Improvised Accessories

Empath

Flashaholic
I find myself walking through hobby, hardware, or any other stores looking at things as if anything might be a flashlight accessory, and yes my wife thinks it strange. When approached by sales clerks asking if they can help, it's sometimes difficult to explain. The dialog could be, "oh I was just looking at the different brands of shampoo you have trying to find one with a dark blue translucent, but not to clear, bottle cap". Really, it's has happened. I've developed a respect for the clerks that still treat me as sane when they know I must be out of my mind. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Anyway, I figure that many here have found worthwhile flashlight accessories that were not manufactured as such. They aren't really mods, but they do offer a bit more utility to our lights. Perhaps we could share ideas.

One such accessory is the plastic leg tips for furniture. The ones I found were the 3/4 inch ones, white plastic, nearly opaque, but still translucent enough to permit light diffusion. That size slips perfectly over an Infinity, either standard or Ultra. What it does is create a little nightlight, or tent light. It provides less light than manufactured tent lights, and is just enough light to barely illuminate. It's also the perfect battery burner for using the remainder of what's left of your AA, instead of discarding a cell with a little life left. The LED has a strong forward beam that makes a little beam of light in the center of the plastic tip. I've put a little circle of glow sheeting there, so even when you turn it off it acts as a guide light for hours.

Of course improvised accessories can be used on more than just LED lights; most any type can work.

Has anyone else got any favorite impromptu accessories?

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
I created a double Arc LS Holster using PVC pipe lying around my tech class at school. I cut two to a good length and covered it with duct tape and electrical tape.

Dan

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
About the only thing I've done is put small split rings on my Infinity, Ultra, LS's TSP-123 and 1AA packs. Then put bail hooks on those. Whatever my EDC is, I have it hanging off an aluminum carabiner from my left front belt loop. The only non-improvised accessory I have, is my custom 2C pack for the Arc LS. Not much here.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Charles Bradshaw said:
.... The only non-improvised accessory I have, is my custom 2C pack for the Arc LS....

[/ QUOTE ]

Charles,

Forgive me if you've already answered this; have you done a run test on your DSpeck 2C/Lux? (I think it was Doug's creation).

Brightnorm

Wylie

Enlightened
Empath,
I don't feel so alone in this world after reading the first paragraph of this post. A lot of the time I just figure the clerks are going to think I am a little nuts so I don't ask for any help. Then again I also like to see how they act sometimes. I buy 3 inch PVC SCH 40 to ship the fishing rods I build so they will not be broken in the mail and that gets some quire looks sometimes. If you have ever shiped many fishing rods you would know why I do this.

A C cell flashlight can be insulated with the foam type of handle bar grips from beach cruiser bicycles. A little soapy water and light work and they slide right on. I use a dremel with a sanding drum to smooth the cut ends as I like them to look nice. If the flashlight has a push button on the side, use some of the rubber dip and paint the area the switch is under. This works best with recessed switches as the foam can make unrecessed switches not work right.I don't like cold flashlights in cold weather. Burrrrr!

Oops! this was about accessories wasn't it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't do runtime tests, Brightnorm. With a $386/month income (socsec disability), I really can't afford to do that. I expect much longer than 2AA lithiums and Cs are cheaper than Lithium AAs. The pack will pay for itself soon enough.

Yes, it is Doug's design: an extension of the 1C pack he did for someone else, with a couple of modifications. The washer/flange was my idea, since the normal carry method for Mags, is a belt ring, from which the light hangs. I have a baton (PR1) holder: black steel ring with black leather riveted belt loop, that used to be the ONLY thing for C cell Mags. Mag didn't have a C sized version of their D Mag belt holder back then. I used to have a 2C Mag, and have a 2D Mag, which I carry like that, so it made sense to me to carry the LS like that in 2C config.