My first Arc LSH... and not my last...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
Last week, I received my first Arc Flashlight, an Arc AAA LE. Before this purchase, I thought, "Yeah, a little expensive for what boils down to a AAA light, but it does have a 5-6 hour runtime... ." How could I go wrong? A small investment, indeed. After only a week in my hot little hands, I could not put that AAA LE down. It was a power dynamo that really put out some great light - a true backup light that was too easy to carry around. It had to be carried around. It was too small not to.

And so it came to this: If this little thing was putting out some very useful light, and noting the quality and finish on this LE as being absolutely terrific, I figured it was time for a bigger investment. Enter the Arc LSH-Premium.

So a quick dash to the CPF forums and I asked away. There were plenty of answers already in the Arc Flashlight Forum, but I wanted to hear them again. It was great to both read and see what the Arc LS series had to offer. I wrestled with a lot a choices, and even more wrestling with the naming conventions of the LS series. In fact, it was a downright brawl. I read through almost EVERYTHING associated with the LS series in this forum. Low and behold, it was Mr. Gransee's posting of his 2003 Arc Flashlight Catalog that truly got me on track. God that post made for some great reading! So with some additional help from this is nascar, Sean's Flashlight Site, and Dan from TW, I finally narrowed my choice down to the Arc LSH-P.

Today was the day I received my LSH-P. (Of course, I had to include another Arc AAA for good measure, but that's another story.) As I picked up the LSH-P in its plastic bag, I was pleased to see an inspection date of March 28, 2003. Wow. Not more than six days ago it was at Arc Flashlight. Now it was here, ready for closer examination. What a great feeling... even more so as I read the Serial number: 843. Why does that give one a sense of security? A sense of satisfaction? I really don't know. I suppose I could guess, but suffice it to say, I had a big smile on my face. Just like my Arc AAA LE, the fit and finish on this LSH-P was perfect from head to tail. It said "Serious LED Light" all over it, in a figurative sense, of course. Engraved just beneath the ARC Flashlight LLC was a warning symbol and the words: Caution! HOT! C'mon! Now THAT's serious! What other Hard Anodized III product would you not take seriously? This thing was clearly made for duty. I hadn't turned on the light yet and I was already impressed!

After working the protective plastic film off of the lens, and hoping I wasn't causing some irreparable damage, I proceeded straight to the bathroom... no, I wasn't that anxious - but it was the darkest place I could find in short order. A quick downward push on the tail switch and BAM! What the Hell?! Who put a window in here? All this light is coming from one LED? There's only one lithium battery in here, right? Of course, the inevitable was next. I temporarily blinded myself. I probably have some serious retina damage. Note to self....

What a great little package. A serious package. It's the Light Dynamo as I like to call it. Utilizing an Arc LS twisty tailcap (compliments of this is nascar) and I've got an ultra compact Light Dynamo! Now I'm always carrying two Arc flashlights on me. Today is a great day. I have a newfound product that truly makes me happy. This isn't going to be my last Arc LS - yes, I forsee many more days of retina burnings...

-Jim

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Yep, you've "Got the Fever"!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I absolutely agree with your thoughts, you expressed it well! Sounds like my "exciting torch trips" to my special dark place (also the bathroom)!

draftaman

Newly Enlightened
Great Post. I'm enjoying the same discovery you are and you said it better than I ever could. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

TNY

Newly Enlightened
looks like i have a lot to look forward to. I get my LSH on monday and im so anxious to get it the weeks is draggig (c:

AlphaTea

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
PieThatCorner said:
...I was pleased to see an inspection date of March 28, 2003. Wow. Not more than six days ago it was at Arc Flashlight. Now it was here, ready for closer examination. What a great feeling... even more so as I read the Serial number: 843. ...

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought one back in Feb(LSH-P) from TacticalWarehouse. The serial number is 996! How could mine be made before yours?
Wazzup widat? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered and paid for an AB beadshot ARC LS....i cant wait for it to get here, the light from my streamlight keymate impressed me so much( my first experience of a white LED) im dying to see what a 1 watter will do.

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
... Sounds like my "exciting torch trips" to my special dark place (also the bathroom)!

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif Hahaaaa... Sigman, you crack me up - that sounds like a very familiar experience.

You know, AlphaTea, I've noticed that too somewhat, with different or almost "out of sequential order" serial numbers from one Arc LS to another. But I found out that some simply get sent back to the finishing line due to Quality Control checks, thereby recycling (I suppose that's what it's called) some LS' to the back of the line, a true credit to Mr. Gransee's perfectionism.

I now find myself looking at other pics of Arc LS' and trying to see what their serial number is... wow, you're right Sigman, I've got the fever. What a great feeling!

-Jim

V

vlights

some dealers (like me) have the LS in a box and when someone wants one we randomly choose one from the box. So even if we get LS in sequential order (say 1-50) the chances of you getting the first sequential number is still 1/50 =D. Plus throw in the fact that we don't get them in sequential order etc etc.

Haha, the way I see it, its the Luxeon that matters more then the number. Though I would really like to have the LSH-P #001 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello All,

My first post. And, I'd like to take a moment to blame you all for infecting me with flashaholism! Arcism in particular. I came here looking to do a little research, and boy did I come to the right place.

I just recieved my LSH-P (# 025) a couple of days ago. It's terrific. Thank you, Peter, for answering my phone call and questions personally. I also bought a AAA LE, and have been extremely pleased. The AAA was my first LED; up to now I've been thinking my Solitaire was pretty cool. Jeez, why didn't someone tell me?!

A question - other than the uniqueness of it, what is the reason for getting a turqoise led instead of white? I am contemplating a few AAA's as gifts, and was wondering. I understand some of the reasons for green and red, but didn't see any benefits to turquoise. Is this a taste thing?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
My turquoise ARC AAA is my "nighttime around the house" torch. So small it's always in my pocket in the evening, a white one is usually in the other pocket all the time. The tuquoise beam is so much easier on the eyes than the white and really seems to throw out more of a "flood" type beam in room vs the white one. The white one has a "hotspot" with fairly nice peripheral light, but at night side by side, I'll pick the turquiose anytime.

Before I put the money out for the turquoise ARC, I got a little inexpensive keychain "Photon" style turquoise/green...tried it, liked it, and moved up to an ARC AAA (and an eternaLight with the green/white option, and a PALight with a green led, and an InReTech 2AA cyan, and a Mr. Bulk 5 watt cyan! Did I leave anyone with the impression that I like turquoise/green/cyan? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) Did the same thing with an ultraviolet...liked it, and moved up to an ARC AAA!

Playing with the different color keychain lights was is the best way for me to dabble with the colors and see how I like them. A lot of folks like amber/orange...I need to get one of those to check out...

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. I was hoping that was the case. I guess I'll have to reserve one for myself when I get the others as gifts! Does that same "easier on the eyes" quality transcend to larger, brighter lights?

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my LSH 052 a couple of weeks ago and at first thought what a nice little rather quaint light. The small size with or without the twistie tail cap makes it oh so easy to slip into my pant pocket.It's not really powerful but doesn't throw a really pleasant almost stark beam with wonderful surrounding light.Only one 3v lithium to power it up, always forgetting it's in my pocket, always by my side, so smooth, now I hate my sf E1E such a tiny beam, good throw for such a little light but there's nothing more and the clip, the hex head, make it seem way bigger , doesn't glide like my LSH in and out of my pocket, begging me almost to use it once more and again and again. Now it seems the others are too big, too small, forget about the arc aaa, I like this little led light in my pocket.

pyramus

Newly Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gifThat shape, that feel, SOOO seductive, huh? If ever Surefire discovers this attraction...

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got my LSH Standard yesterday -- first one. I was a little disappointed with the intensity. But I knew that would be the case (I have gotten used to a LGI Classic, which is very bright). This Arc was too inexpensive to turn down, and I now have an Arc LS to carry until the LS4s are available.

Yet, I really do like this little sucker. What impresses me most about the LS is the whiteness of the light. Subjectively, it just seems so clean and fresh compared with either the yellowishness of incandescents or the bluishness or greenishness of other LEDs.

It's as if it is alive. (Oh, oh, I think I'm hooked.) . . . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I got my ARC LSH-P. Very nice. Could someone tell me the outside diameter of the head and tail. I am having a Kydex belt sheath made and there are some differences in outside diameters of LS's, old models compared to latest series. I misplaced my caliper. Thanks, Need for tail, and head. I need in 1/1000's of an inch.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my LSH-P (Q4J bin #713) today and was very impressed! Nice size light and much brighter and whiter than any of my other LED's. Not bad for a 1x123 light, and the perfect addition to my C2 and Arc AAA LE EDC lights (one around the neck, one in the pants pocket, one in the jacket pocket). One question though, is the sticker like thing on the lens the scratch resistant coating or is it just a sticker for protection (should I peel it off?)? Can't wait for the LS4, oops! Did I just say that?! Guess I'm hooked now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Thanks Peter Gransee and thanks again to Chris at MT.

Later,
TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
tsg- it's just a protective clear plastic cover. Just start scratching away at the edge with your fingernail and it'll come right off without harm to the lexan.

-Jim

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
my LSH-P is on the way thanks to dan's recent special. pie is partly to blame too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.