New and need some help

Stage X Tuning

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,
This is my first post, im somewhat new to LEDs, I have installed some already using a resister. The Leds where set up in parallel, now im look into installing some Luxeon Rebel's. I did some research but still not sure of what is that best way to run the LEDs. The LEDs are going to be put on a car and motorcycle so the supply is 12VDC. I would like to run 4 on the same "switch" if possible also what is the max I can run on one "switch"?

I have seen people talking about driver boards for the LEDs. Is that going to be my best way to run the LEDs through a driver or would I still be able to us a resister? Also I have 5 EE's available to me if I need a new "driver board" made. We don't make anything that relates to LEDs but if I knew what to ask of them they would be able to make it for me.

The car that started this for me is the new Audi A5 with the LED running lights. So I want brighter LEDs then what I have now. Will be using as, lighting in the car as well as turn signal lights so some are going to be on as long as the vehicle is on and some will be on only for a few seconds at a time. I know im going to need a heat sink when using the Rebels

Thanks for helping a newbie out :thanks:

Stage X Tuning

Newly Enlightened
I trust your Rebels are not subject to the recall.

You want this board, and you want to run 4 LEDs in series.
thanks for the link, now is it possible to build something with more LEDs in series? whats the limit of a driver? im thinking of a driver @ 800mA that can run 6 or so LEDs

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for the link, now is it possible to build something with more LEDs in series? whats the limit of a driver? im thinking of a driver @ 800mA that can run 6 or so LEDs

You're probably not going to find a boost driver that boosts from 12V, so you need the total Vf of the LED series to be less than the total voltage supplied by the alternator.

For 6, I'd suggest two of those drivers in parallel, each running 3 emitters. You could switch the two drivers in parallel.

Last edited: