smooth or OP reflector on Fenix P3D Premium Q5?

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm was about to order one from Lighthound and I see they offer a smooth OR a texured reflector. Which one would you guys suggest? Is the textured new?

Dan

chaosmagnet

Newly Enlightened
Textured gives you a cleaner, less ringy hotspot. Smooth reflectors give you better throw. I have a textured reflector on my P2D and I like it.

Ninjaz7

Enlightened
Depends what your using it for...the orange peel has a floddy aspect(great for indoors,closer shots,lights up a room better...smoother without intense hot spot to spill),while the straight has better throw(distance shots,pinpointing,hot spot beaming...tight hot spot usually less spill)...I use my 120t around the house(orange peel)and my malkoff 3d maglite for outside the house pinpointing 300ft(straight),two very diffrent lights but you get the hint...gl in your decision.

aussiebob

Enlightened
I like the textured best as mine is textured and dont have a smooth to compare to.
The beam is really clear, well focused and it gives lots of spill, a great general purpose beam.

gallagho

Enlightened
I bought a smooth P3D for throw, and to be honest it's not really that much of throw monster even smooth. If you would like a Fenix with throw then something from the T series is probably your best best.

Owen

Last edited:

kzad

Newly Enlightened
I know I'm in the minority here, but I've found I prefer the smooth reflectors in multi-level lights. If I'm working up close I'm going to have it on a lower level anyway, so rings won't be obvious, and I'm going to be focused on what I'm working on, so spill isn't as important to me. It's not like the smooth doesn't have any spill, just not as much. It all depends on what your going to be using the light for I guess... you need to buy one of each to see which you prefer, and then you'll probably end up keeping them both...

HeadCSO

Enlightened
I would go with the OP reflector for a smoother beam. The reflectors are quite small and the smooth doesn't really offer much longer throw.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never owned a P3D but the two L2Ds that I had were pretty much identical in beamshots (I guess the reflector is the same in the L2D or at least very similar). The OP and smooth were the same to the eye. The beam was no less ringy with the OP, it also had the same halo and the throw was exactly the same.

I had expected to see some difference but it was simply not apparent. At least with my fenix OP vs smooth comparisons there is no difference!

RGB_LED

Enlightened
As some have previously mentioned, it depends on what you're using it for. I have a P3D with SMO reflector and it gives out a pretty wide beam when I use it outdoors and at the distances that I normally see the light ie. Mountain-biking, 10-30ft in front of me).

I have another light with an OP reflector and find that with shorter distances, that reflector probably works better for me but, since the P3D's beam is not that narrow, I don't mind leaving it stock as it gives me a bit more throw when the trails straighten out.

_Shawn_

Newly Enlightened
I purchased a mix of seven Q5 L1Ds as gifts not too long ago. I understand they have the same reflector as the P3D but uses 1 AA and therefore less power than the P3D.

Some had the smooth reflector and some had the textured reflector. I did not notice a difference in throw or spill when outside, I had about 100 yards to play with. However, the textured beam pattern was smoother when shining on a white wall and had slightly more spill.

I tested all of them before giving 6 away and keeping one of the textured for myself only because the beam was a little smoother.

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for everyones input as usual. All great advice. Seems like anything else in here is that it depends mostly on ones preference. I decided to go with the OP reflector. I'll get a didecated thrower soon anyway.