it just a few that are "faulty"?

Thanks for the review, and could you post some pics.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thank you for the information! I've been waiting on numbers on this new head since the 2008 catalog came out.

I'm not quite sure by the way you worded it... this is lightbox reading, not lux, right?

If it is, you may want to try other setups to be sure your results aren't skewed for throwers (I'm not suggesting they look skewed). I don't know how much experience you have at this, so forgive me if this is obvious to you already, but a larger box and less direct light will more accurately estimate total lumen output.

seattlite

Enlightened

Thank you for the information! I've been waiting on numbers on this new head since the 2008 catalog came out.

I'm not quite sure by the way you worded it... this is lightbox reading, not lux, right?

If it is, you may want to try other setups to be sure your results aren't skewed for throwers (I'm not suggesting they look skewed). I don't know how much experience you have at this, so forgive me if this is obvious to you already, but a larger box and less direct light will more accurately estimate total lumen output.

Yeah, I've been meaning to revise my lightbox setup to put in a baffle. But, I did confirm the relative brightness of these lights by doing the qualitative ceiling bounce test. These numbers are by no means scientifically accurate, and it just gives me a quick and dirty way of confirming my qualitative observations. I guess the takeaway from the chart is the relative light output comparisons and not the calculated lumens.

could I trouble you for a lux@1 meter reading? Thanks!
I've added the 1M readings to my original post.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
seattlite, "Quick Review" is not true. Great review with very well done beamshots and output charts is more accurate! Thanks for the great review. I was going to pass on the single output version of this light. After seeing your review, I had to jump to Batteryjunction and order one while they still had them. Thanks again... and nice light collection!

I bought the incan version a year or two ago, but was underwhelmed by its output. I do not think I will have that problem with this light based on your pics. I did like the fact that the rear switch is protected and the light will tail stand as well. I do with they would have put the bigger e series clip on the light, but oh well. I cannot wait to get it. Thanks again!

Latest posts