Scam? "Get Paid Driving" - any opinions?

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Scam? \"Get Paid Driving\" - any opinions?

OK, I may be a sucker, but I have gotten some spam advertising information about sponsorship programs where certain companies want to cover your car with advertising and pay you to drive. They may even give you the car to drive. It sounds almost too good to be true, which usually means it is, but this almost makes sense to me. Does anybody know whether this is a scam or a good thing? What the catch is? Would a normal 15K miles per year be enough driving to qualify? You have to pay like $25 to get all the details needed to apply for any of "numerous" programs like this. The site is at www.getpaiddriving.com

I hesitate to post the address because I am certainly not promoting it. I just thought somebody might be able to warn me off before I waste my money to find out it really is too good to be true.

And thanks.

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Scam?

No phone number, no address, asks for money up front /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

Empath

Flashaholic

The fact that it's spam is enough reason to avoid it. Everyone that patronizes a spammer adds to the problem.

A side point. Not all spam ads are as they seem. If they offer a good deal, they may just be fishing for responders. In turn they compile a list of "suckers" that respond favorably to spam. These lists are the highest priced and most valued listings the list sellers offer to the other spammers.

There are no good deals offered through spam.

Bill.H

Enlightened

Uhhhh... Empath already said all the things I was gonna say...

So, me too - what he said.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

If they advertise via spam then you already know all you need to know about the company. Anything you do for them, they will take advantage of you at every opportunity. They have already shown you that they have no morals or common sense by sending spam. Don't get involved with a company that doesn't have the sense NOT to advertise in this way.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

You eat Spam, not spam they are 2 very different things /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Be careful, I might try to scam you out of your Spam, but you can keep your spam...

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Empath said:A side point. Not all spam ads are as they seem. If they offer a good deal, they may just be fishing for responders. In turn they compile a list of "suckers" that respond favorably to spam. These lists are the highest priced and most valued listings the list sellers offer to the other spammers.

[/ QUOTE ]

That answers a question I always had about spam; as to just why they do it- do they actually get people responding who want to enlarge their various body parts by 8 inches or copy DVD's? I suppose most of the spam is just those guys fishing for live wires to add to their list rather than someone actually trying to "sell" something.
Even then, that would still mean there's SOME that do try to sell that way, as feckless as that seems. The most I see of them is the header before it gets deleted, so I'll never know for sure.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I used to use Spamcop before I eventually got too many spam emails to deal with. Mailwasher, a program you install on your pee-cee, can deal with spam by sending back phoney bounce messages, but it somehow stopped working on my computer while I was away, so I don't screw with that anymore either. I also had some filters on my inbox that intercepted various phrases like "***** enlargement", "free money", and "HGH" but they quit working too.

I tend to NOT deal with companies that resort to sending spam to bolster sales; I figure that's the least I can do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

SpamAssassin Baby! Oh Yea! My ISP installed it on my mail server 3 days ago. 340 some odd spam emails filtered in 3 days, only 1 got through and no false positives.

WOOO!

PeterM

Newly Enlightened

I don't know about the specific ad program you read in the spam email, but there are legitimate ad companies that do that sort of thing. I've seen them around here. People with ad wheel covers, large magnetic signs, etc. If you are interested in something like that, try the yellow pages or directories of ad companies. Legitimate companies that do this sort of thing really do exist but I don't know how much they really pay you for turning your car into a billboard.

PieThatCorner

Enlightened

Oh damn... before clicking on this thread, I was hoping that someone was willing to pay me for driving through rush hour traffic... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for all the replies. I have done a little research on the consumer advocate site at ClarkHoward.com and have come to the same conclusion expressed here.

Basically it is a ripoff to pay for the information advertised. There definitely are some legitimate programs like this, but these are extremely limited in scope. It is possible, but very unlikely that anyone trying to get involved would be successful, and there are a variety of contractual catches for those who do.

Essentially it is hype. There is no free lunch. Thanks for the replies.

Latest posts