Fenix flashlight for nurse, which one?

brucered

Newly Enlightened
just found this board and i did some reading, so i though i would join.

i'm looking to buy my wife a new flashlight and did a bit of research. the fenix seems to be a well respected line at a good price. we are switching over to LED from our old maglites. i dont' mind spending the $50-60 for one.

i was looking at getting her the L1D Q5 or the P2D Q5. the online salesperson suggested the L1D for cheaper and more readily available batteries and normal setting on it would be bright enough. but what do you guys think?

the P2D is brighter, shorter, same diameter and same price. i'm guessing the batteries last quite a while in them, right.? i would like a AAA size with a push button and pen clip, but i don't think any of them have that.

- Fenix P2D Q5
180 Lum​
CR123A​
- Fenix L1D Q5
120 Lum​
AA​

if she likes here, i'll be adding the Fenix TK10 to my xmas list.

thought, opinion, suggestions, alternatives?

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have alot of Cr123As lying around, or are readily availble? if not, go with the L1D, nothing worse then running out of battery, and not having a repalcement. the difference between 120 and 180 lumens isnt really noticable in real usage.

oh and welcome! :) hang on to your wallet.

Crenshaw

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me the battery is the main factor. So I suggest the L1D if you decide between the two.

I have the L2D and most of the time I do not use the turbo mode (180 lumens) and use it on low or medium (12 / 53 lumens), and even on high (107 lumens) it's a bit too bright for most situations.

linterno

Enlightened
A nurse will probably use the L1D in low mode most of the time. Considering this low light usage for a nurse Fenix E01 would be a good option too. You could give her both so she can decide which one to use.

Juan C.

brucered

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the input everyone, looks like it's the 1LD as the salesperson suggested. sometimes i wonder about saleserson's suggestions, but i guess they were actually helpfull this time.

and yes, i'd love to give her both, but that's $120, and i'm thinking of it as a gift, so i kind of have to make the decision for her. but like someone else said, we always have good quality AA alkaline batteries around the house (usually 48 or so) and would have to go out every time we needed a CR123. too bad i quite working at the battery wholesaler a few years ago.

i like the 1AAA size (E0), but it's a twist switch and i'm thinking the 1 handed operation of being able to turn it on with her thumb would be helpful.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The one downside about LEDs is their different color spectrum curve (right thermology?). She might not be used to it at first.

The L1D might work, if she doesn't like it, it should still come in useful.

Fenix Store is also a good place to shop, 8% off coupon is "CPF8". Fenix Tactical is also a good store.

:welcome:

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
Sounds like you made the right decision for her application.

My wife is also a nurse, though she's been in management for a few years now. But she still has to pull a shift now and then when she can't get anyone else to cover a call-off, etc. I've given her a few lights and insist she at least keeps one in her lab coat. The other night, she discovered a patient unresponsive in a dark room (middle of the night) and was too far away from the wallswitch to reach it quickly. She pulled out her P2D and was able to assess the situation while waiting for help to come (they turned on the room light as they entered).

Voila - a new believer! BTW, the patient was OK.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am an OR nurse now but I used to work in the ICU and various other units and I found that a low low like 2-5 lumens was very useful on night shift for checking on patients. It was just enough light to move around and not disturb them. The E0 was good because it hung around my neck with my ID and if I neede hands free is was light enough to mouth hold and/or dangle from my neck. The E01 is supposed to be brighter but it would still make a good back up for her. She may even use it more over the L1D due to the simple, small one stage form factor. With regard to the twistie vs clickie I never encountered any situation where I needed one over the other. Tell us how she ends up using/liking what you get her.

HKJ

Flashaholic
The Fenix light are very good and depending on what your want the each have some good and some bad sides. For a simple universal flashlight with common batteries, the L1D is very good.

But another very good light is the LiteFlux LF2X, it has two easy accessible levels and the light is very small. BUT your must expect a bit of work when programming it, one way to illustrate it is: :hairpull:

It includes a neck chain and a clip.

