Your vote for the definitive 1AA EDC light (price is no object, within reason)

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok gents, I've read this thread like a dozen times and am no closer to deciding which one to order first as a 1AA EDC.

I've also read almost every other thread on the 1AA lights and have not found a clear answer as of yet.

I want a 1AA light because AAs are dirty cheap and easily found. I also have a boatload of Eneloops from CostCo (I bought about a dozen Eneloops packs around $20 each when they were on sale).

I want flood and throw, but if I had to choose, I'd choose flood because in most situations I want to see as much as possible in front of me. Throw is of course very nice but I use flood more I reckon.

So far I've got 3 candidates: NDI, Fenix L1D, and JetBeam Jet-I MK IBS. The Olight T-15 is a possibility since it is cheaper but it's also a bit bulkier as well.

NDI is tops but concerns are vendor reliability and higher cost. L1D is a known quantity since I have the L2D and it's a bit cheaper than the NDI. Still a bit confused about the JetBeam Jet-I MK IBS (since there are name changes and way too many abbreviations in the damn name for me to track so not sure if I'm looking at the same light in all the reviews - why can't manufacturers stick to easy names to represent their lights instead of all this mumbo jumo naming?).

Anyway, I've been ready to pull the trigger for some time now, but am still very confused about which light(s) to buy. I will at least buy 2 in the near term, but want the One to buy right now.

Need your help since I still feel very confused.

PS - feel free to suggest other AA lights as I may not have considered all the relevant/ good lights out there. Please state why you recommend it and any pros and cons.

Thanks all.

Centropolis

Enlightened
Ok gents, I've read this thread like a dozen times and am no closer to deciding which one to order first as a 1AA EDC.

I've also read almost every other thread on the 1AA lights and have not found a clear answer as of yet.

I want a 1AA light because AAs are dirty cheap and easily found. I also have a boatload of Eneloops from CostCo (I bought about a dozen Eneloops packs around $20 each when they were on sale).

I want flood and throw, but if I had to choose, I'd choose flood because in most situations I want to see as much as possible in front of me. Throw is of course very nice but I use flood more I reckon.

So far I've got 3 candidates: NDI, Fenix L1D, and JetBeam Jet-I MK IBS. The Olight T-15 is a possibility since it is cheaper but it's also a bit bulkier as well.

NDI is tops but concerns are vendor reliability and higher cost. L1D is a known quantity since I have the L2D and it's a bit cheaper than the NDI. Still a bit confused about the JetBeam Jet-I MK IBS (since there are name changes and way too many abbreviations in the damn name for me to track so not sure if I'm looking at the same light in all the reviews - why can't manufacturers stick to easy names to represent their lights instead of all this mumbo jumo naming?).

Anyway, I've been ready to pull the trigger for some time now, but am still very confused about which light(s) to buy. I will at least buy 2 in the near term, but want the One to buy right now.

Need your help since I still feel very confused.

PS - feel free to suggest other AA lights as I may not have considered all the relevant/ good lights out there. Please state why you recommend it and any pros and cons.

Thanks all.

Since you only want to use AAs and not 14500 as well, I would say the L1D would be a better choice for you. Simple and good runtimes compared to the other two you mentioned. Also no complicated (and I use this term relative to the L1D) UI. Very decent output on the L1D.

Note, the L1D can take one 14500 but you'll lose all other modes except for max (turbo).

FsTop

Enlightened
The Jet-1, at least, has a very concentrated hotspot. It's not the right light for reading the menu in a dimly-lit restaurant - not very floody.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. Thanks for the replies so far.

The L1D seems great, except it's low is not that low.

Also, there's that pesky issue of OP vs smooth reflectors. I think I've decided on OP since I want flood, but with all of these choices and options, even if you spend all your time on CPF you can still be confused about what to buy!

m2usa

Newly Enlightened
Heh...it seems like this is a common request out there. I have an NDI as my EDC, and thankfully, I haven't had any issues with it. The low is pretty low and is great for getting around the house late at night without blowing your night vision, and the performance on Eneloops is very good and regulated well. Since you have so many Eneloops, this might be a good place to start. I've only just started using 14500s in mine, but the performance with the Eneloops was very good. The UI is extremely easy - two options - one user, and either High or Strobe. I've never gotten strobe when I didn't want it. I do like the forward clickie.

The Jetbeam Mk-I IBS sounds like a nice light too, and it has amazing performance on High. So you probably can't go too wrong with that choice either. Very firm reverse clickie may be the reason why I may not get it.

Good luck with your choice!

