Cheap MDXL 3W P7

JRNioa

Newly Enlightened
OK, I'm crazy I know and it may melt but I modified one of those Cheap Blue MDXL 3W little 1 123 flashlights from DEalextreme ($6.50) to hold an SCC P4 several months back and it is an awesome light not getting very hot and brighter than my Fenix P1dCDE.....now here we go.....I am building one with a P7.......any suggestions before I attempt it??

Please give me adeas, as I really want to try it!!!

Thanks

warlord

Enlightened
uh...dont?!?

There's no way an RCR123 can support a P7. I also think it's silly to put a $25 led into a $5 flashlight.

JRNioa

Newly Enlightened
OK, I did it.

Used the MDXL 3W blue flashlight from dealextreme ($6.50)
Also purchased the P7 on heatsink (21mm $25)

I took out the resistor from the light and made this direct drive off of a batterystation rcr 3.6vt

Cut down the reflector
Sanded down the heat sink to 19mm to fit it in this very small light.

Much brighter than my p4 mod...this must be about 300 lumens easily off this one rcr123 battery!

The light works and does get hot after 8 minutes but I only use it for the shock value!

easilyled

Flashaholic
I believe that there is a risk that the lion might explode because
of the high current draw.

Do be careful please.

OK, I did it.

Used the MDXL 3W blue flashlight from dealextreme ($6.50)
Also purchased the P7 on heatsink (21mm $25)

I took out the resistor from the light and made this direct drive off of a batterystation rcr 3.6vt

Cut down the reflector
Sanded down the heat sink to 19mm to fit it in this very small light.

Much brighter than my p4 mod...this must be about 300 lumens easily off this one rcr123 battery!

The light works and does get hot after 8 minutes but I only use it for the shock value!

JRNioa

Newly Enlightened
oh, I did not know the battery could explode.....chances high of this?

JRNioa

Newly Enlightened
Using the BatteryStation PROTECTED RCR123 3.6 battery only which I believe will shut off and not explode if it gets to be too much for the battery.

AvPD

Enlightened
Could we please have some pictures/beamshots?
I have been contemplating buying a P7 and cheap 3xAAA torch that will fit an 18650 but my concerns are the beam pattern and whether the pill has a large hole under where the star mounts.

Latest posts