Keychain flashlight battle #2, Fenix E01 Vs Arc AAA....

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
I just picked up a couple Fenix E01 keychain lights, as their runtime looks quite impresive, especially on lithiums

I've had the E0 in the past, and was never fully impressed with it, it was a nice light, but mine just felt, well, cheap and "delicate", due to it's light weight, thin-walled construction, also, it's head turned too easily, leading to inadvertant, accidental activation in pocket as well

I traded up to an Arc AAA-P CS, and was more than happy with the solidity of construction and the beam profile of the Arc, but I wasn't a fan of the battery-dimpling post in the bottom of the case, however, the head had decent resistance to turning and it has never accidentally turned on in pocket

Now with the release of the Fenix E01, I have another keychain light to test out....

first off, the battery tube section of the light is *very* solidly built, it feels thick and sturdy, it actually makes the Arc battery tube feel thin by comparison, the E01 appears to be milled out of thicker aluminum tubing than the Arc, as it has a similar inside "lip" as a CMG Infinity, the E01 has two machined flats on the sides of the battery tube, which are actually quite helpful when mouth-holding the E01, the flats give a little more grip than the Arc's round battery tube, the E01 also has a flat bottom, and is capable of tailstanding for use in "candle-mode", the Arc's lug-tail prevents tailstanding in it's default configuration

secondly, the knurling on the E01 is nice and grippy, how it stands up to keyring life remains to be seen, out of the box, it's a hair grippier than the Arc, but not to the point of being abrasive, compared to an E0, the E0 does not feel like it has *any* knurling

thirdly, the head on the E01 *still* turns a hair too easily, but this could be remedied with a good silicone lube, or a slightly thicker O-Ring, the Arc has the ideal amount of turn resistance for me

Fourthly, the LED is set a good deal deeper into the head than either my CS or DS Arc AAA's, this is good for protection of the LED dome, but it does tend to restrict the overall amount of spill, brightness-wise, there doesn't seem to be too much difference in brightness between my DS Arc and the GS E01.
both have a generally bluish hotspot, with yellowish corona and spill, since these are keyring lights, the tint issues endemic to a 5MM white LED are not even worth noting, let alone worrying about, these are emergency/backup/keyhole-finding lights, accurate color balance is not really neccecary, heck, I'd love to see Fenix put in a truly power-sipping red 5MM in the E01, if we get 20 hours total runtime with a slightly thirstier white LED, imagine the runtime on red...

Fifthly, the E01 uses a spring in the battery tube instead of a battery-denting post like the Arc

Sixthly, the E01 has an estimated runtime of 20 hours, at least 10 of that in perfectly-flat regulation, the Arc is semi-regulated, for around 5 hours, with a long tail of dimming light, the Fenix has a definite advantage here

Finally, the E01 is both slightly longer, and slightly wider (diameter) than the Arc, the E01 is about the diameter of a standard AA battery, and about 1/4" longer than a standard AA cell, the Arc is slighty longer and wider than the AAA that powers it, the Arc has a distinct advantage in compactness

both lights are great, each has their advantages and disadvantages though.....

Arc AAA series;
Advantages-
truly compact size, barely larger than it's battery
excellent resistance to accidental turn-on
time-tested durability and reliability

Disadvantages;
negative contact post in the battery tube dents/crushes the negative pole of the battery if tightened too much
shorter runtime
supposedly overdrives the LED beyond spec, reducing LED life at the expense of brightness

Fenix E01 series;
Advantages;
excellent regulated runtime
less overdriving of LED
spring-based negative terminal is kinder to battery
nice grippy knurling
deep set LED protected from damage

Disadvantages;
Unknown long-term reliability (looks like it'll be quite good, perhaps right up there with Arc)
slightly larger diameter and length
less spill than the Arc thanks to the deeply-set LED

either light would be a great keyring light, it's a tough decision for me though, I love the longer regulated runtime of the E01, but it's just a hair too wide and long for keyring carry for me, and since it's a new design from Fenix, it doesn't have the established reliability record that the Arc does, I can rely on the Arc to just work when it's needed, the E01 hasn't been out long enough yet to establish a record

Don't get me wrong, I AM NOT MALIGNING the E01, I have no doubt that it'll be just as reliable as the Arc AAA, it just hasn't been out long enough to prove itself, a simple fact

that said, every other Fenix I've owned has been utterly reliable, with the exception of a problematic L2T (Luxeon) that has a bit of flicker and doesn't show much difference between low and high even with fresh batteries, that original L2T has been my only "bad" Fenix

I look forward to putting the E01 through it's paces, I have every confidence it will pass with flying colours

Great work, Fenix, the E01 is an excellent little keychain light :)

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
had an E0, have an E01, have an Arc-AAA Premium DS and GS (with non-protruding LED).

carrying the Arc GS.

E01 is a great light at a great price, kudos to fenix on that one. but i enjoy the peace of mind that only the arc provides.

paulr

Flashaholic
I don't understand all this stuff about the Arc crushing batteries. It shouldn't be an issue unless you tighten down the bezel like the Incredible Hulk. Just twist it enough to turn the light on and you won't crush the battery.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
You left out the part about the Arc costing 2+ times the price of the Fenix E01...

