Unusual LED light seen Iraq

broadgage

Enlightened
A distant friend has recently returned from military service in Iraq, they are not a flashaholic, but commented favourably on a light used by an American soldier.
They thought it was US army issue, but to me it sounds like a mod, perhaps by someone here?

Based on a 4D Maglight, gave the choice of a bright white light, or subdued red light.
The white light was fixed focus, not adjustable and was much brighter than a standard Maglight. They dont know if the white was incandescent, or high power LED.
The red light was from 4 red LEDS set in the edge of the reflector, the output on red was sufficient for map reading or walking around in darkened buildings etc.
The light was turned on/off by the standard maglight push button switch.
Selecting red or white was done by removing the batteries and inserting them the other way round, very unusual!
Whilst removing and re-inserting the batteries sounds cumbersome, it had the great advantage that if the batteries were reversed at sundown, or on leaving a safe area, then the risk of accidently showing a bright white light was eliminated.
Power was 4 standard alkaline D cells, or a 4D nickel cadmium stick.

Three similar lights were in use, though that does not prove that they were issued, if someone could mod one, then could have done three.

Anyone seen or heard of these before?, regret no pics.

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
That sounds very interesting, and would be a good light for a soldier in a combat area. I would guess that it is a custom light from what you describe.

I sounds like there is a transistor or FET switch to prevent a reverse polarity issue for the unused LED(s) when reversing the batteries.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO the LED's are probably connected in parallel, using the fact that they have a very high resistance if the polarity is wrong- the current will flow down the "leg" with less resistance, which will change depending on the polarity.

broadgage

Enlightened
Have now obtained more detail.
The lights were mods, not mass produced or official issue.
The white light was a high power LED, with dropper resistor, the red LEDs were standard ultrabright 3mm types worked via suitable dropper resistors.

The red/white LEDs are wired in inverse parralel.

The work being performed was more like security/military police work, than regular soldiering, and the 4D mag was considered suitable as a baton. (rifles, handguns, and combat knives being also carried)

The red light was especialy valuable when moving in damaged buildings that were used as observation points.
No light would have posed an excessive risk of trips and falls, bright white light would have been too conspicous to the enemy.

It was said that the lights were modded by the father of an American soldier, following suggestions that the issued lights were not suited.

Other soldiers (British and American) carried two minimags, one with red LED and one stock or white LED, these being marked in some way to avoid useing the wrong one.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
You say baton, I say truncheon. :devil:
German MP's carried white hard rubber "Traffic directing batons" and had to refer to them as such when writing reports. "I subdued him with my Traffic directing baton."
As an MP we "got no respect" from American soldiers.
One night I was with a German MP when he spoke to some of his troops. They snapped to attention and *listened*. He ordered them back to the base and they left. I asked if he would like me to give them a ride, he smiled and said, "No, they will run" It was about two miles and much of it was uphill.

deusexaethera

Banned
The red light was especialy valuable when moving in damaged buildings that were used as observation points.
No light would have posed an excessive risk of trips and falls, bright white light would have been too conspicous to the enemy.

It was said that the lights were modded by the father of an American soldier, following suggestions that the issued lights were not suited.
That's the spirit!

However, it probably would've been easier in the long run to use a dark red filter, or install a switch that could reverse polarity by itself. But either way, it's nice to see someone take initiative like that, instead of just sitting at home worrying about their loved one.

roadie

Enlightened
One night I was with a German MP when he spoke to some of his troops. They snapped to attention and *listened*. He ordered them back to the base and they left. I asked if he would like me to give them a ride, he smiled and said, "No, they will run" It was about two miles and much of it was uphill.

what did 'he' say to the troops to make them run ....... :eek: