New member and another one of those "Which light" threads- L2T 2.0, P3D Q5, TK10

LittleJerry

Newly Enlightened
New member and another one of those "Which light" threads- L2T 2.0, P3D Q5, TK10

So I started reading around here a little while ago and decided I needed to join up and get some guidance. I'm not a flashaholic like some of you but I am a toyaholic :D.

Currently I only have a 2xAA LED Maglite and a 3xD Maglite. Not very interesting, I know...

Well, thats all going to change with your help! I need a new light(toy) and I'm seeking your experienced opinions. I used to have a Dorcy Metal Gear Luxeon 3xAAA that I got at Walmart for $20. I was actually quite pleased with the little light for the price I paid. Only problem was that it was killed by some low quality batteries that decided to corrode the inside of the light.

Well, I want something better! I'm looking mostly at Fenix. I actually had the pleasure of crossing paths with 4Sevens at a local autoshow where he was selling an Ariel Atom. Picked up the flier(and business card) and decided to visit the website. Turns out he sells exactly what I've been itching to buy!

Anyways, back on topic- I'm looking at the L2T 2.0, P3D Q5, and TK10. I realize they are all quite different in size, brightness, and operation, but they all appear to be quality products.
The L2T seems to be a very practical light that is bright "enough"(is it every really enough? :D)
The P3D is a cool little gadget- small enough to carry around all day and REALLY bright! It would be a fun to to show people.
The TK10 is also absurdly bright. Far brighter than I thought(in my ignorance) an LED was capable of.

The only real task this light will serve(beyond my personal amusement :devil:) is a primary light for camping and potentially self defense(if someone decides to come crawling through my window one night). Keeping that in mind, the light must have some sort of blinding capability in a short range indoor environment.

I was originally going to get a Surefire G2 but I was rather disappointed with the battery life of my friends 6P. At 60 minutes the batteries are toast... And it blinds you if you are using it to rummage through a backpack in a tent at night. This is one of the reasons why I like the multiple modes offered by the lights.

So, do any of you have some wisdom to offer?

Last edited:

aussiebob

Enlightened
Re: New member and another one of those "Which light" threads- L2T 2.0, P3D Q5, TK10

Tk 10 would be my choice as i just ordered one.:D

HKJ

Flashaholic
Re: New member and another one of those "Which light" threads- L2T 2.0, P3D Q5, TK10

The Fenix light are very different.

The L1 and L2 series uses AA batteries. When called L2D they have many levels and strobe. The L2T is only two levels and a forward switch.

The P1, P2 and P3 series uses CR123A batteries, the CR123A batteries are more expensive (It is best to buy the batteries from the internet), but contains more energy and can deliver the energy faster, making for brighter lights.

The T1/TK10 have a more solid design, and weights some more. The both have a forward switch with only on/off. The two levels are selected by turning the head.

A forward switch will turn on when pressed lightly and lock on when pressed fully.
A revers switch must be pressed fully, before it turns on. When on a light press will temporary switch the light off (Useful for mode change).

As EDC lights I prefer the P or L series, but as a general purpose flashlight the T models are better.

Last edited:

RainerWahnsinn

Enlightened

The only real task this light will serve(beyond my personal amusement :devil:) is a primary light for camping and potentially self defense(if someone decides to come crawling through my window one night). Keeping that in mind, the light must have some sort of blinding capability in a short range indoor environment.

TK10 as entrance to become a flashaholic:welcome:

Gunner12

Flashaholic

I'd go with the L2D-CE Q5.

8% off coupon at Fenix Store is "CPF8".

:welcome:

LargePig

Newly Enlightened

I have a P3D Premium Q5 and a TK10.

I love the TK10 more than I love the P3D, but EDC both of them.
The P3D is always on my belt and the TK10 is always in my camera bag or my man-bag, depending on which one I have on me.

If I were to only have one of them.... It would have to be the P3D, due to the size, even though the TK10 is my favourite.

The P3D simply wins out of practicality.... And it IS still an awesome light! :huh:

Centropolis

Enlightened

I have a P3D Premium Q5 and a TK10.

I love the TK10 more than I love the P3D, but EDC both of them.
The P3D is always on my belt and the TK10 is always in my camera bag or my man-bag, depending on which one I have on me.

If I were to only have one of them.... It would have to be the P3D, due to the size, even though the TK10 is my favourite.

The P3D simply wins out of practicality.... And it IS still an awesome light! :huh:

The TK10 is HUGE as an EDC! What do you do for a living that you need a TK10 in your bag?? :) I hope you don't take this as a negative....just trying to say what I have in my mind! :)

I carry my L2D and I think it's too long. I should really put the L1D body on it instead.

Anyways, to answer the poster's question, the P3D and TK10 definitely has blinding capabilities. Personally, if this is the first serious flashlight you're getting....I would go for the P3D because you'll find more general usage for it. The size also makes it easier to carry. You may also look at the L2D Q5 as well, the batteries will be cheaper and almost just as bright as the P3D Q5.

LargePig

Newly Enlightened

The TK10 is HUGE as an EDC! What do you do for a living that you need a TK10 in your bag?? :) I hope you don't take this as a negative....just trying to say what I have in my mind! :)

:D I don't do ANYTHING in my line of work that I need a light for! :duck:

My problem is that I love my TK10 too much to leave it at home :grin2:

I bought my P3D for taking photos in pitch black places where I can't really use a flash (light painting). I keep it on my belt because it's obviously always useful to have a light on you.

What happened next was that I got greedy and bough the TK10 for sh*ts and giggles and fell in love with it. Now it goes wherever I do!

LittleJerry

Newly Enlightened

Its foolish to think that this will be the only light that I buy... I'm certain that after I have one I'll want another :devil:.

Keeping that in mind I might just go for that TK10. I already have some handy LED mags laying around... I shouldn't try to be too practical.

Although I think I see a P3D or L2D in my future as well... The simple fact is that one light can't do everything! I simply must have more than one. :D

Brigadier

Enlightened

If only Fenix made pocket clips for all their lights....... Hence my EDC light is an IncenDio.

Last edited:

LittleJerry

Newly Enlightened

Is the P3D an appropriate size to toss in your pocket?

aussiebob

Enlightened

Is the P3D an appropriate size to toss in your pocket?
I "toss" mine in my pocket but with a wallet, phone, keys etc it can be cumbersome, a p2d would be better bet i reckon.

Latest posts