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
My vote is for Nitecore. Although I wouldn't depend my life on it if I need a survive light in a deserted island, but it would be a great EDC light. Better than the L1D imo.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Don't forget to throw in the ZebraLight H50 Q5 for pure flood.

Ok, I love my NDI, but I do have a few thoughts about it compared to something more "mundane" like the L1D.

1) I love the texture and body styling. It gives places to hold onto nicely without making the light fat or catch on a holster. However, I could do without the sharp bezel. Scalloped I would be fine with, but why does a 1xAA have to be so sharp? I don't like to leave it loose in a pocket for that reason (ouch!!)

2) Infinite brightness settings is really nice to have, but 99% of the time I find I keep the user defined mode set to minimum, and use turbo when I want more. That's it, just those two settings. Once in a blue moon I'll use the strobe to coordinate with someone else across a crowded area. That range of infinite brightness goes generally unused.

3) The forward clicky is nice, but I would prefer something with a more robust feel, even if it's a reverse clicky. The switch has never let me down, but I would still prefer it to be "beefier" and stiffer.

My NDI was a gift from my wife out of the initial 500. She saw me waiting up all night long to try and win a free one. To this day I don't know what (if anything) she paid for it.

But if I wanted to buy another "nice" 1xAA right now, given the price point vs features vs availability vs customer service (Edgetac/TAD vs Fenix-Store), I would put my money down on a Olive L1D Q5 (with textured reflector).

Why? Because that's what my gut tells me.

ThatGuyBri

Newly Enlightened
Since you already have a L2D, buy the L1D body. The L2D and L1D heads are the same.

paulr

Flashaholic
For your requirements, consider an LRI Proton original version (not the pro), the one with six 5mm leds which made a good flood beam.

Really when you say "price is no object" the answer is obvious: buy them all, figure out from that what you like.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the NDI and it is a nice light. It can run nice on an NiMh if you back off from full power just a bit. It actually has pretty good efficiency when run at lower output levels.

But there is a new AA light on the scene which you may want to consider. It is the Wolfeyes Angel. Looks to be prety nice. It is a bit costly though at about $99.

fresnorich

Newly Enlightened
Since you already have a L2D, buy the L1D body. The L2D and L1D heads are the same.

My thoughts exactly. Or if you really want another separate light, get the L1D and know that if you somehow destroy one of the heads, you still have a functioning set.

marcdilnutt

Enlightened
I am in the same boat as you. I want a 1aa light, forward clicky and a VERY low low setting. I think this only leaves me the NDI. Does the NDI turn on only at high setting, or can you make it start on low? Is it possible to fit a Jetbeam with a forward clicky, because that would make it perfect for me.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the NDI turn on only at high setting, or can you make it start on low?

If you leave the head tight NDI will start at 100% level while if you leave it loose by 1/4 turn it will start at the memorized level, in this case = low.

BTW I also vote for the NDI because 'a really low low' is a subjective matter and only if you can adjust it yourself you can have the one you really need. With the NDI user adjustable mode set at its minimum you can look directly at the LED which can not be said of all minimum levels of other lights.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote for L1D-best LED. Good balance of output, simplicity, features, reliability (and yes...cost). If cost were no object, I'd have someone machine me up one in titanium with a platinum head, gold pill, and coated sapphire lens.

But the regular one is close enough...

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote for L1D-best LED. Good balance of output, simplicity, features, reliability (and yes...cost). If cost were no object, I'd have someone machine me up one in titanium with a platinum head, gold pill, and coated sapphire lens.

But the regular one is close enough...

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy the NDI. Its a great light. There is not a better light with its features and form factor. I have not had any issues with mine, although the tailswitch is more spongy then I like. (According to Edge Tac, they are working on finding a different supplier of switches, and eventually that switch can be replaced with an improved one should you want.)

Finally, if you a true CPFer, don't lose sleep trying to make up your mind over such small decisions. You are better off buying the L1D body as well, although I doubt you will be carrying the L1D around as much as the NDI. When you think of what it just cost to fill your car's gas tank, an extra light or two is a trivial expense.

Last edited:

john46268

Newly Enlightened
The JetBeam MKII.R is still available and is quite easy to use in simple mode. It also has memory when used in simple mode. Easy to use and has almost every feature known to man. It also takes advantage of your Eneloops. Give it a thought.

Happy shopping! :candle:

Edit: I also own the MKI.IBS but EDC the MKII.R because of the extra modes and the better runtime curves for Nimh batteries. Personal preference I guess.

Last edited: