HDS bezel wrench or new EDC?

saunterer

Newly Enlightened
This is going to be a two part question.

First, are these available anywhere or can I rent one from a CPF member? :shrug: I'd hate to buy one and find out it will not work. I have a HDS B42 with a slight ding on the head, and the mousepad trick and split ring pliers will not budge it. I have some slight damage from trying the split ring pliers and I am just speculating that maybe the bezel wrench might be my only or last option. Thoughts? I would like to drop in a SSC P4 if possible; plus it's a cheap upgrade.

Secondly, if my bezel cannot come out due to this ding what would be the next logical upgradeable EDC light? I'm the type of person that buys my EDC gear for the long haul and usually settles with one thing for a long time. This B42 I have has been through heck and back; across the US from board rooms, to caves, to the mountains of Colorado. Should I go ahead and just get a HDS 85/120 (assuming I can't update my B42) or a one cell Surefire (E1L, L1 or E1B) since there are so many options available for the Surefire line? Whatever my next light is, I would like to be able to modify it when technology is upgraded and I am partial to these two brands.

I'm not a raging flashoholic, but want one light that will satisfy me for the long haul.

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Boot sole worked better for me than a mouse pad. You can push a lot harder..

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are talking about the original bezel with the four indents, you can make a removal tool from a piece of hacksaw blade. Simply snap it close to length, and file it to the exact size. I can usually open it by hand, but if I need some extra torque, I clamp the tool with a pair of Vice Grip pliers.

saunterer

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the input.

Well, the hacksaw blade did get my bezel out. But, I shattered my lens and ruined the bezel in the process. :ohgeez: The small ding in the head made it quite tough.

Guess now is a reason to start a mod, huh? Funny thing is, the optic is held in with some type of material; I thought it could just drop out. I'll search around and see if some other threads have some info on disassembling this B42.

saunterer

Newly Enlightened
Alright, this is a lesson learned and hopefully can help others out also. I have my HDS completely apart. With my B42 (#0597), all I had to do was just unscrew the LED module from the battery compartment side; I didn't even have to remove the bezel or lens. Doh! :ohgeez:

So long story short, I just placed orders with Lighthound for a new SS bezel, Flashlightlens.com for a new UCL lens and with the Sandwich Shoppe for a new Seoul P4. This will give me a chance to clean my light up, and give it another 2 or more years of good use. :twothumbs

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chris,

Sorry to hear about the mishap. :(

The HDS B42 that I just modded had a reflector that was integral to the head (like the Arc 4+). I took the head apart and sent it to have the reflector machined -0.030" to accept the new Seoul LED.

The great part about modding your light is that you will have an easy swap to better LED's when the become available.

Good luck!

saunterer

Newly Enlightened
Kenster,

That thread is what started this whole thing. But as datiLED stated, my reflector is integrated into the head and I had no idea.

Now the hard part; waiting for the proverbial UPS truck. :sigh:

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
If only the old links still worked. I had a thread that was an add-on to that step-by-step.

It used an Edixeon and the mod was on a U60 with a integrated reflector.

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
saunter,

It appears my finger scrolled the posts faster than my eyes could read. :ohgeez: The reflector being part of the head and not removable would have come as a surprise to me as well. If you are not having the head/reflector machined as datiLED mentioned, I wonder how an SSC P4 will work? :shrug: OK, know a couple of "IF`s". :p If the SSC P4 doesn`t focus well enough for you and if you would care to try a Luxeon TFFC K2 emitter bin TW0F, I would be happy to send you one but ... always a but :ohgeez:... Not sure about the K2 "F" bin vf with your HDS driver??? Not sure the K2 will fit your HDS LE module without modification??? Anyway, in case you are not familiar with the Luxeon TFFC K2 below is a link to the sales thead where I bought a few with info & links to more info. BTW this is a free emitter offer to you and if you are interested, shoot me a PM. :)

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=171876

Ken

saunterer

Newly Enlightened
Wow, Kenster! Thanks for the offer. While I'm not a frequent CFP'er, the past 6 years that I have stopped by, this is truly one of the best groups on the 'net. :thumbsup:

The threads that I have been reading, states that the SSC P4 could possibly just drop in with no modification. If the beam needs adjusting, I speculate that I could just screw the module in or out a bit to get the focus I'm looking for. But as you said, there are a few "ifs" involved.

How about this? I'll PM you on your offer and if it doesn't work out, I'll just re-gift it to another CFP'er.

I got all my shipping confirmations this morning from most of my replacement parts, so hopefully I'll be able to get my HDS back together by next weekend. Really jonesin' for it back. While I love my old ARC LSL (since this is my backup EDC) I truly miss my HDS.

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I'm not a frequent CFP'er, the past 6 years that I have stopped by, this is truly one of the best groups on the 'net. :thumbsup:

Yup, CPF has a great bunch of folks! :thumbsup: I haven`t been a member as long as you so my post count shows I have been somewhat of an active member but I post a lot of nonsense. :p Anyway, countless members have have been more than just helpful or kind to me and it is always my pleasure to do something for another member to keep the CPF friendly spirit going. :) Hmmm :thinking: ...... How about I send you an LED care package just in case you feel like doing anymore modding? ;) A variey mix. :grin2: But... Oh, the "but" deal, eh? :rolleyes: Just don`t blame me if you become a modding flashaholic maniac! :duck:HEHE!

Oh, and if this gesture makes you feel like this :D and it feels good like it should :p then pass the :D feeling forward sometime. Just not back to me cuz I already have mine see :D

Me :wave:

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
The K2 won't fit unless you cut the module.

You need to make sure the module screws all the way to the body otherwise you'll have heat issues. If you look at the module and the body you'll see the lips put thermal compound on them to help heat transfer.

The SSC P4 should focus just fine. If you're a white wall hunter that uses his light 5inches from any surface then you'll mind the donut. Otherwise the larger hotspot makes the light more useful.

saunterer

Newly Enlightened
tebore,

Reading around a bit, is the SSC P4 .03" taller than the Lux III? I see a few threads where this number is mentioned a lot and with a reference to shaving a reflector. If I do a direct drop-in in my HDS (which has an integrated reflector) will there be a noticeable difference?

I'm not a white wall hunter; this is my EDC that gets used in real world scenarios. I primarily use it at 20 lumens but would like some extra punch when outdoors hence my interest in upgrading the LED.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
To get the stock retaining ring off my hds i use an old set of dial calipers and use the id part of them works every time:thumbsup:

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
tebore,

Reading around a bit, is the SSC P4 .03" taller than the Lux III? I see a few threads where this number is mentioned a lot and with a reference to shaving a reflector. If I do a direct drop-in in my HDS (which has an integrated reflector) will there be a noticeable difference?

I'm not a white wall hunter; this is my EDC that gets used in real world scenarios. I primarily use it at 20 lumens but would like some extra punch when outdoors hence my interest in upgrading the LED.

If you don't mind a donut on close up work then you'll be fine. You can't or shouldn't mod the integrated reflector.

In my step-by-step I mentioned that another alternative to the SSC is the Edixeon. The Edixeon will eliminate the donut. The down side is you're taking a small hit in lumens and the tint is more warm and there's a slight halo effect.

saunterer

Newly Enlightened
Update.

My UCL came in from Flashlight Lens, my bezel arrived from Lighthound and my Seoul P4 came in from the Sandwich Shoppe. After 5 minutes at the kitchen table with my Welch Allyn soldering station, and a nice application of Arctic Silver 5; wow, I have a new HDS.

No donuts, no halos and just as white as the previous LED that was installed. (The module was labeled GT...). And it's BRIGHT. Very easy and worthwhile upgrade.

Thanks to all for the assistance from CPF. :thumbsup: