ASP taclite beam adjustment

Karpaasi

Newly Enlightened
When I use tight focus the beam shape is more of an oval shape than round. Is it suppose to be like this.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SP:
When I use tight focus the beam shape is more of an oval shape than round. Is it suppose to be like this.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

KT, you beat my post.

SP,

Don't be concerned. I have yet to see a round Taclite beam. The most important thing is to spend all the time necessary to focus it as tightly as possible. This may take a while and even be somewhat frustrating, but keep at it; the results are well worth the effort.

I'm assuming you have the Taclite Model 1 which is the internal focusing model. The Model 2 is external focus and may not focus as tightly. I prefer Model 1 for several reasons; the "set it and forget it" focus feature being an important one.

Which version do you have?

Brightnorm

moraino

Enlightened
KT, Brightnorm and SP

I now have both, Triad I and II. I bought the used TRIAD I from the owner of Magnum Enforcement. It is a beautiful silver color one, internal focus of course.

They both focus to about the same small spot depen upon the bulb it has. There are different kind of bulbs and the filament construction may vary.

Now the difference is that the type I housing surround the base of the bulb including the rubber cusion very securely. While the type II, the bulb merely insert in the socket which can be wiggling loose thus may cause the bulb not positioned in the center which require a good eye to correct it.

The remedy to the type II is to bent the pin of the bulb zig-zag shape to increase the drag when inserting into the socket. This way when you swing the lite the bulb won't come out. Be sure to use two small needle nose plyers or you could ruin the bulb.

One last suggestion for the potential ASP buyers: make sure you ask the supplir to get you the TYPE I internal focus. The owner of Magnum Enforcement told me some supplier still have some TYPE I available. So hurry up before they run out.

If you do get the TYPE II, they are as good as TYPE I with the technic discribed above.
I am happy whenever I get a chance to go out at night shining the lights to the sky or trees. I see two beams reaching out far away even with the bright street lamps on.

If you want a good close up light with good beam, use Luseon Star LED. Waiting to mod the 5W LS to my 3D MAG. That sure will help me see a LOT farther. Lets be patient.

Henry

Karpaasi

Newly Enlightened
I didn´t mean to sound like i´m complaining. I´m actually very pleased with the performance and the quality of this light and I have owned it for almost two years now. Just wanted to ask from other users if they´ve had similar experience. And yes it is the internal focus model.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by moraino:
KT, Brightnorm and SP

One last suggestion for the potential ASP buyers: make sure you ask the supplir to get you the TYPE I internal focus. The owner of Magnum Enforcement told me some supplier still have some TYPE I available. So hurry up before they run out.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Henry,

Your post alarmed me. I hope you don't mean that ASP is phasing out Type 1.

Brightnorm

moraino

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by brightnorm:
Henry,

Your post alarmed me. I hope you don't mean that ASP is phasing out Type 1.

Brightnorm
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brightnorm,

Here is the message I've got from Mr. Dave Skala, the owner of http://www.geocities.com/magnumenforcement2000/

"Hi Henry,

I contacted my supplier to see if they had the Triads in stock on the assumption that if there were a new release, they would still have the "Old" stuff. My supplier is awaiting a replinishment shipment and therefore may be getting the new type.

I contacted ASP at 1-800-236-6243 and they advised me that yes, they have come out with an ASP Triad II which still have the thumb switch and have External focus. They said that all of the thumb switch types will have this from now on. I also was told from my supplier that ASP tends to wait until the old stuff is sold at the factory before sending new releases out. The odds are that the order I will receive will be the new style of light".

I am not sure whether the Triad I is still in production or not. I don't bother to call Tanners or other supplier, they wouln't know. I've tried it.

Mr. Skala was very helpful to me, really good service. He even sold me his month old TRIAD I which I am very grateful. He would be very happy to answer any questions if anyone like to purchase an ASP TRIAD.

Henry