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new Fenix E01 is a great second light for her. It has 10 lumen brightness...not enough to disturb a sleeping patient, but enough to still see in a dark room. Smooth, easy to turn one handed front head. Not a rear , but a front twisty. 1 AAA last for hours and hours.

linterno

Enlightened
The new Fenix E01 is a great second light for her. It has 10 lumen brightness...not enough to disturb a sleeping patient, but enough to still see in a dark room. Smooth, easy to turn one handed front head. Not a rear , but a front twisty. 1 AAA last for hours and hours.
Yes, and is it just $ 13.80 with "CPF8" discount coupon at http://www.fenix-store.com.

wsmd

Newly Enlightened
A Fenix L0D CE Q4 powered by a low-self discharge rechargeable cell (like an Eneloop or Rayovac Hybrid) hanging on a neck lanyard is another option. It has 3 output levels and allows convenient hands-free use.

Agree 100% with PhotonBoy. Why carry anything bigger than a Fenix L0D CE Q4?

HeadCSO

Enlightened
For a small easy to carry light, The L0D Q4 is good.

If she can carry something a little bigger, I would go with an L1T V2 Cree Q2. Offers a low and high mode via loosening or tightening the bezel and on/off via a rear forward clickie switch. Much easier to operate in a stress situation. Low mode will be sufficient for 99% of the time, with the easily accessible high mode ready for emergencies such as a power outage etc.

gilly

Enlightened
The L1D or L1T V2.0 would be great choices. I gave my wife an L0D that she keeps in her purse. Great little light - could be worn around the neck as another poster suggested. Definitely consider the E01 as well - people always overestimate the amount of light they actually need.

Highly recommend Fenix Store. They are all about customer service and have an AWESOME warranty on their lights - check it out:

https://www.fenix-store.com/information.php?info_id=2

scroll down and read about the lifetime warranty - now that's something!

Good luck and welcome to CPF!

brucered

Newly Enlightened
per a few other suggestions above, i'm SERIOUSLY considering the Fenix L1T V2.0 Q2 Black for it's simplicity and size as she does NOT want a strobe function, just in case the turns it on and wakes up a kid (children's hospital). i know it's a little bigger than the LOD Q4 (AAA), but it doesn't have to be keychain small, she keeps it in her pocket, and we're swtiching over from the 2AA mag, so it's still small than that.

https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_69_50&products_id=334

i notice the canadian site (fenixtactial) does not have the L1T V2.0 Q2, so i guess i'll order that one from the US sties (fenix-store), too bad the canadian site (fenixtactical) doesn't carry it, because i talked someone there into throwing in a few free accessories for me. oh well, i'd rather get the best flashlight for the buck, plus i can use the 8% off code and it's free shipping.

i'll probably preorder an E01 Orange just for fun and get a pocket clip for it, and that way she can use the larger AA size or the smaller AAA size with pocket clip. again, the canadian site (fenixtactical) only carries the older model E0, but i'd rather have the newer more bright E01. hopefully, next week they don't introduce the E02, or i'll have to buy that one too.

i should have never joined this stupid site. :eek: i'm gonna end up with a dozen flashlights in less than a month. i'm already looking at which one i want for xmas. i'm thinking the T1 Tactical in Olive. but i'll post questions about that suggestion closer to xmas.

Last edited:

lumenlover2

Newly Enlightened
Hm, almost everyone suggested the Fenix LOD which made me wonder if they read the whole thread... He said he would need one with klick switch NOT a twisty for obvious reasons.

Now to the suggestions, I have both L1d and P2d, P2d is much brighter then the L1d... outdoors! Now for a nurse and the more close up applications she wouldn`t even need the turbo of the L1d although nice to have anyway;).
Thinking of that the flashlight has to be easily accessed a nice pocketclip would come to mind as for carrying it in her breastpocket next to a pencil. Plus s smooth outside totally non tactical of course. That would be perfect I think. Ok only light I know of with these features and that also looks pretty nice with a (hopefully consitant) tint seems to be the new Wolfeyes Angel. If not AA format there are some lights with these features in aaa format but i find them rather flimsy. The AA type is just right in my opinion.
So look at the wolfeyes angel thread.:twothumbs

brucered

Newly Enlightened
Hi brucered. Welcome to CPF. The other Canadian seller still has a few L1T with Rb80 in stock. This is the same light but with a Rebel 80 emitter. Nice tint to these and more natural colour rendition. Here's the link:
http://www.j2ledflashlight.com/fenix-l1t-v2.html
The also have retail locations if you are in the GTA or Calgary.

i wish the Fenix AA size accepted a pocket clip, there would be no debate then.

i'd have to order it, but is it worth the extra $6 to get it with a REBEL emitter?