Judging light size from photo

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it me or it's difficult to judge the size of a flashlight from a photo, if you haven't seen it in person before? I found I tend to over estimate the size from photos. For example SF G2, before I saw it in person I always pictured it more like the size of 2 c cell. And L1, also smaller than I thought when I saw it in person.

Tachikoma

Enlightened
Me too, I find difficult to perceive the real size of an object (not only with flashlights then) from a photo if there isn't any reference :shakehead
IMO the solution would be to always photograph the item near a well known object, for example a AA battery, so we could immediately understand the size :thumbsup:

nutz_about_lights

Enlightened
Yup me too, especially for Surefire lights. I didn't know they were that small! I always thought that the the G2 was the size of the average 2 cell light. :shrug:

what I do now is to use a ruler of course, to get a better idea of the size. If possibe I do a paper cut out too.

smvtsailor

Newly Enlightened
I have a hard time doing this, especially with Fenix and Surefire lights. I guess its just the pre-CPF days of C and D powered flashlights. CR123A's have roughly the same proportions as a C cell, so that just makes it worse.

Latest posts