It's like asking which is a better car, a Honda Accord for $18 K or a Toyota Camry for $8K. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like a no contest decision...

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't understand all this stuff about the Arc crushing batteries. It shouldn't be an issue unless you tighten down the bezel like the Incredible Hulk. Just twist it enough to turn the light on and you won't crush the battery.
For me, it's less about crushing the battery - although that can happen with overzealous tightening - than it is about how the Arc has to conduct current through the threads to work. The threads collect lube and grit between them, making the contact iffy unless they are regularly cleaned and (lightly) relubed. When they get gunked up, the light can get flickery, and thats when people screw it down too much and you end up crushing the battery.

It can be avoided, but the spring loaded clicky design (E01 and all current Fenix twisties, Gerber Infinity twisties, Rayovac Extreme 2AA, etc...) are, to me, a much more reliable design.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I am actually grateful that the first post didn't mention anything about price. Makes it much easier to concentrate on the things that really matter to us ... the lights.

I am looking forward to check out my E01 ... but I ordered orange :green: ... might take a while it seems.

What I really dislike about the Arc is the overdriven LED and the contact problems. Otherwise ... a fine little light. Historical, too :D

bernie

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I am actually grateful that the first post didn't mention anything about price.
bernie

I need to disagree with you Bernie. At the end of the day, price is everything, flashaholic or not. Considering that you can buy at least (2) E01 lights for the cost of (1) premium Arc-AAA light, that has to be an advantage. When you start adding the features of the E01 not found in the Arc, it really stacks the scales against the Arc (in my opinion). If we were able to forget this history of the Arc, put all our good feelings and experiences with Peter aside and pretend that the Arc-GS just came to market from some unknown person or company, it simply does not match-up to the E01 in most categories, with the exception of only (2) things that I can thing of. It's a bit smaller in gurth and it is slight brighter for the first few hours.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Will they run off 10440's?:thinking:

Go ahead and try it. Let us know how you make out. :nana:

Seriously, I doubt it and even if you could, why would you? Nichia's screem enough when over-driven. Besides, you're losing the benefits of the E01 being able to suck all the juice from a battery.

cybersoga

Newly Enlightened
two major plus points for Fenix E01 over the Arc AAA for me - The E01 is fully regulated, and does not rely on conducting electricity through it's threads.

NotASolder

Newly Enlightened
I guess I'm going to have to be the bad guy here:

THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS

Ok it's actually a great thread :thumbsup:, but pics would be welcomed .

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as the price, I paid $54.55 for an Arc Premium GS (that's with the cheapest shipping option). From fenix-store I can purchase 4 E01's and use CPF8 and pay $55.20 with free shipping. So 4 E01's cost roughly the same as an ARC AAA GS.

Currently my Arc GS is back at ARC because the one they sent me had a very crooked emitter, so add and another $6.25 for the priority mail w/ insurance I had to cough up. I could have sent it a cheaper way, but I was trying to speed up the process. I shipped it back on 4/11 and Arc contacted me that they shipped my replacement on 5/2... So much for trying to speed up the process.

Last edited:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good comparison. I have to think though that price is one of (if not the) most important factor when comparing lights. If price didn't matter than people would be comparing a Dodge Neon with a compact Lexus. A 4x price difference is very substantial and needs to be taken into consideration.

In my opinion the E01 is better than the AAAP in every way except maybe on finish. I'll have to carry mine for a while before I can be sure.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think the most impressive thing about the E01 is the FLAT output curve, compared to the ARC's inverted S shaped one..

Crenshaw

geek4christ

Enlightened
Thanks for a very useful comparison MacTech. You handled a sensitive topic with precision wording. While I do think the cost is a factor (it is for me at least), I definitely appreciate it not coming up in your review. It helps us who are very tight with our money give both lights a fair assessment without the emotion of money coming into play.

My assessment...I don't regret buying the E01 so far. Still waiting for it to get to me, though. Fenix, are you listening? I don't care if the colors are perfect, k?

NotASolder

Newly Enlightened
There are lots of pictures in the various E01 review threads

:shrug:

There's more than one way to skin a cat. The pics that would accompany this OP would emphasize the things the original poster thought interesting and worthwhile in the specific frame of reference of a vs. thread.

I'm sure there are at least as many E01 reviews as there are "... lots of pictures in the various E01 review threads". :eek:oo:

:thumbsup:

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
The main reason I did not include price in this comparison (which is a factor, admittedly) is that I was evaluating the lights on their technical merits only, price does not affect their lumen-producing performance and was not factored in

one thing to bear in mind is that I value function over form, performance counts, in fact, to me, performance is primary, cosmetics and price are irrelavent

to use the Lexus Vs. Neon comparison above, I'd favor the Neon, mainly because I don't care about the "luxury features" of the Lexus (basically an overpriced Toyota anyway...)

both vehicles get you from point a to point b, but the Neon would get better mileage in doing so

Pics will be added once I find/replace my digicard reader....