Anyone run a marathon?

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
As some of you may know, I'm a distance runner. I've run 6 half-marathons with another one coming up this Saturday. I'm trying to pick my first full marathon, and I'm leaning toward the Indianapolis Monumental marathon. It's the inaugural race, so I'm not sure what to expect as far as the event is concerned. The race has an experienced race director, so I'm hoping it will be a good one.

Anyone run both a half and a full. Even with a good running base, how bad does the marathon kick your butt?

acourvil

Enlightened
A half is an entirely different race than a full marathon. With a half, you can fake hydration, nutrition and even overall conditioning and still run a pretty good race; not so with a full marathon. And the last 6 miles seem as long as the first 20.2 . . . .

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just remember the first marathoner keeled over and died at the finish line. Don't be that guy.

The craziest I have ever been is running a ten miler. I have known a number of people who have completed marathons though - both well prepared, and in one case remarkably unprepared. Based on what they told me, it's a lot more than just going twice as far. It takes more planning and you face new issues. If you don't find someone here keep looking for that experience and knowledge.

Good luck. Report back into us when you decide on a race, and especially when you complete it. :grin2:

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Though it's not related to a full marathon, I did set a new PR of 1:44:57 at the Indy Mini half-marathon yesterday!

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never run a Marathon, but I started running long distance in High School Cross Country many moons ago. We used to run 10 miles every week.

I still love running, but I don't measure distance. I measure time and heart rate. I jog 1 hour with my heart rate between 150 and 160 once a week. I also run 30 mins with my heart rate between 160 and 170. The latter being much more difficult.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
And the last 6 miles seem as long as the first 20.2 . . . .

WORD to that!

I ran a marathon a few years back, to see if I could do it.. and haven't done one since. I'll maybe do a 5k or 10k race a couple times a year, but otherwise, it's all bicycling... which my knees like me better for!

Good luck there Valpo! :thumbsup: Although I was hurting afterwards, the feeling of accomplishment inside outweighed any physical pain I was in.

john

KingSmono

Enlightened
I've run a half marathon once, but never a full marathon. Last week though, I signed up for the 2009 Disney Marathon, so if my training goes well and injury-free, I'll be checking the marathon off of my lifetime "to-do" list in January! :)

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've heard the Disney Marathon is a great race. Right now I'm leaning toward either the inaugural Indianapolis Monumental or the 'regular' Indianapolis Marathon that goes through Ft. Harrison. They're only 2 weeks apart, and since we have a family reunion in Ft. Harrison every year, I'm leaning toward the Indianapolis Marathon.

Bump.

I just started running for the first time since high school. 31 years old, on the cusp of cracking 200 lbs (I have a thin frame) and I said enough is enough. I've hit the treadmill 5 days a week for the last month (yeah, it was 4th of July drinking and BBQing all weekend that did me in). I've already lost 12 pounds and am now up to 20 miles per week of outside running.

Before now I've never participated in an organized run outside of high school track which I only did because the football coach made everyone sign up for it in the offseason. So far I've signed up for a 5K and a 10K in October, these I'm not worried about. However I've pretty much told everyone I know that I'm also gunning for the big kahuna in April - the GO! St. Louis Marathon. I'm stoked about the challenge and am completely ready to continue training this hard and more for the next 8 months, but I keep making myself nervous thinking about the sheer distance involved.

Valpo Hawkeye, I'd love to hear if/which one you signed up for, and what you thought of it.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Resurrecting this old thread with an update...

I registered for and ran the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon last November. It was awesome! That was the most fun I've had apart from spending time with my family.

I took a REALLY conservative pace and finished in 4:08. I know I had more in me because my 25th mile was a 7:25 pace. It was a great event, I highly recommend it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk