Considering TerraLUX TLE-300M, any comments?

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello,

I've got this old 6D Maglight sitting in the closet collecting dust. It has been rendered completely useless after all the advances in flashlight technology over recent years.

I have been considering purchasing a TerraLUX TLE-300M and resurrecting the old 6D sewer pipe.

I have been unable to find a good review of this product. Are these things worth the $90? Are there other perhaps better options availible?

My wife works in a research lab, they use portable equipment that runs on D batteries, they only use the D batteries for a short while an then replace them. So I have several boxes full of partially drained D cell batteries.(literally hundreds of D cells) I figured this might be a good way to use them up.

Thanks

Frankiarmz

Enlightened
I have only read specs and some reviews but it sounds like a monster. I converted my 3 D Cell Mag last year using the MagLite brand LED and it was a good purchase. I can get very good light that will last twenty four hours on rechargeable NIMH D Cells. I don't have to be concerned with bulbs burning out anymore. I think it all depends on what you want from this light? General use and longer run time on those slightly used batteries, or extremely bright light and a much shorter run time?

cyberpunk

Newly Enlightened
I bought one and had to send it back. It didn't fit my Maglight! I have a 4 D cell light that I bought God knows how many years ago - probably 12 - 15 years ago. I haven't bought a Mag light since, and perhaps Mag changed something in their design within the last decade or so (no doubt a large number of people on this forum know the answer to that question), but in any case, the TLE-300M simply did not fit into my light. The stem wasn't long enough to find purchase and screw down into my light!

So - following the installation instructions, it was impossible to install it. And when I removed my Mag head and installed the TLE-300M directly onto my light's body, it wouldn't light up. So I either had a TLE-300M that just didn't fit my light, or it was a TLE-300M that didn't fit my light and was also defective and wouldn't have turned on even if it had fit. I couldn't tell if the latter was the case, or not.

All in all, it was a complete bust of an experience for me (other than Battery Junction being incredibly easy to work with for the return of the item). And the more I've seen pictures of the light beam from the TLE-300M since my failed attempt at using it, the less impressed I've been.

I have no interest in the TLE-300M, whatsoever.

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the ElektroLumens Monster Throw III is around the same price.

Went to the ElectroLumens site, definitely looks interesting. Site says the Monster throw products are for 3D lights. Will these work in a 6D, or is that too much voltage?

Do these have thermal protection and voltage regulation like the TerraLUX?

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought one and had to send it back. It didn't fit my Maglight! I have a 4 D cell light that I bought God knows how many years ago - probably 12 - 15 years ago. I haven't bought a Mag light since, and perhaps Mag changed something in their design within the last decade or so (no doubt a large number of people on this forum know the answer to that question), but in any case, the TLE-300M simply did not fit into my light. The stem wasn't long enough to find purchase and screw down into my light!

So - following the installation instructions, it was impossible to install it. And when I removed my Mag head and installed the TLE-300M directly onto my light's body, it wouldn't light up. So I either had a TLE-300M that just didn't fit my light, or it was a TLE-300M that didn't fit my light and was also defective and wouldn't have turned on even if it had fit. I couldn't tell if the latter was the case, or not.

All in all, it was a complete bust of an experience for me (other than Battery Junction being incredibly easy to work with for the return of the item). And the more I've seen pictures of the light beam from the TLE-300M since my failed attempt at using it, the less impressed I've been.

I have no interest in the TLE-300M, whatsoever.

Well that stinks. Does anyone have any info on serial number ranges of the lights that are compatible/not compatible with the TLE-300M?

Mine is probably somewhere between 8-12 years old.

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have only read specs and some reviews but it sounds like a monster. I converted my 3 D Cell Mag last year using the MagLite brand LED and it was a good purchase. I can get very good light that will last twenty four hours on rechargeable NIMH D Cells. I don't have to be concerned with bulbs burning out anymore. I think it all depends on what you want from this light? General use and longer run time on those slightly used batteries, or extremely bright light and a much shorter run time?

Pretty much looking for as much throw as I can get, but with thermal protection and voltage regulation.