USPS insurance claim

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone ever had to put in a claim for a lost light or other item from USPS?Was it foreign or domestic?
Any tips,or good info on how to proceed?

Brownstone

Enlightened
Has anyone ever had to put in a claim for a lost light or other item from USPS?Was it foreign or domestic?
Any tips,or good info on how to proceed?

You are going to need paperwork to establish the value of the lost object. It doesn't matter to the USPS how much it was insured for (that only sets the upper limit they will repay), they will still only reimburse the actual value of the item.

Your original receipt, canceled check, credit cards statement, or so on will work.

Also, if the package arrived at the destination, you will need to present the empty package at the post office for their inspection.

Probedude

Enlightened
I sent a package to Columbia via US Express Mail which never made it.
Took a while (I think a month) but the claim was relatively painless.
They have to investigate the claim before they pay out (which makes sense).

gorn

Enlightened
I have only had one USPS insurance claim. I sent a video camera to my son in Iraq. It didn't make it. Per the USPS the person recieving the item has to file the claim. With my son in Iraq and in a special ops unit that spent most of it's time behind enemy lines there was no way he could file the claim.

About 6 months later the package actually arrived at his FOB. So it was a mute point.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
what happens if you dont have insurance but have proof that item is $400? what will they give you